RoXor

New Head-Fier
BGVP NS9
Pros: Fun V-shaped sound.
Strong punchy bass.
Smooth sound signature.
Decent soundstage and imaging.
Good build quality and good accessories.
Cons: Lack of treble extension and air.
Lacks transparency and detail retrieval
20210513_185228.jpg

Disclaimer:

The unit has been sent to me from BGVP as a part of a review circle. I am not working or affiliated to BGVP and I am not being paid or influenced otherwise to say anything positive or negative about this review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Note: Please note that my opinions and ratings are based on price, category, market competition and personal expectations and are subjective in nature.

1.jpg

Build Quality and comfort

Priced at 169 USD, the NS9 looks good in its golden faceplate and CNC machined aviation grade alloy shell which is black in colour. NS9 has a driver configuration of 2DD+7BA. The diaphragm material is composite titanium plated silicon and the drivers are calibrated using a four-way electronic crossover. The retail packaging comes with a good bundle of accessories – a 3.5mm silver plated braided cable, various assortment of tips and 2 extra sets of filters which helps in tuning the sound signature.

The shells are slightly larger in size but has a snug fit for me, anything bigger even by a slightest margin wouldn’t have fit me. It might not be very comfortable for longer sessions. The cable looks decent and no microphonics either. Overall the set feels decently comfortable.

Looking at the build quality of the IEM and the cable, and the set of included tips and filters, it looks fairly good for its price. Its has various combination of colours and cable preference available in various sites.

Score: 8.5/10

2.jpg

For the review I have used the grey filters which provides a balanced tuning along with vocal eartips. This seemed to be the best combination for me.

NS9 has a fairly distinct V-shaped sound signature with relaxed highs, recessed mid and boosted punchy bass. Its quite fun to listen to and does well for most genres. It is able to handle complex genres with ease.

The bass has decent amount of texture, abundant amount and punch. The low extension is quite decent for the price and has been the highlight of the pair.

The mids takes a step back and are at times overshadowed by bass, and a minor amount of congestion and lack of clarity is noticed. Recessed mids aren’t particularly and issue for me, I tend to prefer balanced to V shaped sound than a mid forward presentation however I’m not a fan of bass being too powerful to overshadow the mids.

The treble is laid back, with decent amount of details. However highs lack extension and air. The sparkle is still there and attributes to the fun sound signature, but a bit of air and transparency in the mid and high frequency would have certainly taken the NS9 to whole new level. I am not sure though as to attain that type of tuning the sound signature might lose its relaxed nature and maybe that’s not what BGVP would have aimed for its tuning.

Score: 8/10

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Soundstage, Imaging, Separation

Soundstage of NS9 has decent width and depth, and helps keep enough space for instrument heavy tracks to not sound congested. The imaging is decent. It has decent instrument separation. A clean sound signature and has good refinement.

Score: 8/10

Source and drivability

I have Cayin’s N6ii with A01, Lotoo Paw s1 and DecaDAC (diy r2r) as sources. N6ii and S1 are fairly warm in its presentation however DecaDAC is more of a neutral source. In my experience, the sound signature of the source hardly impacts the NS9. Its strongly retains its sound signature and tonality all thoughout.
7.jpg

Conclusion:

I have previously reviewed See Audio Yume which is an excellent IEM under 200USD. Both are priced exactly same at 169USD. Comparing with the NS9, the Yume has better tonality with slightly better performance in mids and highs, and the soundstage. The detail retrieval and imaging are on same level in both. NS9 has stronger bass and has a more fun approach to the sound signature. My recommendation under 200USD will still be the Yume however someone who wants a fun bass heavy warm sound signature might try the NS9 and wont be disappointed. Accessories and design wise NS9 is still better unless you have a smaller ears and cant really fit bigger shell IEMs.

Overall Score: 8/10
20210513_185247.jpg

Attachments

6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

captione

100+ Head-Fier
Thick!
Pros: - Fun V or L shaped signature (depending on filters)
- Option to tune your sound using the nozzle filters
- Heavy bass response without compromising separation and imaging
- Safe treble response even in all of the filters
Cons: - QC Issue about unit variances
- Design flaw with the short screwable nozzle paired with small bore tips provided, potential breakpoint
- Bass can overwhelm the mids considerably
- The lack of air in the treble might be a problem for some
BGVP NS9 Review

Tl;dr : 170usd, 2dd 7ba setup with tuning nozzle options. Signature can be an L-shaped or a V-shaped depending on the filters used. Unashamedly bassy and warm. Midrange a bit veiled with leaking bass. Decent treble extension although lacking air. Good imaging and separation. There’s a QC issue about unit variants and design issue about the nozzle filters that prevents me from suggesting this.

