BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #1,636 of 5,353
I’ve spent at least the same cost on tips as I have done on the DM6.

For my ears the following fit the best:

Earsonics large silicone tips:
http://www.earsonics.com/store/produit/tips-silicone-mono-flange/
Final Audio Edge Style Serieos Type E (size LL) are also great.
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fin...ype-e-black-assorted-ss-s-m-l-ll-5-pairs.html
Equally well fitting are the Symbio W (large), however, for me, these also reduce the treble a touch and the mids:
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/mandarines-symbio-eartips-w-widebore.html

Stock tips are great as well.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,637 of 5,353
Get a wide range of opinions. For me anyway I understand a wider bore gets better midrange and treble. Where these can be slightly on the dark lush side. But I stick with them as dark and lush is what I am after.

Though also when I try wider bore tips, it almost changes to where I think I don’t have an airtight fit? It may be that only the midrange and treble boost make it seem that way? So for whatever reason I just stick with Sony Hybrid Tips. It would be interesting for more to recommend tips. I just stick with the sound I like.

Thanks for your insights.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #1,638 of 5,353
I definitely agree with folks that the fit can be a bit strange--with my SE530s and the other Shures I'd owned before that, I feel like the seal was either there or it wasn't. With these it can be a little in between. That doesn't make any sense, though, so I'm guessing it's due to the fact that I haven't used any foam tips that really fit me properly with the DM6 yet, like I had on my Shures. In fact, the triple flanges I've been using could indeed provide levels of seal... depending on how many flanges actually are sealed tight.

I think the symbios felt sealed no matter what; they were just a bit too pressure-inducing for me.

I've got lots on the way, though. Comply-style, the Sony hybrids, and Kz stars... maybe one other, as well. I'll keep y'all updated, of course.

Jan 17, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,639 of 5,353
I’ve spent at least the same cost on tips as I have done on the DM6.

For my ears the following fit the best:

Earsonics large silicone tips:
http://www.earsonics.com/store/produit/tips-silicone-mono-flange/
Final Audio Edge Style Serieos Type E (size LL) are also great.
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fin...ype-e-black-assorted-ss-s-m-l-ll-5-pairs.html
Equally well fitting are the Symbio W (large), however, for me, these also reduce the treble a touch and the mids:
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/mandarines-symbio-eartips-w-widebore.html

Stock tips are great as well.

Tips are everything. Some believe IEM fit is also close to everything, but the correct air-tight connection completely MAKES the sound, and enhances the fit.

I definitely agree with folks that the fit can be a bit strange--with my SE530s and the other Shures I'd owned before that, I feel like the seal was either there or it wasn't. With these it can be a little in between. That doesn't make any sense, though, so I'm guessing it's due to the fact that I haven't used any foam tips that really fit me properly with the DM6 yet, like I had on my Shures. In fact, the triple flanges I've been using could indeed provide levels of seal... depending on how many flanges actually are sealed tight.

I think the symbios felt sealed no matter what; they were just a bit too pressure-inducing for me.

I've got lots on the way, though. Comply-style, the Sony hybrids, and Kz stars... maybe one other, as well. I'll keep y'all updated, of course.

That is so true that it seems the DM6 can go into many different forms of fitting. It’s not a bad thing but it can be a confusing thing. Some IEMs are like a light bulb where they are on or off; a fit or not. The DM6 can find itself in different precarious places, sounding like it might be in place or not? It’s an issue that could be perplexing. IEMs have always been this way with some folks getting partial fit to attenuate bass, but I’m pretty sure the DM6 responds best with a 100% air-tight fit.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #1,641 of 5,353
Guys, what sources you are using with dm6? I mean does it really need high level source ? It seems that it is also a little bit picky for lower bitrate files. Is it so ? As i haven't much time to test it. But it looks like for dm6 good quality, with low noise source also is a need. Also spotify bitrate a little bit too low for it. It shows everything and with them i see all problems in the source. Now will need some portable dac for it or separate dap/player. So need you experience. What combination you have and happy with it and when you think source already isn't bottleneck for dm6?

