Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Oct 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,052 of 4,487
  This is quite interesting :) I've heard people compare the T90 to the T1's before, but not really the HD800's. Are they really that close? I've yet to see Jude or Tyll review these cans.

They are more complimentary than close. If they were close, I'd keep only one. The HD800 have much bigger soundstage and detailed resolution. The T90 have more exciting bass presentation. I tend to think of the T90 as my jazz club cans, while the HD800 are my concert hall cans.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,053 of 4,487
  They are more complimentary than close. If they were close, I'd keep only one. The HD800 have much bigger soundstage and detailed resolution. The T90 have more exciting bass presentation. I tend to think of the T90 as my jazz club cans, while the HD800 are my concert hall cans.

Oh I see. Thanks for sharing, atomicbob :D Based on what you've said I really want to hear what the HD800's sound like. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,054 of 4,487
  Oh I see. Thanks for sharing, atomicbob :D Based on what you've said I really want to hear what the HD800's sound like. 

And I would love to hear how the T90 sounds like. Specially compared to T5p. I know Zombie_X had some impressions and preferred the T5p. I have a feeling I would like the T90 better. Such a shame they are almost impossible to find anywhere in this country. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,055 of 4,487
Spending some OT in the office, everyone else has left and I'm just kicking back at my desk listening to my music. I love these things. Baby T1 be damned. I can't justify spending double the cash to gain a minuscule improvement. I'm at end game and don't feel the need to look for anything else. I am immensely happy with these as is. Might look for an upgrade in amp tho... that Crack sounds like a winner. :D

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #1,058 of 4,487
Thanks! I've been working harder at my case work the last few years. Usually, I'm so geeked to to get the circuit together that the case is an after thought :)

I tell you though, my Crack with upgraded output caps, attenuator, input wiring and RCA connectors fed by my custom PCM/DSD DAC fed by Salas Shunts with T90.... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,059 of 4,487
@Misterrogers: your Crack woodwork is beautiful. Have you installed the Speedball yet? Have the stock unit with a Bendex 6080wb. T90 and HD800 benefit from the OTL tube magic. Not sure when I'll install the Speedball, which I already have. Stock unit sound magical as it is.

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,060 of 4,487
Yep, she's running Speedball. I ran without for a couple of days - very nice! Speedball only ups the game. Faster, blacker, more dynamic. Running a Tung-sol and a clear top right now. Seriously, for a mid-fi rig, not sure how to improve upon it.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #1,061 of 4,487

And I would love to hear how the T90 sounds like. Specially compared to T5p. I know Zombie_X had some impressions and preferred the T5p. I have a feeling I would like the T90 better. Such a shame they are almost impossible to find anywhere in this country. 

You could have ordered them from sweden @ 3500 kr just a few weeks ago, but now not even one store seem to have them in stock here either. Don't think they sold that well.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #1,062 of 4,487
  Yep, she's running Speedball. I ran without for a couple of days - very nice! Speedball only ups the game. Faster, blacker, more dynamic. Running a Tung-sol and a clear top right now. Seriously, for a mid-fi rig, not sure how to improve upon it.

Whoooo! Clear Top Tung Sol man that sounds WONDERFUL 

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,063 of 4,487

Excellent! I am still running the stock 12AU7 but have acquired clear tops and a GEC A1834 which I will roll in sometime soon. I consider the Crack to be more of the entry to the high end. It really is that good.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,064 of 4,487
So... if you all don't mind talking about amp options some more, I'd like to bring that discussion back, haha 
smily_headphones1.gif

From the last 10 pages, I've gathered that the Crack is incredibly popular with the T90s, and the WA7 is well regarded too. Anything else you guys have tried with good results?
I've been running on my CKKIII and Opus that I put together a few years ago and I want to see if I can draw out more from the Beyers. 

My shortlist now is WA6, WA7, Burson Soloist. Maybe a WA6SE if I can find a good used deal, and there are a couple more which I am kind of looking at. 
I'm not strongly considering the Crack, because I dislike the top panel layout, and though it doesn't look bad, it wouldn't match well with my desktop. Playing nicely with lower impedance gear would be a strong benefit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back