Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 2, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,971 of 4,487
  Yes, I removed the extra foam center (specifically the one that was pre-existing from the standard T90 pads). The brainwavs are thicker, but they are much softer, so they mush down due to pressure. I didn't like the brainwavs pads in comparison to what I linked above. There's no big mystery here. For $10 you can try yourself.  

I also don't believe pads "change sound" as I've seen many people obsess about. Even the idea of it seems absurd. 

I agree about pads...to some extent...but...if you layer foam on top of foam, and in addition one set isolates better (or worse, by design) than the next there will obviously be sonic differences...perhaps even designed/intended by the manufacturer!

I'm wondering whether I prefer to remove the OE foam disc or cut-away the foam on the HM5 or Hifimans instead...

-Mark

May 2, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #2,972 of 4,487
So...I tried the HM5s out again this evening...sounded fine, maybe a little veiled...mid bass does seem a little stronger.

Now, I've cut out the pantyhose material from the inside and the punch is back...mid-bass seems to remain.  I think they're pretty comfortable, but I only have used/worn/somewhat flattened OE Beyer pads to go by.

I might try the Hiimans for $10...or just wait and grab a fresh pair of EDT990s eventually.

-Mark

May 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #2,973 of 4,487
http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

DON'T reply If someone makes an off-topic, rude or otherwise inappropriate comment, or a post appears to be trolling or spam. Report it by clicking on the red flag and filling in the box explaining what the problem is and let the moderators take care of it. If something is inappropriate or rude, what is the point of giving it more attention by replying to it and/or quoting it?!? If nobody replies to or comments on a trolling or abusive post 100% of the time the person goes away!

May 4, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,974 of 4,487
  Yes, I removed the extra foam center (specifically the one that was pre-existing from the standard T90 pads). The brainwavs are thicker, but they are much softer, so they mush down due to pressure. I didn't like the brainwavs pads in comparison to what I linked above. There's no big mystery here. For $10 you can try yourself.  

I also don't believe pads "change sound" as I've seen many people obsess about. Even the idea of it seems absurd. 

In my opinion the pads certainly have a big effect on the sound reaching the ear. Just like the material of the housing and the airflow around the driver. From my experience working with the BeoPlay H6 at Bang & Olufsen they tried a lot of pads and different leather qualities and it certainly does change the sound, also the material inside the pads influences the sound to some extend. So finding the right compromise between comfort and sound is a science if you ask me. Changing pads is an easy way to modify a pair of headphones. Try the different cushions for Grado headphones and you will find that you can have three different headphones with three different cushions. If you have a pair of HD650 then try the APureSound mod, which is also just abot removing pads and material around the driver. http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

May 7, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,978 of 4,487
  There is a T90 in the classifieds "like new" for $300. Just a heads up to everyone here that might not even own a pair of these.

For engineering/reference/detail-freak purposes, the T-90 is nearly on par, and in some areas, exceeding some headphones @ 3-4x that asking price.  Snap that deal up, HeadFi!!!!!  Thank us later.

May 8, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #2,979 of 4,487
For engineering/reference/detail-freak purposes, the T-90 is nearly on par, and in some areas, exceeding some headphones @ 3-4x that asking price.  Snap that deal up, HeadFi!!!!!  Thank us later.

I think I might like them but having not personally tried them, I am scared to just buy them blind. But maybe they would be worth the gamble based on the following experience:

This last week, I went to an audio shop and tried planars for the first time and much to my surprise, I actually did not warm to the HiFiMAN sound. Having heard the HE-400i, HE-500, HE-560 and HE-6, it is just far too scooped in the lower treble and upper midrange for me to enjoy it.

The HE-6 was the only one I kind of liked but I still had issues with this slight dip. From what I can recall, the Sennheiser HD 800 is much more detailed and engaging. I also tried the new E revision of the Grado RS-1 and that has taken a turn for the worse, and, though I never was particularly fond of the Grado sound, now it is also dark (yes, even darker than an HD 650) and honky in the midrange.

I must admit, I do not like the latest direction Grado has taken with John's son now calling the shots with a lot of things. However, I really liked the bright and engaging sound of the newer PS-1000E--fortunately, its sound appears to be unspoiled and unchanged by the latest revisions.