A bit of background and disclaimer:

BGVP gave me the opportunity to try the NS9 through a review circle tour; rest assured they won’t influence my review. I hope my criticisms can be used to improve BGVP’s future releases and current ones, and guide some curious consumers.

I'm also new on reviewing so please tell me your inputs about it! I'm happy to listen and learn from you guys!

IMG_20210429_123724.jpg

IMG_20210429_113800.jpg

Packaging:

· The packaging consists of a two-part box with a slide-on cover showing its marketing and specs. The two-part box opens to a velvet-lined interior on foam with inserts for the case, the IEMS detached and a foam guide for the 3 pairs of 2 type of tips given, and an envelope containing the usual warranty and manual. The case contains the cable, the two red and silver filters in a small plastic case (the stock black filter is already in the IEMs themselves). With the amount of accessories and tips provided, I think it’s a good value for 170usd, I just wished the tips included were a bit more fitting to the IEM’s nozzle.
IMG_20210429_181743.jpg

IMG_20210429_124016.jpg

Build:

· The shape of these shells is very BIG, sporting a design similar to the Fiio FH3s. The MMCX connector is sufficiently tight and is still easy to remove. The body and the faceplate are very thick and the length of the nozzle is super short, even for Chi-fi shallow fitting IEM standards. As you can see, it sports a screw-able nozzle for tuning your preferred sound but it seems to unscrew easily when you tip roll, especially with the given small bore tips, this is a flaw that BGVP should prevent because the nozzle filters will likely be worn down with usage, so stick to a filter you want if you want to prolong its tightness.
I also saw reports of unit variants with people hearing sibilance in their pairs, so please take note if you’re going to buy one. I suspect there’s a QC problem with their BAs, filtering and sound tube.
I’d give it a plus for giving consumers a chance to tune their sound, but negates it with its potential issues.

Fit and isolation:

· They fit decently, given that your ears is as big as mine, but the shallow fitting of the stubby nozzles might be more of a problem for some. The pair isolates noise surprisingly very good, if it fits your ears well. MANDATORY tiprolling is needed because of the small bore tips provided and the shallow nozzle, so I found a great fit with foams, reversed Starline and large MH755 tips.
IMG_20210429_123833.jpg

IMG_20210429_123854.jpg

A bit of background for the source, I used my Meizu DAC (on my phone and laptop) and my music player (Samsung YP-Q2) for the testing. My library consists of MP3 and FLAC albums on 16/44khz and few 24/96khz ones. Here is my lastfm account to see what I listen to: https://www.last.fm/user/varia_ble

- Bass: This is definitely the most prominent of the whole signature. A huge extension till the sub-bass, it is unashamedly bass heavy and sloppy. The decay of the bass is slow and the kicks are full bodied. They also leak through the mids. I just wished it was a tad tighter, textured and doesn’t intrude the midrange so much, but it definitely makes for a fun listen for electronic genres and a good supplement for bass lacking tracks especially in indie rock. The filters seem to do nothing on this range.

- Mids: Warm and a bit veiled. You can definitely see where the V-shaped sound takes its form here. The timbre of some instruments is pretty good for a hybrid but the bass really intrudes with the definition and details of them. Male vocals seem to be taking the stage in front rather than female vocals, though the silver filters seems to accentuate some of the upper-mid and give the female vocal a tiny lift. There is no upper-mid sibilance detected, even more so on the red filter which basically puts an even darker veil on the midrange.

- Treble: Decently extended but lacking air, stock and even with the silver filter. Cymbals don’t have that thin, digital quality that a hybrid usually has and Sssses are handled exceptionally, but the lack of air might be a problem for some. I personally hear good extension but people might hear the opposite, BGVP definitely played it safe in this region, and I like it. The silver filter gives it a bit of a more emphasis while the red filter just overshadows the treble somehow.

- Soundstage, Imaging and Separation: The soundstaging is decent, and feels like a small room, with a focus on width and sufficient depth.
Imaging is good with defined spatial cues and movements, though the bass might smudge it a bit.

Separation is also good with a semblance of definition on various elements, even with the veil and the bassy nature of the IEMs. The BAs definitely did their work with this part.