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #1,642 of 5,353
Guys, what sources you are using with dm6? I mean does it really need high level source ? It seems that it is also a little bit picky for lower bitrate files. Is it so ? As i haven't much time to test it. But it looks like for dm6 good quality, with low noise source also is a need. Also spotify bitrate a little bit too low for it. It shows everything and with them i see all problems in the source. Now will need some portable dac for it or separate dap/player. So need you experience. What combination you have and happy with it and when you think source already isn't bottleneck for dm6?

When I purchased them in Thailand I used my IPod Touch. They were nice and l could tell that they were special. Though when I returned home the Sony WM 1A and WM 1Z in balanced mode took them to a marvelous better place. Still I find 320kbps to be fine. They actually make 320kbps shine with the Sony players. Though I feel 16bit 44.1 sounds slighly better. They can scale and even improve more with better desktop gear. Much of the bit-rate thing could be that I listen to EDM and some Metal/Rock. Low bit-rates seem to not matter much with EDM? Though anything less than 320 is noticeable as BAD. Much of the 320 I listen to is really, really enjoyable. :)

So, the DM6 may be thought of as forgiving? Both with the ability to scale up and be forgiving; if you can believe it?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,643 of 5,353

I run them balanced through a Fiio Q1 MK2 connected to my Huawei P9 being the source mainly loaded with FLAC files. For the gym I don´t wanna carry the Q1 around and just plug them into my phone single ended. The quality is noticably better when playing balanced tough.

Also I own a Zishan DSD Pro DAP but with it´s pretty powerful output level the sensitive DM6 don´t sound as good - a bit hot I would call that pairing.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,644 of 5,353
When I purchased them in Thailand I used my IPod Touch. They were nice and l could tell that they were special. Though when I returned home the Sony WM 1A and WM 1Z in balanced mode took them to a marvelous better place. Still I find 320kbps to be fine. They actually make 320kbps shine with the Sony players. Though I feel 16bit 44.1 sounds slighly better. They can scale and even improve more with better desktop gear. Much of the bit-rate thing could be that I listen to EDM and some Metal/Rock. Low bit-rates seem to not matter much with EDM? Though anything less than 320 is noticeable as BAD. Much of the 320 I listen to is really, really enjoyable. :)

So, the DM6 may be thought of as forgiving? Both with the ability to scale up and be forgiving; if you can believe it?

yup, it can scale up but still forgiving, you will still enjoy the music from your phone, but sonic details will be revealed in better DAPs

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #1,645 of 5,353
When I purchased them in Thailand I used my IPod Touch. They were nice and l could tell that they were special. Though when I returned home the Sony WM 1A and WM 1Z in balanced mode took them to a marvelous better place. Still I find 320kbps to be fine. They actually make 320kbps shine with the Sony players. Though I feel 16bit 44.1 sounds slighly better. They can scale and even improve more with better desktop gear. Much of the bit-rate thing could be that I listen to EDM and some Metal/Rock. Low bit-rates seem to not matter much with EDM? Though anything less than 320 is noticeable as BAD. :)
I heard that dm6 goes very well with sony players. Don't know why it is. But perhaps sony, especially higher end gear has some specification that goes well with dm6 signature. For edm bit rate not so important i agree. As sometimes i wonder how good it sounds even from youtube. But not so with live "genres". So for them bitrate is really important. For me dm6 still revealing more than masking in sound.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,646 of 5,353
yup, it can scale up but still forgiving, you will still enjoy the music from your phone, but sonic details will be revealed in better DAPs
48506EDA-83FD-41FE-9EF8-647A4E4D954E.gif

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,647 of 5,353
I run them balanced through a Fiio Q1 MK2 connected to my Huawei P9 being the source mainly loaded with FLAC files. For the gym I don´t wanna carry the Q1 around and just plug them into my phone single ended. The quality is noticably better when playing balanced tough.

