Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Mar 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #2,611 of 3,971
In my opinion the Grado's have always been the best for Rock/Metal. The T1s are fantastic but I would say are more engaging for music such as Jazz, Blues, Classical etc. Stuff with good instrument separation. As they are wonderfully detailed and have great presentation. For metal and rock where you want more balls to the wall, I find the PS1000 to be the best choice. Forget the HD800 for metal in my opinion. Great phone no doubt but not at all right for Metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the T1s for Metal? I'm considering a flagship headphone and am tossing up between the T1, the HD800 and the PS1000, all recabled.

What I'm looking for essentially is all of the strengths of my 650s and none of the weaknesses.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #2,612 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by drubrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion the Grado's have always been the best for Rock/Metal. The T1s are fantastic but I would say are more engaging for music such as Jazz, Blues, Classical etc. Stuff with good instrument separation. As they are wonderfully detailed and have great presentation. For metal and rock where you want more balls to the wall, I find the PS1000 to be the best choice. Forget the HD800 for metal in my opinion. Great phone no doubt but not at all right for Metal.

I would honestly recommend the RS1/RSi over the PS1000 for rock/metal. I found the PS1000/GS1000 more for acoustic/jazz. But that's my preference with upfront, in your face metal/rock.

I preferred the T1s to the PS1000/GS1000 for metal and rock. But again, my 2 cents...

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2,613 of 3,971
Those T50P's almost look like Beyer's answer to the Audio Technica ES series, looking portable and in the similar price range. Not the prettiest looking but they look durable as hell! Looks almost DT48 inspired. Maybe finally a portable to give HD25 a run for its money durability wise?

Looking forward to its comparisons when its out against the ESW10JPN (the top dog sound wise in the portable can realm at the moment, IMO).
wink.gif
Will be keeping a very close eye on it. My only concern; the isolation. Can't tell if this is open or closed yet.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #2,614 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the Symphony will drive the T1 very well. My Travagans Red is not in the same league as Symphony and it does a great job. This morning I just bought a used Opera, the predecessor to the Symphony, to replace the Red for the T1. I will give feedback in a few days.

thanks XLR1, looking forward for your impressions then

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #2,615 of 3,971
I will definitely try a pair of the T50p when they become available - looks like it's a couple months out...

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #2,616 of 3,971
Any thoughts on your L3000 yet? Every time I listened to them, I always wished for more top-end -- strength, clarity, and air. The mid's also, just had a slight funny quality to it. Finally, I had to search for something better.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #2,617 of 3,971
I think i might get them as well. Have been wondering this days if I should go with the Denon AH-D2000 due to their comfort and SQ, which is to my tastes, and these ones with new drivers and similar price come to the market as well, so I think i will wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will definitely try a pair of the T50p when they become available - looks like it's a couple months out...

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #2,618 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any thoughts on your L3000 yet? Every time I listened to them, I always wished for more top-end -- strength, clarity, and air. The mid's also, just had a slight funny quality to it. Finally, I had to search for something better.

I think you basically nailed it. Treble is too soft and rolled off, and the mids are slightly too far forward. And they are NOT the bass monster everyone seems to think they are.

Most overrated headphone in history. T1, Ed 8, D7000, DX1000 are ALL better than the L3000.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2,619 of 3,971
Sorry to be completely out of topic but I was always curious about this l3000 as well. It seems that their bass monster reputation came when there wasn't much high end headphones with lots of bass like the d7000 or ed9. How does the bass quantity and impact of the l3000 compare to your d7000 ?

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2,620 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to be completely out of topic but I was always curious about this l3000 as well. It seems that their bass monster reputation came when there wasn't much high end headphones with lots of bass like the d7000 or ed9. How does the bass quantity and impact of the l3000 compare to your d7000 ?

Right - I think you hit the nail on the head, too. The L3000 have more bass than something like the W5000, but their bass is somewhat uneven. It doesn't color things too much, which is nice, but there is less weight AND depth than the D7000, Ed8, or DX1000, and less depth than the T1 (or the HD800, for that matter).

I'm keeping them for now purely as a collector's item. I listened to them for a week straight after getting them, but haven't touched them since - too many other good headphones here to bother.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #2,621 of 3,971
Thanks for the description. I think my wallet is safe from the l3000 for the moment
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #2,622 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed; I have found the T1 to sound good with pretty much ALL of the amps I own; certainly this has not been the case with other high-end headphones.

I'm assuming "pretty much" excludes the P-51 Mustang and iQube?

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #2,623 of 3,971
I too have to say that I wasn't too impressed of my T1s right out of the box, but after 20+ hours of burning in they have been getting very good.

The first time my jaw just dropped was at around after 10 hour's of burning in when I put Beck's Guess I'm Doing Fine from Sea Change on. At 0:13 and 0:16 where the bass hits those two really deep notes just blew my mind... and still does! Here I found where my SA-5000 or Shure SE-530 couldn't get where T1's can go.

I was hoping that these cans would be good all-arounders and luckily they are. Heavier albums (like Metallica's Black album) sound excellent as does rap (like Raekwon's Only built 4 Cuban Linx pt2) and classical (Kubelik's version of Smetana's Vltava is amazing) that I'm more and more into.

I wonder if any other one headphone can perform every diverse genre as well as T1s?

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #2,624 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihcog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder if any other one headphone can perform every diverse genre as well as T1s?

If there is, I haven't found it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back