Hands down, it was my favorite headphone of the entire listening session. The graphs online suggest the PS-1000 is as bright as the T90. Is this true? If so, I now know for certain that my ears can take the T90 with no issues whatsoever.

May 9, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,981 of 4,487
Hi guys

I have a D1050 and Beyerdynamic T90. My setup is:

Foobar2000 (flac) -> D1050 -> T90

The Beyerdynamic T90 is bright and accurate, bass light (as for my taste). I am interested in pairing with warm sounding amp, which will tame the treble and add a little bit of bass. From what I hear the T90 should pair well with tube amps, and I am considering Crack, LaFIgaro, V200, Valhalla etc.

The question now is: how warm is my built-in D1050 amp already.People say it is warm, and I can definitely hear that it is not as neutral as O2/ODAC, but how big will be difference between D1050 and those other good tube amps?

And, generally, does it make sense to upgrade the amp, or the amp in D1050 is good enough for this setup? My plan was to keep D1050 solely as a DAC (as I understood, the DAC is very good, amp is an addition but performs really well), and in the future if I will want VERY good DAC; I can use D1050 in my TV setup.

Question again: how much improvement in my setup can I expect with change to:

Foobar2000 (flac) -> D1050(DAC) -> Crack/Valhalla/Lyr/LaFigaro339/ViolectricV200 -> T90

May 12, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #2,982 of 4,487
  Hi guys

I have a D1050 and Beyerdynamic T90. My setup is:

Foobar2000 (flac) -> D1050 -> T90

The Beyerdynamic T90 is bright and accurate, bass light (as for my taste). I am interested in pairing with warm sounding amp, which will tame the treble and add a little bit of bass. From what I hear the T90 should pair well with tube amps, and I am considering Crack, LaFIgaro, V200, Valhalla etc.

The question now is: how warm is my built-in D1050 amp already.People say it is warm, and I can definitely hear that it is not as neutral as O2/ODAC, but how big will be difference between D1050 and those other good tube amps?

And, generally, does it make sense to upgrade the amp, or the amp in D1050 is good enough for this setup? My plan was to keep D1050 solely as a DAC (as I understood, the DAC is very good, amp is an addition but performs really well), and in the future if I will want VERY good DAC; I can use D1050 in my TV setup.

Question again: how much improvement in my setup can I expect with change to:

Foobar2000 (flac) -> D1050(DAC) -> Crack/Valhalla/Lyr/LaFigaro339/ViolectricV200 -> T90

I really loved the T90 through my BH Crack, even without the speedball upgrade. And right now, there is one in the classifieds for $300! If I didn't already own one, I would be all over that. The tubes really bring a thicker low end without sacrificing the clarity of the T90's highs.

May 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #2,983 of 4,487
I wonder how will the T90 pair with the Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon? :)

May 14, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #2,984 of 4,487
I think I might like them but having not personally tried them, I am scared to just buy them blind. But maybe they would be worth the gamble based on the following experience:

This last week, I went to an audio shop and tried planars for the first time and much to my surprise, I actually did not warm to the HiFiMAN sound. Having heard the HE-400i, HE-500, HE-560 and HE-6, it is just far too scooped in the lower treble and upper midrange for me to enjoy it.

The HE-6 was the only one I kind of liked but I still had issues with this slight dip. From what I can recall, the Sennheiser HD 800 is much more detailed and engaging. I also tried the new E revision of the Grado RS-1 and that has taken a turn for the worse, and, though I never was particularly fond of the Grado sound, now it is also dark (yes, even darker than an HD 650) and honky in the midrange.

I must admit, I do not like the latest direction Grado has taken with John's son now calling the shots with a lot of things. However, I really liked the bright and engaging sound of the newer PS-1000E--fortunately, its sound appears to be unspoiled and unchanged by the latest revisions.

Hands down, it was my favorite headphone of the entire listening session. The graphs online suggest the PS-1000 is as bright as the T90. Is this true? If so, I now know for certain that my ears can take the T90 with no issues whatsoever.

my ps1000, original version, maybe slightly brighter than my t90.

May 14, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #2,985 of 4,487

my ps1000, original version, maybe slightly brighter than my t90.

I've never demo'd the PS1000, time to see if a local chicagoan owns some !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back