- [EXTRA] Coherence: I honestly don’t hear any crosstalk on my unit or anything that overlaps with the ranges. BGVP seems to do a great job with its crossover circuit although I don’t really mind, if I’m gonna buy an IEM, it’s gonna be for the music, though a bit of crossover QC quality for this price range should still be expected.

Comparison:

- With Seeaudio Yume: They’re basically sold more or less in the same price (170usd, 169 in other places), and both are hybrids with only difference is the driver count. The Yume sports an accurate Harman 2019 signature and the NS9 sports an L or a V shaped signature (depending on its filters).

Bass goes to NS9, because the Yume unacceptably has a lacking bass slam, though it is tighter and well textured than the NS9.

Mids goes to the Yume, being more defined and detailed and less veiled by the boisterous bass response, although the warmth factor of the NS9 is still something I’d prefer.

Treble goes for the Yume, because it’s less veiled than the NS9 and more detailed, though both lacks air.

Thoughts:

I seriously want to give the NS9 a 4 out of 5 with its fun signature and the valuable choice to tune its sound to your liking but I have to deduct some points with their overall design and quality flaws like the reported issues about unit variance, the short nozzle and its damage-prone filters screwing which can be a problem in the long run. I wouldn’t mind giving it another half if BGVP addresses the QC issues in their production, but till then, we have to wait for their response to those people that had the problem.

With the problems aside, I honestly think this is a good IEM for most of my library and my current listens, carrying an all rounded and fun listen. I had good fun relistening to Justin Timberlake’s 20/20 Experience, and I think this is a good addition to your collection if you’re into pop, rock and electronic genres. Unfortunately I still have to hold that suggestion for now until BGVP fixes these flaws. J

Thank you for reading!
Last edited:
laleeee
I use .4.4mm adapter on the 2.5mm cable....yes it sings. Just needs some power to get it to sing.
liteon163
I just received my NS9 order from HiFiGo. Straight out of the box with the default filters and tips, I think they sound quite good. (I'm listening to them via my Modi 3 / Magni 3 Heresy Schiit stack). I'll play with filters and tips until I find the best combination for me, but considering how decent they were with the stock setup, I anticipate they'll sound even better after finding the best combination for me. And then I'll burn them in for awhile.

As for the small tips, I found turning them inside out makes their installation MUCH easier.

machinegod

New Head-Fier
Pros: Pounding bass, ideal for bass-lovers.
Easy going thick and laid back sound.
Good build quality with nicely designed crossover.
Cons: Bass bleeds.
Midrange appears veiled.
Build & Fit :
NS9 has its shells made of aviation grade aluminium alloy and the shell is CNC machined. The chassis is smooth and chunky, although that is partially due to the whopping 9 drivers per side; 7 Knowles & Sonion BA and 2 DDs. Integrating the 9 drivers is a 4-way electronic crossover.
It comes with 3 tuning filters which have a robust screw on system. The red emphasises the bass region, the stock one provides a balanced sound and the grey filter emphasizes the high frequencies.
The cable is a 5N single crystal Silver Plated Copper with MMCX interface. The cable looks and feels gorgeous and for the first time I have encountered a stock cable which is sonically very good as well. On trying with other IEMs, I have found the cable to consistently improve soundstage and imaging capabilities.
When it came to fit, I just couldn't get the IEM to seal in my right ear for some reason; left was fine. I guess the shape of the shell didn't play well with the shape of my right ear canal. Unfortunate as it might be, I am holding my weird right canal at fault in this case.

IMG20210501011922.jpg

IMG20210501012135.jpg

Amp Needs :
At 20 ohm, 107 dB/mW sensitivity, you do not need an external amplifier. Plug the NS9 in your phone and enjoy.

