BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,801 of 5,353
Can someone give me a link to KZ star tips? I can't find them anywhere
Are there good tips that prevent dirt from getting inside the earphones without impacting the sound?

Thank you

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #1,802 of 5,353
Thank for sharing your experience with all of us. Happy not ordered zishan as for dm6 it is not the best option. Perrhaps some sony (as guys there shared) or cheaper fiio m6 would be better option. So will decide later. With other sources i have - dm6 has no hiss, but with fiio k3 dac there is small amount of it so ordered cheap 20 ohm adapter for this.
Thank you. On your place I would like to test this Fiio before buying. I had also Sabaj DA3 with same DAC (ESS Sabre ES9018Q2C) and was too bright and harsh for DM6. Maybe it will be not in Fiio, application matters, but Sabre usually have digital upper freq.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #1,803 of 5,353
Anybody compared these with anything from the campfire audio offerings? Like andromeda or Solaris? Been hearing that these compete with $1000 iems so I just want some insight.

I just got my DM6 a couple days ago and I am comparing it to the Andromeda S now and I needed to come here to share my experience in quick words. :)

(Rig: Tidal hifi + Topping DX7s)

First trying it with Music I like and now how it should sound.

Wiz Khalifa - On my level (or pretty much anything out of the Rolling Paper album) - This album has really good low, mids and "clicks" on high frequency that shows straight away if a gear is Hash.

DM6 - Volume -40dbs - the highs get to a point that "hurts" some times. lows are slight muddy, still really good. Mids slight recessed. Really good imaging.
Andromeda - Volume -50dbs (needs much less power for the same punch) - a bit more neutral and the highs are definitely there and detailed, but doesn't get close to "hurt" as the DM6. Lows and Mids are there and are really detailed, but not muddy or overwhelming. Imaging is amazing and clearly better than DM6.

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the jungle (Master) - Guns has a lot of mids and highs

DM6 - Volume -40dbs - Again, the highs are really present here and detailed, but too much for me that overcome everything else. Lows are there, but not the best song to test lows, still really good. Mids more forward than the Andromeda. Really good imaging.
Andromeda - Volume -50dbs (needs much less power for the same punch) - a bit more neutral and detailed high that don't "hurt". Lows as per DM6, not the best song to test Lows. Mids are definetely there, but a bit recessed compared to DM6, but still really detailed. Imaging is amazing and clearly better than DM6.

(tried other things too) Overall DM6 is a really good IEM, but I can't ignore the "S" problem (singer using S or drum plates) on the highs that gets a bit too much sometimes., much better than my KZ AS10 though, but Andromeda S is still a better all around, but for the price difference and if you are not as sensible to Highs as myself, is definitely a great buy.

I will try to explain in a simpler way (if that's even possible for me :ksc75smile:)

When you bump up the lower frequency relative to the treble (something I've explained with some science here), it would appear to the human ear that the treble is less (because the brain always adapts, and tries to "balance" what we hear), which I believe is something all of you guys/gals know, but perhaps never thought about until now? Anyway.

Here's some basic "illustrations",describing what happened to me with the DM5 when switching from the stock SPC cable to the NICEHCK pure copper one, and why the copper cables will make the DM6 more "pleasing" (again, this is no way accurate, it is a simple "illustration" describing what I perceived when I was doing my tests):

(DM5 FR graph is from DocHoliday's BGVP DM5 review, used as a base point)

As you can see, what happens, is pretty much the frequency response "plane" tilts (as well as some other things, but I'm trying to keep it simple haha). This is what gives the "impression", that the treble is "corrected" when using Copper cable vs. Silver-plated with IEMs like the DM6. But keep in mind, that this will NOT change the overall signature (the peaks), which I think is the main point of confusion when it comes to people arguing about cables. The "Adjusted for conductivity" thing is to show you that I take into consideration cable conductivity, which means more volume for cables with less resistance, like the NICECHK Copper cable. :)

I think the pictures are simple enough, but if you have questions let me know.

- - -

In conclusion, everybody should try one of the recommend copper cables with the DM6 (they are cheap, so this is not about buying some expensive cables), and listen to it some more to adjust to the signature, especially if you were using IEMs that have peaks at 10k before (10k peaks are not natural, they are usually considered coloration, and the DM6 is considered neutral for that reason). :) Based on what @Hawaiibadboy says (and I trust him 100%, even though I haven't got my DM6 yet), the DM6 is worth "fighting for". :gs1000smile: Hope this helps. Cheers.

