Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,081 of 4,487
I really want a Crack but I don't have the time to do it. A 2y/o and a pregnant wife means I'm constantly busy. :) When I get time tho... I would definitely customize it where the power and input are rear mounted instead of top and same with the output and vol control. Just need to find some time.... maybe in 5 years. :wink:

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,083 of 4,487
I too tried the DT880 pads. The treble became smeared and everything from the midbass down went away. Not good at all.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,084 of 4,487
I'm listening to the T90 right now and it's interesting to say the least. I don't think it's for me though.

Strangely it sounds the best on my Schiit Modi and kind of musical. Kind of. On my more revealing Micro DAC (CS4398 DAC) it's much thinner, harsher and sibilant.
I think the Modi is just less revealing, less trebly and smoother with bad recordings perhaps. This is my only idea.

Here's what's funny..on my Q701, K400, HD-598 and  HD-650 the two DACs basically sound close to being identical in tone/sound signature. The Micro DAC actually seems to give me a little fuller mids than the Modi with the Q701, but on the T90 it's opposite!

I guess if you want to HEAR your equipment, use the T90
confused_face_2.gif

First time I actually hear this mysterious warmth coming from the Modi. Could have sworn it had none (yet wasn't thin/cold).

Surprised the Modi sounds so good with the T90.

BTW I checked graphs and the low bass in the inner fidelity graph matches up more with what i'm hearing. I don't like the bass on the T90. It almost sounds distant
confused_face_2.gif

My modded Q701 has more low bass and warmth, but no big deal. T90 seems more revealing. Not really hearing much difference in detail.
I do like the soundstage on the T90, but sometimes things seem too distant. It's really spacious/airy sounding and kind of addicting with the right music.

T90 doesn't seem very full sounding in the mids at all. Not terribly thin. I bet it would sound good with warmer sounding gear. I do like it kind of.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,086 of 4,487
Best album i've heard so far with it is Boards of Canada "Campfire Headphase". Tons of details to be heard on that album.
Seems like it was made for the T90. Most Ambient electronica sounds good on it.

What reminds me a little of the T90 is the KRK KNS-8400. It'd be fun to compare the two.

I'd say I like the T90 maybe more than the DT-880 and 990.

It does have a little more treble than I like. I also tend to like headphones that are a little warmer sounding, modded Q701 has the perfect amount.

The more you listen to the T90 the more you do like it. Sometimes it annoys me.

I'm glad to say it's more comfortable than the DT-880 since it had deeper cups/pads.

T90 doesn't really WOW me with anything, but that's not always so bad.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,087 of 4,487
  Best album i've heard so far with it is Boards of Canada "Campfire Headphase". Tons of details to be heard on that album.
Seems like it was made for the T90. Most Ambient electronica sounds good on it.

What reminds me a little of the T90 is the KRK KNS-8400. It'd be fun to compare the two.

I'd say I like the T90 maybe more than the DT-880 and 990.

It does have a little more treble than I like. I also tend to like headphones that are a little warmer sounding, modded Q701 has the perfect amount.

The more you listen to the T90 the more you do like it. Sometimes it annoys me.

I'm glad to say it's more comfortable than the DT-880 since it had deeper cups/pads.

T90 doesn't really WOW me with anything, but that's not always so bad.

if YOU of all people liked the T90 ,more than the Dt 880 and 990, then that's another sign to me that it's gonna be right up my alley :D 

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,088 of 4,487
I setup my JRIVER with a random 100 song list out of the thousands of tunes I have ripped....and its very, very revealing when the recording is great and when its not...

I have stopped looking or trying to tune my amp and dac to make material sound "good" to me....

I have accepeted the O2 amp as being as transparent as it needs to be as well as the ODAC..

So I believe I am hearing what the T90s sound like or what they can reproduce to my ears..

So its money spent on material and music....when the material is done right, something i like and am in the mood its magical.

The T90s are indeed a "Classic".

Alex

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,089 of 4,487
  if YOU of all people liked the T90 ,more than the Dt 880 and 990, then that's another sign to me that it's gonna be right up my alley :D 

Take that with a grain of salt though because I haven't heard the DT-880 in two years or so. I did have the DT-770 600 and DT-990 PRO last year though.

Based on memory the DT-880 had thinner and slightly recessed mids.

T90 is kind of hard to enjoy at times. Maybe if my collection was filled with PERFECT recordings and 100% lossless files it would be different.

I'm going to go try this with gaming.

Overall for sound i'd give it a 7.75/10 perhaps. Please note that it doesn't really fit my sound preferences. That's all. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings
normal_smile .gif
I DO like it. That score isn't negative.

Best thing about it is the soundstage and how clear it is. Soundstage is airy/spacious sounding and more so than the Q701 maybe. Actually it's not that much clearer than my Q701. About the same as the KRK KNS-8400.

