BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 7, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,291 of 5,353
Have you tried the cable? Any issues connecting to DM6? I picked up one of their other copper cables back in November, but I’ve been unable to use it as the right connector won’t attach with my DM6. Both the stock DM6 cable and my custom silver cable connect without any issues.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bnTQuPCM

I’ve been in contact with the NICEHCK seller for a few weeks now. Even sent them a video upon request that proves the connector is faulty. Now they want me to send the cable back before they send a replacement, but wont confirm if they will refund me postage from UK to China. Getting frustrated with the whole thing now and i’m considering just opening an AliExpress dispute to get it resolved.

Open up a dispute right away, it really hurts the company, it's the way to get responses right away. I had to do it when my DM6 went to a bogus address in effort stall because they had to meet a deadline. The seller dicked around for two weeks to give me a refund. Once I opened a dispute, the seller responded right away to please drop the dispute, I told him issue me a immediate refund and I will. Well, he didn't answer and stalled another two days. AliExpress reached out to me and issued the refund. The seller was a michealchan. I left the review he deserved for jerking me!

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,292 of 5,353
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,293 of 5,353
Using an amp with the DM6 is not required (and actually not recommended at all), and it can actually make things worse, when it comes to noise (you are adding basically more circuitry to the equation, each of which introduces more and more noise). The DM6 is 20 ohms, and it's very sensitive (122db), so it should be better straight from your phone.

I know it’s not required, but unless you have a balanced 2,5mm on your iPad or phone.. it’s kinda of a must? I forgot to mention, I use USB (or lightning in apples case). So it should only put the sound to the dac/amp. So I’m guessing the amp is putting the noise. Anyhow will find out when I get the M9.

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,297 of 5,353
My BGVP included cable is faulty too (the right earphone is losing connection). so looks like it`s a bad cables... Or not? I want that Nicehck cheap copper cable too, but now I am not so sure.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,299 of 5,353
I would say, that a "balanced output" is not really necessary for the DM6 (for the reasons I've mentioned) as well. The purpose of the balanced output on most DAPs is to basically reduce/eliminate the stereo crosswalk, and to give more juice to harder-to-drive headphones. No other benefits. It actually should introduce more noise, because there are more "audio paths", meaning more noise is picked up. That's why if you check most DAPs, you will see the noise floor (SNR) of the Single end output much better than the balanced one, because 2 separate paths (especially with DAPs that have dual DAC/AMPs for the two channels) basically means 2x the noise. (Ref - Hiby R6 Pro)

So, you will be getting way better sound when it comes to noise from single end, and better channel separation (stereo crosswalk) with balanced. And the "balanced" with DAPs and earphones shouldn't be confused with "actual balanced", when it comes to XLR/studio "balanced". That "balanced" is completely different in most cases, because it's actual goal is to eliminate noise from source/cables, but that includes additional hardware on both ends (the source and the speakers). Some more expensive DAPs's balanced output might actually have the hardware on the source side, (meaning actual balanced, aka having 3 output per channel, where one is the mass, the second is the signal with positive polarity, and the third is flipped polarity/phase and then through hardware they get combined, and the leftover signal, which would be the noise, gets "cancelled" - basically - noise cancellation), but most DAPs/AMPs (like the Hiby R6 Pro, based from what I saw on their specifications) do not.

And, if you happen to be using your phone's output/jack (and most phones have bad noise floors and crosstalk, basically why DAPs exist, because of the signal-to-noise ratio, and the crosstalk), going into an AMP, you will simply amplify the not so ideal noise from the phone even more, on top of the noise introduced from the additional gear. Basically, you are degrading your signal even more. You might think that it might sound "punchier" with the amp, but that's because amps (and their flilters) often act like EQ, boosting midbass, and some other coloration.

And about the crosstalk, you wouldn't get benefit from that either, because the phone already had channel leakage at it's internals, before reaching the AMP.

(DISCLAIMER: I might not be 100% correct on the deep technical stuff, but that's because I wanted to try to explain things as simple as possible. There is a language barrier as well, so, I apologize if sometimes I am hard to follow, or my terms are incorrect. English is not my native language.)

