BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #1,516 of 5,353
To remove cables use the finger nail technique. Wedge your fingernails between the mmcx connections, from both sides, they pop open very easily. No need to pull them out.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,518 of 5,353
Here’s a pair of 8-core copper cables from Monoprice for $30. They’re decent quality and are actually more pinkish in color than the photo shows. I tried to compare the difference between the original SPC cables and these and there appears to be a slight dip in its treble peak. Could be placebo...either way, they sound great.

C7nrjOX.jpg

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #1,519 of 5,353
It's really odd to see people discuss cables that extensively on a budget product.
I am used to see that on high end products threads when the owners have TOTL everthing and start staring at their cables :D

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #1,520 of 5,353
Here’s a pair of 8-core copper cables from Monoprice for $30. They’re decent quality and are actually more pinkish in color than the photo shows. I tried to compare the difference between the original SPC cables and these and there appears to be a slight dip in its treble peak. Could be placebo...either way, they sound great.

C7nrjOX.jpg

Too shiny, maybe, silver-plated

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #1,521 of 5,353
It's really odd to see people discuss cables that extensively on a budget product.
I am used to see that on high end products threads when the owners have TOTL everthing and start staring at their cables :D

well, the DM6 is very really good already, so nothing else to talk about except 'modding' it :D :D :D

it might be a placebo, but I'm liking my mixed copper/silver cable very much

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,523 of 5,353
@jon parker how would you compare your Toneking (T4 or T88?) to DM6? thanks

I dont have the DM6 yet. Bought the T4 through being sick of A&V con artist :)
Essentially though the T4 is one of The most detailed and clean sounding earphones Ive ever heard. If you are a treble head...look no further !

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #1,524 of 5,353
Well, I never really did a good A vs B comparison. I had the stock cable for a day, didn't like the stiffness so I switched to that cable right away. What I can say is that the DM6 sounds really good with it. But I am in the middle of finding the perfect source for my music, too many variables are changing these past weeks So I can't comment much further. Once all my new iems are fully burned in (as well as my R6) then I will have some critical listening sessions. I have another copper cable, balanced 6 core that I will try next week but I won't break my mmcx by going back and forth....

It would be absolutely amazing if you could compare pure copper balanced and non-balanced, cause i see quite a few people swearing by pure copper balanced. But i'm wondering if what they enjoy is the difference in cable material instead of balanced vs non-balanced.

Jan 13, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,525 of 5,353
It would be absolutely amazing if you could compare pure copper balanced and non-balanced, cause i see quite a few people swearing by pure copper balanced. But i'm wondering if what they enjoy is the difference in cable material instead of balanced vs non-balanced.
I've done AB testing with SPC and Copper balanced.
Copper wins every time.
Single Ended copper also beats balanced SPC.
That is what I am hearing.
Edit: this is on the ZX300

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,526 of 5,353
hey guys i want to sell my fiio fh5 as good as new with all the accessories and I'll give you an upgrade balanced 50$ cable on top of iti for 150 bucks, it is as good as new but i got the legend x for my birthday and now i don't need my fh5 anymore, just send me an message, thank you

btw the dm6 are awesome and i would recommend them to you

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #1,528 of 5,353
I'm not sure we can do it with an oscilloscope, because it has to be insanely accurate, but then again, it would be hard to make a proper comparison, because... I don't even know how we would do it. Maybe if it was some very fancy oscilloscope, with a computer interface? My device idea was to pretty much be an ADC (analog-to-digital converter), with well made low-noise circuitry, with an usb interface to use with a computer, or be like a PCIE device, like a sound card, that has a line in, but instead of a jack, it has the MMCX/2pin. It would basically work the same way as an on-board soundcard, if you would measure it using a reverse-loop. Still, this device needs to be very sensitive and clear. I don' know... It's just a goofy little idea. :darthsmile: Anyway...
i do own a decent osciloscope (owon vds1022I), isolated, USB interface, 25MHz, and a decent ADC (emu-0404 usb). and can connect the 2 pins or mmcx to the oscilloscope or to the adc by diy decent adapters which add less than 15mOhms resistance. so shall try it in the future, but i don't expect to find any noticeable difference (my disposition about everything: "skepticism, but open mind").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back