IMG20210501011958.jpg

Sound Quality :
The review has been conducted with a combination of the silver filter and the stock black tips which come pre-applied. I have found this combo to work best with the NS9.
What hits you in the face unashamed is the bass quantity; it's deep and pounding and it's even got rumble to it. Switching to my other IEMs and headphones made them sound almost bass-less.
There is big boost in the sub-bass and midbass region which is clearly heard. Sadly, the bass does bleed into the mids and masks it, making the midrange sound veiled. The bass isn't the
fastest or texture rich either. It isn't the tightest bass either, it's more of a "hit you in the face" impactful kind of bass. But boy does it hit hard. The rumble is heavily seal dependent, I have found varying results just by pulling of different expressions on my face (which in turn affect the seal and positioning).
This slow decaying bass leaves male vocals sounding veiled even though the timbre is more or less good. To visualize it, imagine if the vocalist is behind a translucent curtain. Upper mids and female vocals in general are toned down in presence, presumably to token the intended dark thick sound signature. Female vocals come out better and truer to life
as compared to the male vocals, although lacking the bite and glisten needed. The treble is just plain rolled off and laid back. Nothing is harsh, nothing even comes close to being bright. It has the usual boost in the mid-treble to restore balance in its overall bassy tone and I think it is done nicely, without bordering on sibilance. NS9 isn't that resolving in the top end; it's smooth and buttery.
The good news is that the instrument separation is quite decent, seems to be unaffected by the boosted bass and so is the soundstage. It's not that spacious but reaches noticeably wide although not deft when it comes to showing the depth in the stage. Image positioning is more accurate at the edges of the headstage than in between where it is a bit fuzzy.
I wish it had more image resolving capabilities which would have made it a considerably better performer.

IMG20210501012030.jpg

IMG20210501012158.jpg

Conclusion :
This screams to be used for electronic/downtempo/IDM/Techno music. So if you turn on Plastikman/Richie Hawtin instead of Diana Krall, you will not be disappointed with the NS9. While its sound signature doesn't represent speed, accuracy and control, it will be a joy to use in the previously mentioned genres or any genre similar to it.
dharmasteve
Agree on many things, although midrange on mine is not veiled at all. After looking at many reviews it seems QC is poor and there is great unit variation. My version with 4.4mm and Spiral Dot's, from my HiBy R5 is excellent, but from the HiBy R5, 3.5mm, it's bland and dull. Soundstage and spatials top notch. I would not recommend this IEM for 3.5mm use, but if used properly, at high gain and some juice, it is exceptional. It just sounds poor from phones or underpowered sources.
BGVP NS9: Love it or Hate it
Pros: - Warm tonality that majority of listeners will prefer this kind of tuning.
- Good Bass Dynamics.
- Premium built quality.
- Good set for vocals due its rich and brimming quantity on mid notes density.
- Good quantity of contents and accesories inside of the packaging box.
Cons: - Unoriginal design of shell (some FiiO and BQEYZ IEMs share some derivative aesthetics)
- Underwhelming treble quality.
- Finding a proper tuning filters will take a time and effort to figure it out.
- Changing eartips are quite complicated and needs a patience just to insert it properly.
-Changeable tuning filters has a very marginal effect to influence the improvements on some audio frequency ranges.
20210421_102001_HDR.jpg

Hello mates, Welcome to my humble IEM review here in Head-fi once again. As usual, I do some explanation about my takeaways and comprehensive analysis on such a particular IEM product provided by audio companies as always as either I received or bought it with my own dosh. I have this new set from an audio company, BGVP. I am quite familiar on this particular company as I have tested their BGVP DMG and BGVP DM6 before some few years ago. BGVP is one of the few companies in Chi-fi world that delivers some of a well-tuned and good built quality products that was quite familiar and known in the audio community scene. A representative send me this review unit for my honest impression and a feedback on their product.

20210421_101311.jpg

This is BGVP NS9, their latest offering in over a hundred dollar (US) IEM segment, It is made of CNC-milled aluminium with three-vertical lines embossed at the front metal shell which offer sturdiness and premium feel. This IEM has a hybrid set-up, Two (2) Dynamic Drivers and Seven (7) Balanced Armature Drivers. One of the most interesting part here are the BAs that they have chosen on these, Sonion and Knowles. Most of the IEM afficionados are very familiar on these BA brands, they are both use from midrangers to top-of-the-line IEMs in more popular and premium audio brands. The other interesting one is the implementation of multi-crossover circuit boards that promises better separation on three parts of audio frequency spectrum. The connector of this one is a MMCX for flexibility and manageable ergonomics.

20210421_101325_HDR.jpg
20210421_101333_HDR.jpg
20210421_101345.jpg

The packaging box has a white colour in the front and back with black tinge on its sides.The front has a simple illustration of the NS9 itself with Hi-Res audio, Knowles and Sonion logos at the bottom, And some specification and the address of the company itself at the back. The contents inside are the IEMs, a silver four(4)-core single crystal SPC cable, 6 pairs of extra ear tips for vocals and bass for a usual three (3) different ear sizes, a pair of memory foam ear tips, an IEM hard leather case, 2 pairs of tuning filters inside of a small opaque case (This one has a changeable screen tuning filters on their nozzle to improve some audio frequency based on your tuning preference.) and some paperworks like warranty card and a simple instruction manual in different languages.

