BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
May 27, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #5,251 of 5,353
IMG_20210521_214759.jpg

Late to the party with my custom DM8. Also whats with BGVP and its apperent lack of QC, OOB the right connector on the cable is half dead with constant cutting in and out.

That being said just curous, would a SPC or silver cable be better for the DM8 in terms of tightening the imaging? My stock DN2 cable I feel isnt doing it justice.

First impressions is that its a very balanced sounding iem but with a tad too much warmth although I atribute that more to the cable. Hosnestly subbass is even better than when I tried the UIEM version. A s a ciem it comes as a solid sound with rumble instead of the pulse like BA subass I heard with the UIEM version. Works well with pop, rock, speedcore, noise and symphonic metal.
I had issues with my stock cable that came with the NS9's. It had distortion coming out of the left channel. Was sent a replacement by BGVP via the store I have purchased the NS9. Also. I have ordered Shanling M3X out of curiosity. Mainly as a more portable device I can take to the gym and outside, and now I understand why someone might hate NS9. They do need a decent source, otherwise, you can really hear the lack in the mids. Sorry if saying obvious stuff)

May 27, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #5,252 of 5,353
Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX
Walkman 1Z
MrWalkman's Midnight Plus, Region "J"
BGVP DM6 Universal IEM
9AFCFF16-AD82-41FC-9598-38510F953180.jpeg

May 30, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #5,254 of 5,353
Hey guys! Here are my quick first impressions of the upcoming BGVP NE5. I got a pre-release version with only the cable, one ear tip on the nozzle and 3 tuning filters - Shadow Grey, Champagne Gold and Red. It is expected to release next month, priced at $549. Some would say this is almost a full review, but well what can I say, I kinda got carried away! :sweat_smile:

BGVP NE5 (1DD+2BA+2EST)

BGVP NE5 Right.jpeg

Build quality, fit and noise isolation.
Very well built Shadow Grey (smokey nickel) coloured 7000 series Aluminium alloy shells. They are perfectly milled, plated and have an extremely smooth surface with a semi-custom shape that slides and fits in my ear perfectly. Shells are slightly on the bigger side and fit my above average size ears like a glove but may protrude outside in smaller ears. However since they have nice semi-custom shaped contours, they should fit most ears well. It comes with detachable tuning nozzle filters for a bit of tuning customisation. They complete the semi-custom contours of the shells with good length and enable a medium to deep insertion fit depending on the choice of ear tips. The threads on the filters and shell are long, so they screw in perfectly and securely. Noise isolation is on the average side since the shell has a vent on top for the dynamic driver.

Tuning Filters.
BGVP has new patented tech where they have a vent in the Champagne Gold and Red filters with an acoustic filter on them that tweaks the sound. If one doesn't know, it's easy to miss since it is so small! I haven’t had a lot of time to A/B the filters back and forth but in my quick tests, I feel Shadow Grey (SG) has most amount of bass, Red a bit less than SG with a tiny bit more lower treble and Champagne Gold (CG) has the least amount of bass in comparison but these differences are more minute than substantial.

BGVP NE5 Filters.jpeg

Quick Sound Impressions.
NE5 is a tri-brid with a config of 1DD + 2BA + 2EST with an impedance of 10Ω and sensitivity of 108dB. It has a Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) Dynamic driver, 1 Sonion BA, 1 Knowles BA and a dual Sonion EST. My impressions are with the Champagne Gold and Red filter since they had the best bass to treble balance to my liking in my quick tests.

NE5 has a very punchy and big sounding signature with a slightly warm but natural tonality. It is more musical and fun than reference or clinical. It has a 7-9dB bass shelf (depending on the filter) which boosts not just the sub-bass but also a bit of mid-bass and a bit of lower midrange in the 250-500Hz range compared to neutral. As a result, it not only has strong sub-bass rumble, but also good mid-bass slam. The slightly fuller 250-500Hz lower midrange adds strong weight to snares as well as vocals. Kicks in songs have well rounded natural organic punch that one casually expects from a dynamic driver rather than them being small, sharp or clicky. Upper-midrange has a forward presentation with around 12dB pinna gain boost to balance the bass shelf, which helps instruments have good strong definition and presence. Most instruments have a natural tonality with a slightly fuller and warmer tinge. Lower treble is natural and well-balanced without any intrusive peaks standing out particularly. NE5's upper-treble has good extension till 20kHz but is tuned very slightly on the warmer side. I personally would’ve like a bit more upper-treble presence to perfect NE5 to my preferences but I enjoy the stock tuning as it is too. Plus the warmer character helps me boost volume levels a little above average when I want to, without any harshness coming in the way. Acoustic guitars have good presence and clarity but are ever so slightly warmer sounding compared to IEMs like Moondrop Blessing2 or S8/A8 because of slightly fuller 150-500Hz. What I really like is how NE5 presents note definition, instrument realism and dynamic punch of mixes, making me notice every instrument in the mix without it ever coming off as clinical or dry. Also, it has very good resolution and clarity for the musical fun sound signature it has as well as for the price.

