Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #4,321 of 4,487
Who has heard the T90 and Amiron (Supposedly the replacement/upgrade to T90?

How do they compare and which did you think is better?

I would assume Amiron is better since it is the upgraded model.

I’m also curious about the DT1990s against T90s, (which I love)... When I went from my old 990 Pros, sometine back, I was shocked at how much better my T90s were!

May 29, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #4,323 of 4,487
Do you guys know where one could order a headband / top cushion from? I could not find one in the Beyer store and mine beside getting very loose also feels like the fabric has started to fall apart. Gluing it back would not make a lot of sense unfortunately, but only replacing it with a brand new one.

May 31, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #4,324 of 4,487
Just wondering, has anyone tried removing the foam piece in the earcups that cover the drivers? I assume the foam is there to improve the sound?

I just get the sense that to get the full sound you should not have anything blocking the drivers, to me its like have a camera lens and putting a filter on top which to me worsens the quality.

Any feedback from those who tried would be good.

UPDATE: Ummmm...this is awkward, literally a page back someone mentions there experience with this exact thing haha...sorry guys.

Anyway, it would still be good to get a couple of different opinions.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #4,325 of 4,487
Lately I have been totally enamored with my Schitt Vahalla 2 combined with a Bifrost MB DAC with USB Gen5.

Both with T1's and T90's.

I have a slightly modified Bottlehead Crack that has been sitting here gathering dust, tonight I resurrected it, warmed up the tubes and am

Alex
:):L3000::darthsmile::ksc75smile::o2smile:

Hi Alex,

I noticed you have both the Valhalla 2 and BH Crack.

Both of these are my top options for amp at the moment.

I was wondering how do they compare when using with the T90?

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #4,326 of 4,487
Hi Bruc3,

Between the two its a hard choice both are really good with the T90's. Either one should make you very happy.
I think the main difference is in the sounstage or openess.

The BH Crack (with the Speedball constant current upgrade) I think is better than the Vahalla 2. Its more open, and wide...the difference is like
moving the speaker or drivers farther out from your ear....that type of affect. (Both have enough power to make your ears bleed!).

The Vahalla 2 ( listening with it right now...)...seems more in your face, like in the front row center, tight, crisp amd veryu accurate to me....you can hear anything
thats in a recording good or bad....

With the BH Crack its more open and musical....the presentation is beautiful....more like your in row 10, center at a concert...

After going thru 10+ amps, most DIY...I thought I would sell all but one....well I am thinnning the herd here and am selling some of my SS amps but the "4" that will stay
are the BH Crack and Mainline, the Schitt Vahalla 2 and the Desktop O2 or AGDR's "ODA"...

You should hear the T90's on the ODA, its very, very crisp, accurate and articulate....with superlative recordings its one of the best I have ever heard!! IMO. :>)

That said sometimes the more musical and open stuff is more fun to listen with...

If you like building the BH is the way to go, its really an easy amp to build..if your intimidated get the Vahalla 2.

If you can afford and like to build the Mainline is the TOTL IMO, but its more of a chore to build...

Good Luck!
Alex

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #4,327 of 4,487
If you like building the BH is the way to go, its really an easy amp to build..if your intimidated get the Vahalla 2.

If you can afford and like to build the Mainline is the TOTL IMO, but its more of a chore to build...

Good Luck!
Alex

Thanks for the feedback Alex, the open stage of the BH does intrigue me, unfortunately I never done any DIY stuff before and have never soldered in my life. So at the moment I am leaning towards Valhalla 2. Other thing is I am quite picky with the aesthetics, and I think the Valhalla looks gorgeous but the BH is hideous (too big and looks way too garage project). But in the end, the sound of the BH still intrigues me.

If I ever see a BH used (built already) for sale I might buy it just to try. For now its looking like I might go with Valhalla 2.

Another thing, I have never experienced a tube amp before only SS amps and that being a Magni 3.

Not sure if you have heard the Magni before, but how would you say it compares to the Valhalla 2?

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #4,328 of 4,487
I have not heard the Magni, but I am tempted to get one for $99!!

But I have so many amps here its not funny!!! lol !

The BH is big and looks old school for sure and the wood base does require glueing and some patience in doing a
finish on it....so many variables...

You will like the Vahalla 2....

Enjoy!
Alex

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #4,329 of 4,487
I have quite a specific question I hope some of you might be able to help out with:

I use my T90 with a Beyerdynamic A20 amplifier and a JDS Labs Ol Dac to play or stream flacs from my MacBook Pro via the optical out. However, when I compare the sound of the dac to the sound of my turntable (Thorens TD 166II, Ortofon om10 and NAD PP2), I notice that the dac is somewhat lacking in terms of instrument separation and has a flatter soundstage. If I had to describe the soundstage I’d say that it feels like musicians are all standing on a line opposite me, rather than at different places in a room.

Do any of you have experience with pairing the T90/A20 with a dac that meets my need for more dynamic staging and clearer separation?

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #4,331 of 4,487
Thanks for the feedback Alex, the open stage of the BH does intrigue me, unfortunately I never done any DIY stuff before and have never soldered in my life. So at the moment I am leaning towards Valhalla 2. Other thing is I am quite picky with the aesthetics, and I think the Valhalla looks gorgeous but the BH is hideous (too big and looks way too garage project). But in the end, the sound of the BH still intrigues me.

If I ever see a BH used (built already) for sale I might buy it just to try. For now its looking like I might go with Valhalla 2.

Another thing, I have never experienced a tube amp before only SS amps and that being a Magni 3.

Not sure if you have heard the Magni before, but how would you say it compares to the Valhalla 2?

I have an original Valhalla not the 2 and it pairs well with the T90's if you already like their sound. The Valhalla isn't an overly warm amp and won't soften the highs in bright recordings. It is well built and a nice value for the money in my opinion.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #4,332 of 4,487
Irsdrn,

I have not heard the A20, but have similar amps in design...It could be both the amp and / or the dac combination.
I have 2 ODACS and use them for years with the USB interface. With the T90s and they worked well across a variety of SS amps.

It may be more your dac? If you can try the cans on a different PC, not a Mac just to see if its not further upstream?

I also would highly think of replacing the dac with a R2R ladder dac ...from Schitt?? their modi line is the least costly.
I swithched to a BIFROST last year and dont use any of the other dacs anymore.

Alex

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #4,333 of 4,487
It may be more your dac? If you can try the cans on a different PC, not a Mac just to see if its not further upstream?

Thanks, will check. What pointed me towards the dac is the fact that I didn't have this complaint as much when I was using my Dragonfly Black as the dac (even though the Ol Dac beats that in other departments).

I also would highly think of replacing the dac with a R2R ladder dac ...

As I am quite new to dac terminology: what advantage would an R/2R have over a DS dac?

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #4,334 of 4,487
There are many places to read about the circuit differences and opinions:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/r2r...e-scientific-difference-thats-audible.779572/

To me I have three DS dacs, one R2R implementation and to me the R2R just makes the sound "better". all those glorious adjectives!! lol!

I am mostly a subjective guy, but when it comes down to it when I use the Bifrost, I just cant seem to go back to my other DS dacs.....it may be in my head
but IMO the R2R really shines....some of the asynch DS dacs like the HRT MSii+ is a very nice dac...and its implementation deals with jitter nicely.

Sometimes the voltage a dac puts out may be a bit different and this makes one seem better than another so you have to be careful and level match them for a real
comparison...

Schitt's Modi I see is about $250 or so...this looks pretty good on the low end of this type of dac.

Alex

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #4,335 of 4,487

Users who are viewing this thread

Back