[EDIT:] I apologize to you, Yell0wBee, for some how missing the fact that you use a dongle. Most of what I've written shouldn't apply to you, but I would assume that the AMP you're using might not be very clean. Can't help you any more than that.

Also, my post was aimed more towards some people, which I noticed they were using a DAP, on the end of which they have an additional AMP attached. That's um... yeah. Overkill would be the most gentle way to put it, especially for the DM6.
Thanks for so interesting explanation. Really good information for us, audio harware and music lovers. As you are technically experienced, so do you know if all 2.5 cables are balanced ( i mean in earphones not these for separates in stereo) and 3.5 single? So when you are buying it in e-shop 2.5 version you will receiving balanced?

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,302 of 5,353
I would say, that a "balanced output" is not really necessary for the DM6 (for the reasons I've mentioned) as well. The purpose of the balanced output on most DAPs is to basically reduce/eliminate the stereo crosswalk, and to give more juice to harder-to-drive headphones. No other benefits. It actually should introduce more noise, because there are more "audio paths", meaning more noise is picked up. That's why if you check most DAPs, you will see the noise floor (SNR) of the Single end output much better than the balanced one, because 2 separate paths (especially with DAPs that have dual DAC/AMPs for the two channels) basically means 2x the noise. (Ref - Hiby R6 Pro)

So, you will be getting way better sound when it comes to noise from single end, and better channel separation (stereo crosswalk) with balanced. And the "balanced" with DAPs and earphones shouldn't be confused with "actual balanced", when it comes to XLR/studio "balanced". That "balanced" is completely different in most cases, because it's actual goal is to eliminate noise from source/cables, but that includes additional hardware on both ends (the source and the speakers). Some more expensive DAPs's balanced output might actually have the hardware on the source side, (meaning actual balanced, aka having 3 output per channel, where one is the mass, the second is the signal with positive polarity, and the third is flipped polarity/phase and then through hardware they get combined, and the leftover signal, which would be the noise, gets "cancelled" - basically - noise cancellation), but most DAPs/AMPs (like the Hiby R6 Pro, based from what I saw on their specifications) do not.

And, if you happen to be using your phone's output/jack (and most phones have bad noise floors and crosstalk, basically why DAPs exist, because of the signal-to-noise ratio, and the crosstalk), going into an AMP, you will simply amplify the not so ideal noise from the phone even more, on top of the noise introduced from the additional gear. Basically, you are degrading your signal even more. You might think that it might sound "punchier" with the amp, but that's because amps (and their flilters) often act like EQ, boosting midbass, and some other coloration.

And about the crosstalk, you wouldn't get benefit from that either, because the phone already had channel leakage at it's internals, before reaching the AMP.

(DISCLAIMER: I might not be 100% correct on the deep technical stuff, but that's because I wanted to try to explain things as simple as possible. There is a language barrier as well, so, I apologize if sometimes I am hard to follow, or my terms are incorrect. English is not my native language.)

[EDIT:] I apologize to you, Yell0wBee, for some how missing the fact that you use a dongle. Most of what I've written shouldn't apply to you, but I would assume that the AMP you're using might not be very clean. Can't help you any more than that.

Also, my post was aimed more towards some people, which I noticed they were using a DAP, on the end of which they have an additional AMP attached. That's um... yeah. Overkill would be the most gentle way to put it, especially for the DM6.

No worries mate:) Thanks for all that info, I’m sure some will get help out of it.

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,304 of 5,353
Just got my BGVP DM6 IEMs after an almost 2-month wait. Initial impressions with the stock supplied cable are that they are pretty good! I'm sure they need some burn-in and I have another, better quality and much softer MMCX cable that I ordered from Ali Express to try out. It'll be interesting to compare the DM6 with my AKG N40 IEMs. Both were around the same cost. At the moment I'm using the supplied tips but I have some Comply foams to try out.

One thing I did notice, compared to my AKG N40s, is that there isn't a reassuring click when attaching the MMCX cable. On my N40s I get a nice tight click to indicate the cable is securely attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back