I tried X Ambassadors’ song ‘Gorgeous’ first and was impressed by how NE5 presented a holographic soundstage with strong bass, kick and snare punch as well as good clarity, instrument definition and precise imaging. I recommend everyone check this song out if you haven't. It's a nice pop meets rock song with a nice interesting mix. Anyway, in general even though NE5's bass is well present, NE5 has a clean presentation in the centre without the bass ever overpowering the mix and all instruments always having good resolution, imaging and definition.

These are just my first impressions of the NE5. I’ll let you know more about it as well as compare it with multiple IEMs in my full review but for now, NE5 seems very well priced to me at $549 and is a nice upgrade over BGVP's previous DM8 and DM7 as well as is a strong contender when it comes to fun IEMs in the sub-$600 category. Even though I wouldn't necessarily classify NE5 as a bass head IEM but most people who like IEMs to have good bass presence without compromising on definition, clarity or details will probably dig the NE5. I'm not really a bass head and I certainly do. A little upper-treble boost and it would've been even better, but that's just me with my preferences in mind. :D

BGVP NE5 Solo + DAP.jpeg

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #5,255 of 5,353
$600!?

Damn, that's some arrogance, considering the last $350 flagship you produced was very disappointing and the preceding $175 nine driver hybrid you produced was also heavily flawed. And both arrived to me with Quality issues...

How are we supposed to believe that you're not just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks? How do we know which flagships you're serious about and which ones you're not?

May 31, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #5,256 of 5,353
$600!?

Damn, that's some arrogance, considering the last $350 flagship you produced was very disappointing and the preceding $175 nine driver hybrid you produced was also heavily flawed. And both arrived to me with Quality issues...

How are we supposed to believe that you're not just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks? How do we know which flagships you're serious about and which ones you're not?
No more BGVP

May 31, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #5,258 of 5,353
I’m totally happy with my 2018 BGVP DM6. Purchased it before BGVP was famous? Just listening to it the last week and it’s amazing. New aftermarket firmware in the DAP really makes it shine.

May 31, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #5,259 of 5,353
I’m totally happy with my 2018 BGVP DM6. Purchased it before BGVP was famous? Just listening to it the last week and it’s amazing. New aftermarket firmware in the DAP really makes it shine.
i remember when reviewers praised these before they realized you had to get lucky with QC

May 31, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #5,260 of 5,353
i remember when reviewers praised these before they realized you had to get lucky with QC
Yes, I don’t know why it’s so good now? Better than S6Rui? I don’t notice grain or bright treble or anything derogatory? I keep telling myself I should notice classic BA timbre and metallic sheen, but it’s just not there with the music I’m listening to?

May 31, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #5,261 of 5,353
$600!?

Actually, BGVP EST12 (8BA+4EST) is BGVP's flagship IEM at around $1500 and is still one of my favourite neutrally tuned IEMs, probably in my overall top 5 along with IEMs like 64 Audio U12t. I've tried almost their whole lineup and reviewed some of them. I personally didn't like DM6 and Zero but I quite liked VG4, DM7 and DH3 when I reviewed them and have the DM8 here too which sounds pretty good to me as a fun tuned set. Oh I liked quite a few things about their previous $1300 flagship V12 (12BA) too and would probably choose it over something like Andromeda pre-2020, even though I personally tend to go for more reference-ish sets myself and there are other sets that are more my thing in that price range.