[EDIT:] I figured that I can recreate the change with illustrator, since this is simply a vector, so here's another image:

[EDIT 2:] Sorry guys, I have made a small mistake with the previous image. I've fixed that, and included graphs for both conductivity compensated and not.

Really good post, mate.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #1,804 of 5,353
Hi, do the soundstage and dynamics decrease with this cable when compared to the stock one with your t4's? Also with this cable on do the mids get more body to them because I do remember in some reviews people stating male vocals can sound a bit thin at times which would be a little concern for me with this iem.

HI, Hmmm, good question. Difficult to say as the soundstage varies with different songs. I find often elements of music seem to magically appear in the far right left and left extending beyond the normal soundstage and then disappear again. very nice!
Its certainly never appeared to my ears that the male vocals are thin. Not sure how you could warm up mids and at the same time make male vocals thinner? I can only say that on my own set up I have not experienced any thin-ness with male vocals. Its possible that the vocals could be richer with a certain tuned DD driver added into the mix but then one of the points of BA drivers is give incredible clarity in the mids and highs. (In general)
If its helpful, I'll do a proper test tonight after work? but as I say, thin-ness in vocals is not something that has ever occurred to me listening to the T4's (using the 8 or 16 core copper cables)

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #1,807 of 5,353
HI, Hmmm, good question. Difficult to say as the soundstage varies with different songs. I find often elements of music seem to magically appear in the far right left and left extending beyond the normal soundstage and then disappear again. very nice!
Its certainly never appeared to my ears that the male vocals are thin. Not sure how you could warm up mids and at the same time make male vocals thinner? I can only say that on my own set up I have not experienced any thin-ness with male vocals. Its possible that the vocals could be richer with a certain tuned DD driver added into the mix but then one of the points of BA drivers is give incredible clarity in the mids and highs. (In general)
If its helpful, I'll do a proper test tonight after work? but as I say, thin-ness in vocals is not something that has ever occurred to me listening to the T4's (using the 8 or 16 core copper cables)
Thanks a lot for your response, this was really helpful and yes it would be great if you could do a mids comparison (fullness, clarity, speed and detail etc) with the 16 core when compared to the stock when you are free. also, I am generally used to iems that are more full bodied and need an iem with good stage and great vocals both male and female.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #1,808 of 5,353
Thanks a lot for your response, this was really helpful and yes it would be great if you could do a mids comparison (fullness, clarity, speed and detail etc) with the 16 core when compared to the stock when you are free. also, I am generally used to iems that are more full bodied and need an iem with good stage and great vocals both male and female.
No worries, Happy to help buddy
I have another full bodied rich [4xBA 1x DD] IEM so I'll also compare with that
Will be interesting - I only used the stock OCC silver plated once as when I used the 8 Core NICE cable I instantly got the low end (that I would have got from a hybrid) and although I love the clarity of BA I do sometimes miss the added rich low end of DD. Its odd though, I dont find myself experiencing a loss of low end with IEMS like this when I listen, everything sounds wonderfully balanced but maybe as I get older I enjoy low end more? :)
(Im quite busy though so if you don't hear back from me soon, give me a nudge!!)

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #1,809 of 5,353
Thank you for the detailed comparison! :) Epic.

The huge peak at 16kHz with the DM6 is the reason for the consentient sibilance, mainly the ""ssss" (or the snake hiss as some people call it :o2smile:). I am sensitive to the these frequencies as well, but we shall see if I can "tame the beast", once I have it. I own the TRN V80, which I think it might be even worse, but my hearing can adjust to it after awhile. The problem is, the V80 is not worth the "adjustment" IMHO, because it's worse than the T2 when it comes to detail.

That's the Snake I'm talking about. :)

just realised I forgot to mention instrument separation and sound stage. For my taste (mainly Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop) that doesn't have much instruments anyway, the DM6 sounds really impressive for the price compared to the Andromeda, I can tell every beat of the song and where the instruments are. Again, Andromeda's are unbeatable, but the price difference may give some points to DM6. For the price, DM6 is still an amazing buy.

PS.: If you don't mind Sound FX and electronic music, I strongly recommend "Doom - Original Game Sound Track by Mick Gordon". It's freaking amazing to test any Gear. Start with the track "Bfg Division"

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #1,810 of 5,353
Here's a link to the KZ star tips. I've tried them (the mediums), and they fit like a glove. :ksc75smile: The best isolation ever. Really impressive.

