Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 13, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #4,381 of 4,487
My Beyer t90 is several years old, trying to find the slider repair kit.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #4,383 of 4,487
It's best to contact and order from Beyerdynamic directly if you can for that.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #4,384 of 4,487
I bought a set of used T90 a while ago. I run it from a Audio GD R2R 11 connected to my Squezebox.
I wanted to say that I almost passed on this wonderful headphone because of this review. In my opinion there is two explainations for this review. Either The guy had a faulty set or he does not know much about real soundquality.
I have been an audiophile for 30 years and have a speaker setup that noone would deny is pure highend. To get there, I have listened to hundreds of highend setups, so I know good sound when I hear it. My T90 sounds fabulous. I have not been able to use my speaker setup much since my son was born and I have missed it a lot. The T90 lets me enjoy my music so much that it is no longer a problem.

Ps! The T90 deserves a good R2R ladder DAC, it really shines with The R2R 11. This combo gets my feet tapping and hands conducting involuntary like nothing else. There is some great synergys Here. There is no fatigue at all, I often wear them for up to 5-6 hours. I have also slept whole nights with them on listening to Karunesh on repeat
T90 has a lot of resolution, a killer DAC is the way to go indeed.

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4,385 of 4,487
Watching a video with a guys gut hanging out and a bottle of whisky and ranting and raving....wow!!

Listeing with T90's right now and a Burson FUN amp with Sparko SS3601 op amps...

Good stuff sounds GREAT, el crapo stuff sounds like el crapo.

Light saber articulation...nothing medicore gets by and lots of people dont like this...so drink some more booze and whine!!

Very different from the T1's here....but still uncanny sharp and clear...this is not sibiiant IMO here...its just that these cans are so dang unforgiving....
and lost of stuff we listen to is well el crapo.

Alex

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #4,387 of 4,487
I bought a set of used T90 a while ago. I run it from a Audio GD R2R 11 connected to my Squezebox.
I wanted to say that I almost passed on this wonderful headphone because of this review. In my opinion there is two explainations for this review. Either The guy had a faulty set or he does not know much about real soundquality.
I have been an audiophile for 30 years and have a speaker setup that noone would deny is pure highend. To get there, I have listened to hundreds of highend setups, so I know good sound when I hear it. My T90 sounds fabulous. I have not been able to use my speaker setup much since my son was born and I have missed it a lot. The T90 lets me enjoy my music so much that it is no longer a problem.

Ps! The T90 deserves a good R2R ladder DAC, it really shines with The R2R 11. This combo gets my feet tapping and hands conducting involuntary like nothing else. There is some great synergys Here. There is no fatigue at all, I often wear them for up to 5-6 hours. I have also slept whole nights with them on listening to Karunesh on repeat

That's a pretty unfair judgement you have here considering there are more than two explanations. While I still own the T90's they are hands down the best worst purchase I have ever made in audio. I returned two pair hoping they had issues because of how painful they are. They are at the extreme of unforgiving and all three pair not only sounded exactly the same but sounded more like the description in that review than any review praising them. The only time I ever heard a T90 sound good stock is either with well recorded acoustic music or on an old vintage stereo owned by my friends parents. I don't own any old gear myself or anything with a high output impedance but the output impedance of an amp may help these but I really don't know. Maybe that is why you enjoy them while others(many others) find them painful. Maybe the music you listen to works well with them unlike the wide range of music that reviewer mostly uses for his testing. On top of that we have the hearing argument. For all anyone knows your hearing may not be great up high or people like myself may be over sensitive to the aggressive highend of the T90. If I'm being blunt I have yet to meet a person irl that tried my T90's with their selection of music and liked them. To be fair tubes helped but I never got in to the tube swapping thing. All I'm trying to say is there are plenty of valid reasons for him to have an opinion that doesn't match yours and you both can be right. In my case I am hearing what he was and regretted the purchase to the point I removed them from my music setup and moved them to my pc strictly for gaming. It wasn't until then I learned to love them. I have yet to find a better gaming headphone. That extremely boosted treble helps a lot and the imaging is insane. I'm also not against using eq with my pc setup and with eq these become one of if not my favorite for everything.

