Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 19, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,987 of 4,487
Hey guys, what do you think about him and this review?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnsB__VMMQ
[/, Who knows how much booze he has drank. There is a time and a place and all that and it ain't whilst your dribbling on about a set of cans, well maybe I guess!
However these headphones can be harsh,sibilant with peaky treble I totally agree, I don't like the sound through the fostex hp-a8 but love it through my icon tube just synergy I guess. Yesterday was the 1st time I had listened to DSD through this setup and I was blown away by it! Really significant upgrade to Wav on my kit so more of that required.

May 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #2,988 of 4,487

What's there to think about, he simply didn't like them, tho i didn't watch the whole video but part of it. I don't know what he used for a source or what he used to amp them. When I had the T90 they had great details and was clean, good bass too I did love the T90 but only with a tube amp like the little dot MK2 2.0. But the Brightness is what got me. Even tho I found a vacuum tube that toned the brightness down it did something else to the rest of the sound signature that I didn't like. But I end up moving away from them any way. I have High freq Tinnitus in my left ear and the brightness was bothering it, otherwise it wouldn't had bothered me so much.
The Beyerdynamic T90 isn't for every one of course but when paired with gear that make them shine they are good headphones. But as I said every one have a different sound signature that they want or like.

May 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,989 of 4,487

What's there to think about, he simply didn't like them, tho i didn't watch the whole video but part of it. I don't know what he used for a source or what he used to amp them. When I had the T90 they had great details and was clean, good bass too I did love the T90 but only with a tube amp like the little dot MK2 2.0. But the Brightness is what got me. Even tho I found a vacuum tube that toned the brightness down it did something else to the rest of the sound signature that I didn't like. But I end up moving away from them any way. I have High freq Tinnitus in my left ear and the brightness was bothering it, otherwise it wouldn't had bothered me so much.
The Beyerdynamic T90 isn't for every one of course but when paired with gear that make them shine they are good headphones. But as I said every one have a different sound signature that they want or like.

He claims to have paired them with the emotiva xda-2, fiio e09k, audio engine d1 and his roommates schiit stack and they all sounded bad. The t90s are a lot like grados in that they can come across as bright and harsh to a lot of people.

May 25, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #2,990 of 4,487
After picking the AKG K712's over these two years ago I could not handle wondering about the quality of these anymore.  I was put off by the sibilance reports since I hate sibilance and found the DT 880's very sibilant, but have not had an issue with these after trying the tracks which the DT 880s ruined (Be Your Sound by Emma Hewitt and Explain by Faunts).  They also require far less volume than my AKG K712's and are far bassier than the 880's. Almost all of my of my music is FLAC or Apple Lossless and I have a Denon 1713 receiver, Sony UDA-1 and Sound Blaster Z.

Any song suggestions to check for harshness and sibilance?

May 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,992 of 4,487
  After picking the AKG K712's over these two years ago I could not handle wondering about the quality of these anymore.  I was put off by the sibilance reports since I hate sibilance and found the DT 880's very sibilant, but have not had an issue with these after trying the tracks which the DT 880s ruined (Be Your Sound by Emma Hewitt and Explain by Faunts).  They also require far less volume than my AKG K712's and are far bassier than the 880's. Almost all of my of my music is FLAC or Apple Lossless and I have a Denon 1713 receiver, Sony UDA-1 and Sound Blaster Z.

Any song suggestions to check for harshness and sibilance?

Try Diana Krall.

May 26, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #2,993 of 4,487
Not sure if it's my setup or me.  I just received my T90s a couple days ago and was wondering where this "great detail" was. I'm coming from a close back Ultrasone HFI 580 which is known to have a V-shaped sound signature. My setup is the schiit  Modi 2 Uber connected to  my lenovo G505 laptop (nothing special) via a 3 foot usb 2.0 cable. The Schiit Magni 2 Uber is connected to the Modi via rca audio cables probably a good 3 feet. and I run my T90 through the 1/4" jack in the front of the Schiit Magni 2. Put simply it's  

Laptop >Modi 2 Uber (usb) > Magni 2 (rca cables) > T90s through the headphone out. 

Connected to my laptop the T90 do have an edgier sound to them. The sharp S sounds becomes more apparent on them as well all this at the cost of background noise from the laptop.  I know that you shouldn't compare close to open back but it appears that the HFi-580's have a better extended treble. Bass was fuller on the T90s but seemed cleaner and stood out more on my HFI- 580s perhaps due to the recessed mids (note my HFI-580 have pleather pads, and I'm using the stock pads with the T90 does that add to why my perceptions are that way?  Overall I would say the T90s had a warmer sound to them than my Vshaped Ultrasone HFI -580. I wanted to try a warm tube amp like the bottlehead crack with them because I heard they had a good synergy being warm while the T90s where sharp but I'm not so sure now after listening to the T90s myself. Is it natural for the T90s to have a warmer tone considering what I was using before?