And about preventing dirt, I'm thinking about using some pieces of "spandex" (this thin, transparent woman socks material). It's very thin and elastic, so the affect on the sound (mainly the soundstage) should be minimal. So yeah, you can try that.
Those tips comes with the KZ AS10, they are actually impressive good and isolate really well, better than the so called Spinfit (CP100, that I definitely didn't like at all on any of my IEMs). BUT, after a couple hours I start to few the star cuts and that annoys a bit. Do you feel the same?

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #1,811 of 5,353
Here's a link to the KZ star tips. I've tried them (the mediums), and they fit like a glove. :ksc75smile: The best isolation ever. Really impressive.

And about preventing dirt, I'm thinking about using some pieces of "spandex" (this thin, transparent woman socks material). It's very thin and elastic, so the affect on the sound (mainly the soundstage) should be minimal. So yeah, you can try that.

I have these from some KZ, possibly KZ zs6 but i can be wrong. Because i didn't had to order these separately. Perhaps these they are using for some kz models and they really are very good in isolation and comfort. Also frequencies with dm6 seem right. So these and symbio peeled medium tips are my favorites right now.

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #1,813 of 5,353
That's the Snake I'm talking about. :)

just realised I forgot to mention instrument separation and sound stage. For my taste (mainly Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop) that doesn't have much instruments anyway, the DM6 sounds really impressive for the price compared to the Andromeda, I can tell every beat of the song and where the instruments are. Again, Andromeda's are unbeatable, but the price difference may give some points to DM6. For the price, DM6 is still an amazing buy.

PS.: If you don't mind Sound FX and electronic music, I strongly recommend "Doom - Original Game Sound Track by Mick Gordon". It's freaking amazing to test any Gear. Start with the track "Bfg Division"

That’s where my value is too, in the DM6 rhythm section; it’s addictive!

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #1,814 of 5,353
I just got my DM6 a couple days ago and I am comparing it to the Andromeda S now and I needed to come here to share my experience in quick words. :)

(Rig: Tidal hifi + Topping DX7s)

First trying it with Music I like and now how it should sound.

Wiz Khalifa - On my level (or pretty much anything out of the Rolling Paper album) - This album has really good low, mids and "clicks" on high frequency that shows straight away if a gear is Hash.

DM6 - Volume -40dbs - the highs get to a point that "hurts" some times. lows are slight muddy, still really good. Mids slight recessed. Really good imaging.
Andromeda - Volume -50dbs (needs much less power for the same punch) - a bit more neutral and the highs are definitely there and detailed, but doesn't get close to "hurt" as the DM6. Lows and Mids are there and are really detailed, but not muddy or overwhelming. Imaging is amazing and clearly better than DM6.

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the jungle (Master) - Guns has a lot of mids and highs

DM6 - Volume -40dbs - Again, the highs are really present here and detailed, but too much for me that overcome everything else. Lows are there, but not the best song to test lows, still really good. Mids more forward than the Andromeda. Really good imaging.
Andromeda - Volume -50dbs (needs much less power for the same punch) - a bit more neutral and detailed high that don't "hurt". Lows as per DM6, not the best song to test Lows. Mids are definetely there, but a bit recessed compared to DM6, but still really detailed. Imaging is amazing and clearly better than DM6.

(tried other things too) Overall DM6 is a really good IEM, but I can't ignore the "S" problem (singer using S or drum plates) on the highs that gets a bit too much sometimes., much better than my KZ AS10 though, but Andromeda S is still a better all around, but for the price difference and if you are not as sensible to Highs as myself, is definitely a great buy.

Just got the DM6, I'm comparing with Andro S as well and agree with your finding. I do find DM6's soundstage is wider but shorter. I'm going to burn in for another few days will test again.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #1,815 of 5,353
Thank you. On your place I would like to test this Fiio before buying. I had also Sabaj DA3 with same DAC (ESS Sabre ES9018Q2C) and was too bright and harsh for DM6. Maybe it will be not in Fiio, application matters, but Sabre usually have digital upper freq.
Agree with fiio. Me too wanted to test fiio m6 first. But i think it's not so dependent on the exact dac than on it's implementation. But i could imagine that fiio usually a little bit too neutral and for dm6 i want warmer source as armatures compensates this. I heard topping from cheaper Chinese manufacturers has good reputation. One of my possible buys in the future their portable dac nX4 dsd. Don't think that such as chord mojo are worth bigger investment. As i am more mobile phone + dac than separate dac user. The 9038 chip used in NX4 is possibly better than 9018 with dx6. But no one will say till experience this with my own ears. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back