See, every brand has great, good and 'not your cup of tea' IEMs. Some are hits and some misses. Even in case of 64 Audio, a brand that I have high respect for, there are some IEMs I dig a lot and some aren't really my cup of tea. What I generally recommend people do is wait for reviews, graphs from reputable sources and community feedback before buying an IEM if one wants to be absolutely safe. If you know how to read graphs, learn what you like and what you don't and choose an IEM accordingly as per your preferences after having checked the graph and cross-referred multiple reviews and community feedback. That's the safest thing you can do. No need to buy every new IEM being released without reading any feedback. Best to do some good research and keep your wallet safe in the meantime! Haha!
Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #5,262 of 5,353
Cool flex. I may not have been gullible enough to spend all the thousands of dollars to hear those top models that you were most likely GIVEN. But I'll tell ya what, Getting broken earphones for $350 is bad, man. Not matter how many expensive flagships you list, it don't fix that.

I'm not a rookie here I don't need a reminder to look at graphs before I buy things 🤣🤣 what I need is some integrity from audio mfgs.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #5,264 of 5,353
Cool flex. I may not have been gullible enough to spend all the thousands of dollars to hear those top models that you were most likely GIVEN.
I get so tired of these sort of comments, like review samples are "free gear". If anyone, especially a reviewer, considers review samples as something akin to a gift or given for free, then their heart is not in the right place. I know a lot of reviewers and I know some of them do indeed view review samples as something like a gift. Free gear they call their own and feel they can sell off to make a quick buck. Those are the same people who will bad mouth a manufacturer or product purely because they have been denied a sample.

The reviewers I am friends with are not like that. They are hard workers who review as a hobby because they love music, love audio gear and want to share their passion and their thoughts with others freely. Some even are professional musicians, others provide feedback on prototypes without ever asking credit for it, and all of them put in a lot of work to build up their expertise and create high quality content. The review samples they have are considered tools of the trade, so they can make comparisons and answer endless questions about them. Samples are never sold and often sent around for others to demo. Yes, I got $4.5k IEMs for a review and I have not seen them since I finished the review nearly a year ago because they have been on an EU tour. I offered after the original tour unit got lost. I have sent gear intercontinental just so people could demo. If for whatever reason I can't send it over and someone has a question, I will give descriptions based on their music preferences and answer any other question they might have honestly to help them make the right choice for them. That's what reviewing is about. Sharing our passion for the hobby and being an active part of the community. The thought of "free gear" doesn't come into it and if anyone reads that into it, then that says a lot more about that person's mentality than anything else.
But I'll tell ya what, Getting broken earphones for $350 is bad, man. Not matter how many expensive flagships you list, it don't fix that.
A warranty repair will fix that. That's why those exist.
I'm not a rookie here I don't need a reminder to look at graphs before I buy things 🤣🤣 what I need is some integrity from audio mfgs.
Integrity begins with your own actions.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #5,265 of 5,353
I get so tired of these sort of comments, like review samples are "free gear". If anyone, especially a reviewer, considers review samples as something akin to a gift or given for free, then their heart is not in the right place. I know a lot of reviewers and I know some of them do indeed view review samples as something like a gift. Free gear they call their own and feel they can sell off to make a quick buck. Those are the same people who will bad mouth a manufacturer or product purely because they have been denied a sample.

The reviewers I am friends with are not like that. They are hard workers who review as a hobby because they love music, love audio gear and want to share their passion and their thoughts with others freely. Some even are professional musicians, others provide feedback on prototypes without ever asking credit for it, and all of them put in a lot of work to build up their expertise and create high quality content. The review samples they have are considered tools of the trade, so they can make comparisons and answer endless questions about them. Samples are never sold and often sent around for others to demo. Yes, I got $4.5k IEMs for a review and I have not seen them since I finished the review nearly a year ago because they have been on an EU tour. I offered after the original tour unit got lost. I have sent gear intercontinental just so people could demo. If for whatever reason I can't send it over and someone has a question, I will give descriptions based on their music preferences and answer any other question they might have honestly to help them make the right choice for them. That's what reviewing is about. Sharing our passion for the hobby and being an active part of the community. The thought of "free gear" doesn't come into it and if anyone reads that into it, then that says a lot more about that person's mentality than anything else.

A warranty repair will fix that. That's why those exist.

Integrity begins with your own actions.
Damn straight!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back