May 26, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,994 of 4,487
  Not sure if it's my setup or me.  I just received my T90s a couple days ago and was wondering where this "great detail" was. I'm coming from a close back Ultrasone HFI 580 which is known to have a V-shaped sound signature. My setup is the schiit  Modi 2 Uber connected to  my lenovo G505 laptop (nothing special) via a 3 foot usb 2.0 cable. The Schiit Magni 2 Uber is connected to the Modi via rca audio cables probably a good 3 feet. and I run my T90 through the 1/4" jack in the front of the Schiit Magni 2. Put simply it's  

Laptop >Modi 2 Uber (usb) > Magni 2 (rca cables) > T90s through the headphone out. 

Connected to my laptop the T90 do have an edgier sound to them. The sharp S sounds becomes more apparent on them as well all this at the cost of background noise from the laptop.  I know that you shouldn't compare close to open back but it appears that the HFi-580's have a better extended treble. Bass was fuller on the T90s but seemed cleaner and stood out more on my HFI- 580s perhaps due to the recessed mids (note my HFI-580 have pleather pads, and I'm using the stock pads with the T90 does that add to why my perceptions are that way?  Overall I would say the T90s had a warmer sound to them than my Vshaped Ultrasone HFI -580. I wanted to try a warm tube amp like the bottlehead crack with them because I heard they had a good synergy being warm while the T90s where sharp but I'm not so sure now after listening to the T90s myself. Is it natural for the T90s to have a warmer tone considering what I was using before?

Whatever you put into them you get out of them. That is the best way to describe them. Completely vanilla they are hot, yet detailed. They are the sheer definition of precision in all aspects, so what you hear is what was put into whatever audio recording you are listening to. If they seem warm, something made them produce a warm sound. What I think you're experiencing here is a lack of soundstage. That's their Achilles' heel.

Here is the frequency response: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4143&scale=30

May 27, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #2,995 of 4,487
  Try Diana Krall.

A specific suggestion would be nice, though I will likely never listen to Diana Krall and they did pass 4/5 of my sibilance tests.  I don't find them harsh when listening to female vocals or content with lots of symbols.  In fact, I find them less harsh than my K712s which are also less clear, bassy and have a smaller sound stage.  I guess veiled is the most accurate adjective I can think of to describe the K712s vs T90s.  The T90s also don't require as much power to drive at high volumes and are compatible with my SBZ which is nice for splitting sources (console games and PC).

Emma Hewitt-Be Your Sound: both the DT 880's and former Denon D2000's suffer from sibilance in the first few notes
Faunts-Explain: The 880's and D2ks were sibilant fests from 4-5 minutes while the T90's are perfect and the vocals sound amazing compared to my K712's.

I have the lossless/FLAC versions of the above songs, but the youtube versions are also issue free.

May 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,996 of 4,487

I think he is quite an annoying f@t person! lol :)
The T-90 reveals poor recordings, and is extremely bright and sibilant.
If you want to enjoy poor recordings, stay away from the T90 lol

May 28, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,997 of 4,487
Last night i was laying in the bed, with T90 on my head, listening to Type o Negative - Christian woman.
I felt increadibly stretched in all directions, flat and solid. Instruments grew from me and were reaching great heights.
Like i was huge piece of earth with a fresh, moonlit forest on it. Blissful
dt880smile.png

May 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,999 of 4,487
Would the rest of you describe the T90 as just a pleasant sounding headphone? Warm tone, with some treble that stand out, pretty smooth midrange (minus a couple peaks at higher frequencies) and a bass region that's reaches a little low and is textured?

May 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,000 of 4,487
"pleasant sounding headphone? Warm tone, with some treble, and bass that's reaches a little low and is textured"- Yeah, that's about right to my ears. I wouldn't characterize them as cold and analytical as a DT880 or K701, SA5000 and certainly not HD800's surgical precision. But, going from my very vague memory of the Ultrasone PRO900's i'd definitely say the T90 stomps all over them in terms of separation and texture, so that'd make them more analytical in my book. Having a properly contolled bass response also helps a lot. I think that you find the HFI580 more "revealing" because you are accustomed to the hyper U-shape Ultrasone sound house. True detail is there when you hear more body and weight to the notes, without sensing a decrease in clarity, not just 'sharper' transients.

However, there are certainly more cold and analytical open heaphones out there, but usually the trade-off is average bass extention at best. I think you should try to upgrade to a better closed headphones if you're looking for a more refined HFI580, a Fostex TH600 maybe?

On second thought: No, I don't find the T90 as predominantly warm with some treble thrown-in... But they do possess some added warmness in the mid section that gives them a fuller and weighty tone than how purely analytical headphones would present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back