Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,956 of 4,487
  I'm currently using an Audio-GD NFB29 (High Gain) together with my T90s, and it sounds like heaven. 

Just a couple of notes: The T90s are -from my point of view- designed to be used listening at high quality masters and certain types of music. I only use them to listen at classical music (from opera to barroque quartets) and jazz.

I've given them a try listening at some pop groups at 320kbps (.mp3) or AC/DC recordings and I could not wear the T90s more than three songs. 
biggrin.gif

Just my two cents...

Yes they definitely let me know how badly recorded/mastered a lot of pop music is. If i stream flacs via tidal through my marantz receiver or ha-2 forget about it, its icepicks in my ears. However my denon piccolo ceol receiver is another story, I don't know what dac/amp they're using inside but it takes the edge of the top end and makes it quite listenable.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #2,957 of 4,487
Has anyone tried the now ubiquitous HM5 ear pads on the T90?

Given that they have a "built-in" foam disc, they might have a similar effect to the recent "tissue experiments".

Of course, they are also lacking the holes on the interior surface of the pad and might effect bass clarity.

Anyone???

-Mark in St. Louis

May 1, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #2,959 of 4,487
  No, use these as replacement pads:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV2JYXK

Cheap, and fit perfectly. And they are firm, they don't flatten out like the Beyer replacements do. (order several pair, that price is killer)

Those look just like the Brainwavz pads...same attributes...integral foam...no holes.

I'm not necessarily looking for replacements...just looking for opinions/experiences.

Did you use the Hifiman pads with your T90s?  What were the results??

-Mark

May 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,961 of 4,487
  Has anyone tried the now ubiquitous HM5 ear pads on the T90?

Given that they have a "built-in" foam disc, they might have a similar effect to the recent "tissue experiments".

Of course, they are also lacking the holes on the interior surface of the pad and might effect bass clarity.

Anyone???

-Mark in St. Louis

Now you're making me curious...just found these which are tempting me right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161653859417?lpid=82&chn=ps

The shape is all wrong, though; will they stretch into a perfect circle, do you think?

May 1, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #2,962 of 4,487

Now you're making me curious...just found these which are tempting me right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161653859417?lpid=82&chn=ps

The shape is all wrong, though; will they stretch into a perfect circle, do you think?

Those are the pads...but...the pleather version.

I have a pair of the velours sitting here...$19.50 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430492197&sr=8-1&keywords=hm5+velour

-Mark

May 1, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #2,963 of 4,487

Those are the pads...but...the pleather version.

I have a pair of the velours sitting here...$19.50 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430492197&sr=8-1&keywords=hm5+velour

-Mark

I saw those too...think I'll try the pleather first, I would ideally like just a tiny bit more deep (<40 hz) punch out of my T90, and pleather pads usually do a bit more for bass than velours IME.

May 1, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2,965 of 4,487

I'm thinking I might cut the extra foam out of the center...seemed a little veiled, to be honest.

-Mark

Hmm. Maybe the foam is too thick? My tissue mod is literally only 4 plies thick (one tissue, folded in half), so if the foam is like 1/2 cm or more, it makes sense I guess.

May 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,966 of 4,487

Hmm. Maybe the foam is too thick? My tissue mod is literally only 4 plies thick (one tissue, folded in half), so if the foam is like 1/2 cm or more, it makes sense I guess.

I'm also using SolderDude's passive filter, so my need for additional foam/tissue/etc. is minimized or eliminated already.

My main area of concern is the lack of perforation on the backside of the pad mounting surface...dunno if it matters, but I highly doubt Beyerdynamic would have paid extra $/labor to have them present if they didn't offer some designed benefit.

-Mark

May 1, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #2,967 of 4,487
Right, I forgot about that. Would you mind comparing the HM5 pads without the filter to stock, and maybe even the stock pads with filter?

Ah you mean the little holes on the back of Beyer pads? I dunno, I use off-brand velours on my DT770 and they sound great. I'd guess it's a way to distinguish fakes.

May 1, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #2,968 of 4,487

Those look just like the Brainwavz pads...same attributes...integral foam...no holes.

I'm not necessarily looking for replacements...just looking for opinions/experiences.

Did you use the Hifiman pads with your T90s?  What were the results??

-Mark

They are nothing alike. The hifiman are vastly superior IMO. I hated the brainwavz.

May 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2,970 of 4,487
Yes, I removed the extra foam center (specifically the one that was pre-existing from the standard T90 pads). The brainwavs are thicker, but they are much softer, so they mush down due to pressure. I didn't like the brainwavs pads in comparison to what I linked above. There's no big mystery here. For $10 you can try yourself.  

I also don't believe pads "change sound" as I've seen many people obsess about. Even the idea of it seems absurd. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back