Oh and I do believe there is such a thing as TOO revealing for me
biggrin.gif
Why do you think I didn't keep my DT-880? Q701 is a little more forgiving and a little more musical for me.

For reference i'd give the DT-880 a 7, the K702 a 7.75 and the Q701 a 9. Putting headphones into a 1-10 scale is stupid really. HD-650 would be an 8.5

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,090 of 4,487
Tdock!!

Why waste these wonderful T90's with anything less than stellar recordings??

Even lossless files of crappy recorded material will sound crappy...its not the lossless part in total....

OMG: Ben Harper's 'Take My Hand".....WOW, WOW what drums and sound....from "There Will Be A Light CD"

I agree there is a lot of older stuff and newer stuff that is not that well done even though I like the material....

I just spend more time listening to really good stuff...

When I do listen to the other stuff, well thats whay I call the "radio"...

LOL

Alex

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,091 of 4,487

Take that with a grain of salt though because I haven't heard the DT-880 in two years or so. I did have the DT-770 600 and DT-990 PRO last year though.

Based on memory the DT-880 had thinner and slightly recessed mids.

T90 is kind of hard to enjoy at times. Maybe if my collection was filled with PERFECT recordings and 100% lossless files it would be different.

I'm going to go try this with gaming.

Overall for sound i'd give it a 7.75/10 perhaps. Please note that it doesn't really fit my sound preferences. That's all. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings
normal_smile%20.gif
I DO like it. That score isn't negative.

Best thing about it is the soundstage and how clear it is. Soundstage is airy/spacious sounding and more so than the Q701 maybe. Actually it's not that much clearer than my Q701. About the same as the KRK KNS-8400.

Oh and I do believe there is such a thing as TOO revealing for me
biggrin.gif
Why do you think I didn't keep my DT-880? Q701 is a little more forgiving and a little more musical for me.

For reference i'd give the DT-880 a 7, the K702 a 7.75 and the Q701 a 9. Putting headphones into a 1-10 scale is stupid really. HD-650 would be an 8.5

Tdock!!

Even lossless files of crappy recorded material will sound crappy...its not the lossless part in total....

OMG: Ben Harper's 'Take My Hand".....WOW, WOW what drums and sound....from "There Will Be A Light CD"

I agree there is a lot of older stuff and newer stuff that is not that well done even though I like the material....

LOL

Alex

I'm all Flac by this point, my fully balanced DT 880 kills bad recordings, as does my w1000x and HE 400 [Balanced] so I hear you on the crappy music 

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,092 of 4,487
  Tdock!!

LOL

Alex

I have some lossless files from Jpop CDs from the 90s that sound like 128kbps recordings. They're pretty awful.
Unfortunately very very good recordings seem to be rare. I can't really afford to pay $25 per album, but with some it may be worth it.

I don't know if you listen to Jpop, but the T90 is not really a good match for that sort of stuff to me. Luckily most of it that I can actually stand isn't too bad on the ears.

I actually found a 96kbps mp3 file in my collection last week. Not sure how that got there! I converted most of my collection to lossless when I had my old DT-880.
I also have it in 320kbps for portable use.

I really don't want to feel like i'm analyzing my music collection and that's what I had to deal with on the DT-880.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,093 of 4,487

I have some lossless files from Jpop CDs from the 90s that sound like 128kbps recordings. They're pretty awful.
Unfortunately very very good recordings seem to be rare. I can't really afford to pay $25 per album, but with some it may be worth it.

I don't know if you listen to Jpop, but the T90 is not really a good match for that sort of stuff to me. Luckily most of it that I can actually stand isn't too bad on the ears.

I actually found a 96kbps mp3 file in my collection last week. Not sure how that got there! I converted most of my collection to lossless when I had my old DT-880.
I also have it in 320kbps for portable use.

I really don't want to feel like i'm analyzing my music collection and that's what I had to deal with on the DT-880.

xD I feel you there. I just wiped a ton of "not 320kbs" off my hard drive the other day... it felt LIBERATING xD 

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,094 of 4,487
Interesting...

I have ALL my cds ripped to FLAC.

Lots of them are CRAP, lots of them are GREAT.

Got many cds after recommnedations from others over at audiocircle.com under the SALK Circle....."outstanding cd's"...

But even with the crappy stuff I have found with the T90s and the DT1350s I am amazed at how good stuff is and how I can hear how things were mic'd and mastered.

Some of the earlier Chicago stuff is painfully bright, but on certain cuts I found myselg this am saying WOW thats how that bass sounds and was recorded....

Enjoy
Alex

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,095 of 4,487
I have T90's coming tomorrow which will be my first pair of Beyer's.   I had been away from this site for months but started researching a new amp and other upgrades just sort of happened.  I just upgraded from a AudioEngine D1 & Matrix M-Stage to Bifrost/Asgard2 combo - so hoping the T90's work well with these.  Not looking for any sound in particular, just something different from what I already have: HD-580, D2000, HE-400, and K702 Anniv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back