20210421_101855_HDR.jpg
20210421_101641_HDR.jpg
20210421_101612_HDR.jpg

The wearable rating of this IEM is very comfortable into my average-size ears as it fit snugly into my ear canal without any ear fatigue and irritability, surprisingly that these IEMs are a little bit weighty. It has a good isolation that partially block from external noise.

20210421_101919.jpg
20210421_102038.jpg

The tonality of BGVP NS9 is warm with smooth transition on treble. Let's dive even more and to divulge its sound quality.

20210421_101903.jpg

LOWS/BASS

The bass quality is punchy, impactful and vigorous. It has decent reach on sub-bass I hear the rumble distinctly that most bassheads' wants on their LFs. The mid-bass has an average weigh tone as its provide a good amount on slam and very minimal or absence of bass bleeds on other frequency spectrum. The transiency of bass decay is quite a worthy to praise for its average speed. Double bass kicks still manage to tend to avoid some unnecessary smudges on other instruments. Bass guitars still sound with even burp and has that growl characteristics on it as I feel that natural portrayal of plucking on it. This is the low frequency caliber on what basshead are looking as I can recommend this set to them with a brazen grin on my face.

MIDS

The mids of this one has forward and good texture density that will provide a full-bodied and sustaining mellowness along its frequency range. Both male and females vocals are both balanced and well-densed to provide better resolution and detail fullness as it will blend it well on melody harmoniously. The male vocals are engaging and with harmonic intensity while the female vocals are emotive and well-defined on its articulation, fluency and pacing within on their respective octave ranges. The percussions, rhythm and wind instruments sounds sonorously and natural as I can distinctly tell the tonality and timbre between the rhythm, lead and acoustic guitar as it has the crunch, vibrancy and crisp of a lead and acoustic guitars while rhythm guitar has these warm and amicable feel, the piano has these fullness and mellow. Snares strikes are penetrating yet retains its precision and clarity.

HIGHS/TREBLE

This is the part of the audio frequency which I find as an underwhelming and bland in my hearing perception. The treble is smoothen out on this one as I sense an undulating, less resolving on micro-detail and resolution even if I keep changing its tuning filters and eartips just to satisfy my part of being a treblehead but alas, no to avail. This set has an average or less treble extension with less airy due to some subdued peaks on the brilliance treble region. The cymbals strikes sounds tight and easily lose its sizzle and extension. Chimes and xylos are also lack of that glistening and luster characteristics. There are even tracks that I encounter that sounds like a gushing waterfalls especially on fast cymbals strikes that sounds hissy and quite soughing (Try Metallica's Jump In the Fire).The good aspect of this one that sibilance is absent on this one and treble sensitives will definitely enjoying its safe treble tuning.

SOUNDSTAGE AND IMAGING

The soundstage size of NS9 has an above average width with emphasis in depth. The vocals positioning are quite intimate on this one. The separation of instruments has sensing of space and imaging and layering has a good positional accuracy as I do a sweeping spatial panning in some tracks I can locate placements of instruments and vocals on each row.

As I conclude my review on this unit, this is good set for people who wants a comfortable listening experience yet delivers a decent audio quality. Trebleheaded ones will probably shun on this as they will find as dark and too mellow but a certain set of listerners like Bassheads and Midcentrics will definitely love its capability on delivering on their preferred tuning and natural tonality on it.

20210421_101903.jpg

TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION:0.5%
DRIVER CONFIGURATON: 2 DDs and 7 BAs
CHANNEL DIFFERENCE: ≤1dB(20-10kHz)

P.S.

I am not affliated to BGVP nor receive monetary incentives and financial gains as they provide me a review unit for an exchange of factual and sincere feedback from yours truly.

Attachments

20210421_102155.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
    20210421_102222_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Zerstorer_GOhren
Zerstorer_GOhren
I didn't test yet the DM8 but I read some good response and feedback from the users.
Reactions: Fawzay
liteon163
After trying the Shanling AE3 dual BA IEM, I ordered these. I figured more drivers and an actual crossover circuit should help the sound better. And the custom filters and tips should help, too. Hopefully I'll get them soon. When I do, I'll be back with an update.
liteon163
Intermediate Update: I received these today. Listening straight out of the box with the default filter and tips, they sound quite good to me (via Modi 3 / Magni 3 Heresy Schiit stack). Very smooth with no range overpowering any other. I'll experiment with different filter and tip combinations until I find my preferred setup, then I'll burn them in for awhile.

More later.