BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Mar 28, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #3,211 of 5,353
That was me wondering. Are you saying the LG sounds better? Seems like it. In that case, I'll save my money and buy a new set of IEMs. lol

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #3,212 of 5,353
Yeah, the ES100 whips ass. Great little piece of hardware with a lovely app to boot.

To the user wondering how it sounds compared to the the LG quad-DAC stuff: strictly better. it uses the same DAC/amp, but it has two of them.

Actually not the same DAC/Amp, ES100 use dual AKM AK4375a and LG Dac is ESS Sabre 9218. Only Hiby W5 has the same DAC as the LG. :D AKM tend to smoothen the sound, Sabre is rather bright and dry. I've tried the ES100 on my Local store, with LDAC connection from my LG V20. Sound quality is almost as good as wired imo.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #3,214 of 5,353
Actually not the same DAC/Amp, ES100 use dual AKM AK4375a and LG Dac is ESS Sabre 9218. Only Hiby W5 has the same DAC as the LG. :D AKM tend to smoothen the sound, Sabre is rather bright and dry. I've tried the ES100 on my Local store, with LDAC connection from my LG V20. Sound quality is almost as good as wired imo.
crap, my bad--for some reason I thought that the ES100 used Sabres. Thanks for the correction!

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #3,215 of 5,353
Yeah, the ES100 whips ass. Great little piece of hardware with a lovely app to boot.

To the user wondering how it sounds compared to the the LG quad-DAC stuff: strictly better. it uses the same DAC/amp, but it has two of them.
I think the LG uses a Sabre DAC chip, while the es100 uses dual AK chips. I could be wrong.

Btw, how much better is the S8F better than the DM6? Would love to know.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #3,216 of 5,353
I think the LG uses a Sabre DAC chip, while the es100 uses dual AK chips. I could be wrong.

Btw, how much better is the S8F better than the DM6? Would love to know.
Noticeably better in pretty much every way. Here are some impressions I posted elsewhere:

Photos

Some more photos, including macro shots, here. Fearless liked some of them enough that they asked if they could share them on Facebook, which was cool!

Impressions

I don't have a ton of experience; I moved up the entire Shure line until the 530s (about 1 per year until the 530 came out), at which point I was like, "welp, doesn't get better than this." Got back into it a couple months ago (*i.e.* about 10 years later) with the DM6s, which—especially for $200—kicked the pants off the 530s. However, while I didn't really get the sibilance that some reported with the DM6, they did get a bit fatiguing after a while and I always felt like the mids were a little too back—I wasn't sure whether this was "objectively true" or just because the whole Shure line is so mids-centric, but I think that these answer the question for me: they were a bit back.

These are an improvement on the DM6 in every way; and I already liked the DM6 a lot. They're *absurdly* resolving, which I love, and I'm guessing that this comes not only from the 8-driver setup, but from the fact that that comes in 4 pairs, so each driver can work in a more comfortable output range. That and the 3 frequency-separated sound tubes might have something to do with it; I can't be sure. They're just very precise, in terms both of the aforementioned microdetails (*e.g.* really hearing someone's *throat* when they sing, or hearing fingers moving on a guitar string between note pulls) and imaging, but are engaging and involving and fun regardless.

Initial thoughts that I posted on head-fi about these vs. the DM6, which I stand by and have echoed above:

* The midrange is definitely more liquid and forward than it was on the DM6 for me. I never tried the 846, but if the tuning is anything like the 530/535, that will probably still have a more pronounced midrange (being originally meant as vocal monitors and all).
* The midrange is also more detailed than the DM6, but it's more detailed everywhere.
* The treble is less fatiguing for me, personally. Still plenty of texture and air and energy.
* The bass seems to go a little lower and be more detailed—it's a little less "thumpy" than the DM6, though. Still enough to make you feel like you're feeling your heartbeat inside your brain, however.
* Overall, even more lively. Just very very involving and detailed.
* Build quality on the DM6 seemed great; these seem even better (clearer body, internal construction, sound tubes and bores) and are really lovely to look at.
* Physically, they're kinda big. They actually fit me better because of the longer, thicker stems, but they don't sit "flush" in my ear like the DM6 did:

DM6 in ear:

10261789.png

S8F in ear:

10261785.png

I really, really like them. Like I said, I don't have so much experience, but a few people who have the Andromeda think that the S8F's little brother (the S6Rui) is a better IEM than the Andromeda. From people who have heard other things in the more absurd price range, *some* (and again, I can't personally know!) are saying that the only things they've heard that are better than these are the Legend X. I could see it: I don't know how much you could do to make these better.

[end quote there]

Are they 2.5x as good to match the increase in price? God no. But I noticed the difference immediately, and to me, it's worth it.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #3,217 of 5,353
Maybe this can help some people with the same paranoia I was going through..I was really worried about debris getting into the DM6's since the nozzle has no screen so I found an old fabric speaker cover that I was no longer using and I decided to cut some small pieces and place them over the nozzle and place the tips over them to hold them in place... To my surprise it worked really well and I hear no audible differences in sound and I can sleep a little more comfortable knowing that the inside of the DM6'S are going to stay clean...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #3,218 of 5,353
Noticeably better in pretty much every way. Here are some impressions I posted elsewhere:

Photos

Some more photos, including macro shots, here. Fearless liked some of them enough that they asked if they could share them on Facebook, which was cool!