Also I own a Zishan DSD Pro DAP but with it´s pretty powerful output level the sensitive DM6 don´t sound as good - a bit hot I would call that pairing.
So fiio q1 mk2 for your ears seems as a good combo? I now have more desktop dac, their newest fiio k3. Nice combination, difference is realy noticable when going from phone. Havent tested balanced output yet as i think it will be even beter. But also will need portable solution so still havent decided to go separate player or better dac/amp+ phone. Zishan was one of my options but as you said it has too high impedance and this ruins sound with dm6 . It should be way lower. But still i think dm6 deserves good source

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,648 of 5,353
I heard that dm6 goes very well with sony players. Don't know why it is. But perhaps sony, especially higher end gear has some specification that goes well with dm6 signature. For edm bit rate not so important i agree. As sometimes i wonder how good it sounds even from youtube. But not so with live "genres". So for them bitrate is really important. For me dm6 still revealing more than masking in sound.
I have been listening to a couple amps and DAPs, and one is the FiiO Alpen 2 E17K (amp only). I notice that it is one of my more flatter response devices, combined with the Apple Touch where the Sony TA desktop is also flat but slightly darker. Of the two Sony Walkmans the 1A is also fairly flat but may have a slight treble boost which can give the impression of resolution and detail. The 1A is not bright or dark but may just be in the middle with a nice soundstage. The 1Z has a thicker sound with the DM6 which is arrived at by the soundstage being more forward and maybe deeper, larger. The 1Z also has a slight treble boost over the 1A and bass boost, which really makes the DM6 their best in what I own. Early on I thought the 1A was better. Still the DM6 plus 1A is the best darn value; if that’s all I had I would be more than happy; the combo is just so musical and engaging?

Some people may question placing a $199 IEM behind a 3K DAP, but the combo is fine. If anything the thick analog sound is a good match. Just thick but detailed bass, nice soundstage and a listenable treble.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,649 of 5,353
I have been listening to a couple players, and one is the FiiO Alpen 2 E17K (amp only). I notice that it is one of my more flatter response devices, combined with the Apple Touch where the Sony TA desktop is also flat but slightly darker. Of the two Sony Walkmans the 1A is also fairly flat but may have a slight treble boost which can give the impression of resolution and detail. The 1A is not bright or dark but may just be in the middle with a nice soundstage. The 1Z has a thicker sound with the DM6 which is arrived at by the soundstage being more forward and maybe deeper, larger. The 1Z also has a slight treble boost over the 1A and bass boost, which really makes the DM6 their best in what I own. Early on I thought the 1A was better. Still the DM6 plus 1A is the best darn value; if that’s all I had I would be more than happy; the combo is just so musical and engaging?
Well, i am more and more impressed by this and begining to want sony as a source for dm6. If i will have possibility i will try to listen them, but somehow i think that it really should be good synergy and musicality. As i dont like too technical and dry sound signature. I was worried that dm6 will be too technical, but as i tested them they has good balance with technicality and pure musicality. Really good balance, someone in bgvp knew what they are doing. Nice tuning..

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,650 of 5,353
Well, i am more and more impressed by this and begining to want sony as a source for dm6. If i will have possibility i will try to listen them, but somehow i think that it really should be good synergy and musicality. As i dont like too technical and dry sound signature. I was worried that dm6 will be too technical, but as i tested them they has good balance with technicality and pure musicality. Really good balance, someone in bgvp knew what they are doing. Nice tuning..

You really need a 4.4mm balanced cable for the DM6 with the 1A. But with a normal used 1A for sale for $699 it’s a relatively cheap combination for what you hear. The sound is also so middle of the road that it would not be offensive in any one direction basically pleasing bass heads and treble heads. I know that sounds weird but the combo is totally middle of the road. It’s just like the DM6 is pleasing a lot of people maybe because it’s very evenhanded? But if you have really good musical detail it can transcend the person’s need for more treble or bass, in my opinion. That’s what the 1A and DM6 is, just a detailed soundstage with great speed and resolution. Also the DM6 is just slightly warm and the 1A is slightly warm. But so little that the two would never get called that; it’s only noticeable if you try to look for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back