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #4,389 of 4,487
That's a pretty unfair judgement you have here considering there are more than two explanations. While I still own the T90's they are hands down the best worst purchase I have ever made in audio. I returned two pair hoping they had issues because of how painful they are. They are at the extreme of unforgiving and all three pair not only sounded exactly the same but sounded more like the description in that review than any review praising them. The only time I ever heard a T90 sound good stock is either with well recorded acoustic music or on an old vintage stereo owned by my friends parents. I don't own any old gear myself or anything with a high output impedance but the output impedance of an amp may help these but I really don't know. Maybe that is why you enjoy them while others(many others) find them painful. Maybe the music you listen to works well with them unlike the wide range of music that reviewer mostly uses for his testing. On top of that we have the hearing argument. For all anyone knows your hearing may not be great up high or people like myself may be over sensitive to the aggressive highend of the T90. If I'm being blunt I have yet to meet a person irl that tried my T90's with their selection of music and liked them. To be fair tubes helped but I never got in to the tube swapping thing. All I'm trying to say is there are plenty of valid reasons for him to have an opinion that doesn't match yours and you both can be right. In my case I am hearing what he was and regretted the purchase to the point I removed them from my music setup and moved them to my pc strictly for gaming. It wasn't until then I learned to love them. I have yet to find a better gaming headphone. That extremely boosted treble helps a lot and the imaging is insane. I'm also not against using eq with my pc setup and with eq these become one of if not my favorite for everything.

want to sell your t90's? I am looking to buy a pair in USA. i miss mine.

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #4,390 of 4,487
Still trying to find a slider repair kit for my T90?

May 5, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #4,393 of 4,487
Jun 10, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #4,394 of 4,487
I've taken a shot with this thing, Part of a repair operation i had to to take after i knocked my pair on the floor and the driver popped rtight off it's assembly (fortunately no wire issues... phew) and i had to reglue it back in. So this is my take:

I have prior experience modding headphones with dynamat, starting from the famous "markl world's best headphone" (Denon D5000) to CAL! to Ultrasone PRO900. You might notice a common denominator with all these cans: A fat bottom! (CAL less so). Well that's why it worked to various degrees, It deadned bass response to increase overall clarity. And it is exactly what it does in the T90, It simply decreases bass heft and that nice body the T90 possess in the mids thus making the sound harder and 'flatter', although might be the treble indeed loses a couple of db's, no sure. There's an increases sense of clarity but paradoxically it is less refined and lacking in body.

So heartily NOT recommended, I'm sorry to rain on the parade, I just don't think dynamat is the right tool for the job in this case.
Hmmm, "slight textured warmth to the sound". Yes I still hear that, and with slightly added clarity and slightly less treble harshness. Which is even more pronounced with my equipment mods, which can be found here for anyone interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693686/great-bargain-isolation-discovery/30#post_12947705

As many people know, most headphone manufacturers intend for their headphone material to sound a certain way, yet the mod community continues altering them to positive effect (with dynamat being used extensively), and HP companies keep releasing alternative versions of headphones (HD800S, T1 gen2, that new Beyer Amiron, which is supposed to address the flaws of the T90). So these kinds of mods are fairly commonplace. Of course one man's "deadening" could sound entirely different to someone else. Bass still has texture, and I am hearing even more nuance to it, again, in tune with my equipment mods. YMMV, IMO, etc etc... let's not get into a pissing match about who's wrong or right (there's no such thing in audio). My point is, what you're hearing may be different from what I'm hearing, or it may be the same and I just prefer it where you don't. Nothing wrong with that! Some hate the T90 with a passion outright, some love it. Who's right? Nobody. The mod didn't work for you, it's fun to experiment though.

If this proves anything, it is good for people to temper their expectations as a general rule.
Replace dynamat with a acoustipack 7mm layered deading foam.

It has butyl layer like dynamat, closed cell foam and top open cell foam.

It will tune up the whole spectrum better and is lighter than dynamat.

Due to bigger surface area of foam, it leads to better back wave damping in semi open design while its dynamat like property dampens the treble glare.
So no bass loss and treble damping.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #4,395 of 4,487
I think there are some "back waves" or something that shouldn't be messed with, that's why I don't keep dynamat around the main cup vent like he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back