Impressions

I don't have a ton of experience; I moved up the entire Shure line until the 530s (about 1 per year until the 530 came out), at which point I was like, "welp, doesn't get better than this." Got back into it a couple months ago (*i.e.* about 10 years later) with the DM6s, which—especially for $200—kicked the pants off the 530s. However, while I didn't really get the sibilance that some reported with the DM6, they did get a bit fatiguing after a while and I always felt like the mids were a little too back—I wasn't sure whether this was "objectively true" or just because the whole Shure line is so mids-centric, but I think that these answer the question for me: they were a bit back.

These are an improvement on the DM6 in every way; and I already liked the DM6 a lot. They're *absurdly* resolving, which I love, and I'm guessing that this comes not only from the 8-driver setup, but from the fact that that comes in 4 pairs, so each driver can work in a more comfortable output range. That and the 3 frequency-separated sound tubes might have something to do with it; I can't be sure. They're just very precise, in terms both of the aforementioned microdetails (*e.g.* really hearing someone's *throat* when they sing, or hearing fingers moving on a guitar string between note pulls) and imaging, but are engaging and involving and fun regardless.

Initial thoughts that I posted on head-fi about these vs. the DM6, which I stand by and have echoed above:

* The midrange is definitely more liquid and forward than it was on the DM6 for me. I never tried the 846, but if the tuning is anything like the 530/535, that will probably still have a more pronounced midrange (being originally meant as vocal monitors and all).
* The midrange is also more detailed than the DM6, but it's more detailed everywhere.
* The treble is less fatiguing for me, personally. Still plenty of texture and air and energy.
* The bass seems to go a little lower and be more detailed—it's a little less "thumpy" than the DM6, though. Still enough to make you feel like you're feeling your heartbeat inside your brain, however.
* Overall, even more lively. Just very very involving and detailed.
* Build quality on the DM6 seemed great; these seem even better (clearer body, internal construction, sound tubes and bores) and are really lovely to look at.
* Physically, they're kinda big. They actually fit me better because of the longer, thicker stems, but they don't sit "flush" in my ear like the DM6 did:

DM6 in ear:

10261789.png

S8F in ear:

10261785.png

I really, really like them. Like I said, I don't have so much experience, but a few people who have the Andromeda think that the S8F's little brother (the S6Rui) is a better IEM than the Andromeda. From people who have heard other things in the more absurd price range, *some* (and again, I can't personally know!) are saying that the only things they've heard that are better than these are the Legend X. I could see it: I don't know how much you could do to make these better.

[end quote there]

Are they 2.5x as good to match the increase in price? God no. But I noticed the difference immediately, and to me, it's worth it.
Maybe when I'm not a broke student, I'll venture into freedoms, but right now....the dm6s scratch all my itches, itches that couldn't be scratched by the Campfire Audio Comets... adele live at royal Albert hall is a gorgeous album to listen to ( feels like you're sitting in the audience)

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #3,219 of 5,353
Maybe this can help some people with the same paranoia I was going through..I was really worried about debris getting into the DM6's since the nozzle has no screen so I found an old fabric speaker cover that I was no longer using and I decided to cut some small pieces and place them over the nozzle and place the tips over them to hold them in place... To my surprise it worked really well and I hear no audible differences in sound and I can sleep a little more comfortable knowing that the inside of the DM6'S are going to stay clean...
Yeah I use the little cleaning tool religiously to get any pieces of wax out. I just wished there was a better way to clean them.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #3,220 of 5,353
Maybe when I'm not a broke student, I'll venture into freedoms, but right now....the dm6s scratch all my itches, itches that couldn't be scratched by the Campfire Audio Comets... adele live at royal Albert hall is a gorgeous album to listen to ( feels like you're sitting in the audience)
I'm going to have to listen to that album...I love listening to albums recorded in that Hall... I've listened to John Legend recorded in the same place and I loved it.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #3,221 of 5,353
I'm going to have to listen to that album...I love listening to albums recorded in that Hall... I've listened to John Legend recorded in the same place and I loved it.
Let me know how you like it. I friggin loved it, Adele is something special when it comes to singing live. I bought the album in flac. 0 buyers remorse.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #3,222 of 5,353
Let me know how you like it. I friggin loved it, Adele is something special when it comes to singing live. I bought the album in flac. 0 buyers remorse.
I Just heard two songs and it's an absolutely amazing performance... She must be a sound engineers dream to work with because Her voice is perfect... I'm going to buy for sure!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #3,223 of 5,353
To the ES100 users, just wanted to ask if will i still benefit on them even if ill be pairing it an iphone? Looking a BT receiver that has balance if possible coz i wanna try it with the DM6.. will i hear a good difference using balance even on ACC codec vs 3.5?

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #3,224 of 5,353
To the ES100 users, just wanted to ask if will i still benefit on them even if ill be pairing it an iphone? Looking a BT receiver that has balance if possible coz i wanna try it with the DM6.. will i hear a good difference using balance even on ACC codec vs 3.5?
Will you benefit over iP 3.5mm? - I think so. Iphones dont use great DACs, at least from what I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back