Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #4,291 of 4,487
I do own a pair of Beyer T90s. I love them. Comfort, details, soundstage are all top notch. I am looking for a decent DAC/Amp Upgrade, though.

I do not own any High Res Audio and a Deezer Hifi (16-Bit losless flac) subscription is the hightest quality my source material will be. This may change in the future, if higher quality streaming services drop into the 15 EUR/month price range. I will do a lot of gaming with it, though.

Currently I am using a Sennheiser GSX-1000. Its great for its HRTF-simulation but with Dolby Headphone in Windows that's kinda obsolete now. It's only mediocre as a DAC. I am also using an O2.

I want to tame the harsh highs of the T90 a bit.

Options I am considering:

- Schiit Valhalla 2 + a cheap ES9018 based DAC, later upgrading to something better
- Modi Multibit + Vali 2
- Chord Mojo

Cheap Route:

- Soundblaster E5

Aesthetics do matter, so Little Dots and the like are out.
The T90 didn't work for me with any of the solid state amps I've tried. Class A or not, it was always too much treble. However works like a charm with the LD MkII and the Mullard tubes, and it stays now there permanently connected. It is unbelievable how much transformation does T90 show switching between low-impedance-output SS amp to highish output impedance OTL.
As you said, Little Dots are no-go for you, but then I would look for any other tube OTL amp or not so low impedance output. Beyers designed their older hp amps with a 120 Ohm output in mind, and that makes a difference.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #4,293 of 4,487
I hope someone here can help with my attempt at Beyerdynamic T90, T70, and DT Series (probably 990) pad identification. I am in the process of starting to re-home some of my large collection, and I have put replacement aftermarket pads on my Beyers. I am trying to figure out which of my Beyer Pads Fit Which Phones, but cannot find definitive photos anywhere. If someone has T90s (mine are Black/Chrome), DT-990s (mine are Black/Chrome) and/or T70 (normal flavor) and can identify which is which it would be appreciated. I have at least 3 types shown below:
sQzA6tYbJRwIyPQx2

PadsS.jpg

Type 1 I think is the DT-990 - Perforated back, Deep black velour/microfiber (visible fiber) and a bit higher than the other 2.

Type 2, Single hole on the back, Deep Black what looks like felt (no visible standing fibers, perhaps the shortest)

Type 3, Pads themselves are very similar to type 2 (feltish) but not quite as black, and perforated back. I want to match the right pads with the right phones. I also have 770s, 880s, so it is possible one matches them.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #4,294 of 4,487
I hope someone here can help with my attempt at Beyerdynamic T90, T70, and DT Series (probably 990) pad identification. I am in the process of starting to re-home some of my large collection, and I have put replacement aftermarket pads on my Beyers. I am trying to figure out which of my Beyer Pads Fit Which Phones, but cannot find definitive photos anywhere. If someone has T90s (mine are Black/Chrome), DT-990s (mine are Black/Chrome) and/or T70 (normal flavor) and can identify which is which it would be appreciated. I have at least 3 types shown below:
sQzA6tYbJRwIyPQx2

Type 1 I think is the DT-990 - Perforated back, Deep black velour/microfiber (visible fiber) and a bit higher than the other 2.

Type 2, Single hole on the back, Deep Black what looks like felt (no visible standing fibers, perhaps the shortest)

Type 3, Pads themselves are very similar to type 2 (feltish) but not quite as black, and perforated back. I want to match the right pads with the right phones. I also have 770s, 880s, so it is possible one matches them.

Thanks in advance.

Type 2 (the thinnest ones) are the stock T70 pads. Type 3 are the stock T90 pads.

The stock T70 pads are in my opinion too thin and practically make the T70 on ear headphones with poor sealing. I recommend getting the DT1770 velour pads from amazon uk for the T70 to increase comfort and bass response.

I recommend sticking with stock pads for your other Beyer headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #4,295 of 4,487
Type 3 is definitivly a Tesla pad. T 90 should be right, while typical for an open can. I have not removed them yet.
Type 3 can be the 990 VB. I buyed them for my DT 990 Pro(early production).
Never seen the black pad for DT 880.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #4,298 of 4,487
Wow, I always thought that the T70 and T90 had the same type earpads. I like the T70 earpads and did find them comfortable but now have T5P earpads on my T70 as they are more comfortable and make the sound completely neutral.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #4,299 of 4,487
There seems to be consensus that Type 1 is DT 990, Type 2 the T70, and Type 3 the T90. In looking closely the fabric on the Type 2 is definitely a bit shorter than the 3, so that seems to match what I have read. HOWEVER, I just put the type 2 on the T70s and while it looks right, I see that the non-perforated back is a lot stiffer than the perforated backs of 1 &3, so it holds the pads higher off the inside of the cup than the perforated on would when its on your ear (I think). In any case, you can easily see it is non-perforated when it is on the headphone, so you do not have to remove a cup to check. (See below). If the consensus is right, the T90 & DT 990s should have perforated backings visible, and the T70 should have a visible unperforated one.

T702S.jpg

9U6x85OYyU277htJ2

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #4,300 of 4,487
Hi, I hope I'm posting in the right place... I've loved my T90s over the past 3 or more years! But just now I've discovered that the right side is a bit quieter than the left. No crackles when I move or handle the headphones. But a significant, steady lack of R/H volume, on all devices I've tested them with. As these headphones are essential for writing music...can anyone suggest what to do? Get a new plug to replace the old? Thanks!

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #4,303 of 4,487
Understand the lack of funds!!

I would look very carefully at all the places the cables enter the headphones, they aren't easily removed or can be accessed without taking them apart. If your not adept mechanically I wouldn't go there. There are some take apart videos that give you an idea on how to disassemble etc...

If the volume is indeed lower one side, check the phone plug...again not easily taken apart at all...if you carefully wiggle the cable near the strain relief can you get the volume to come back to a higher level? Most breakages seem to be right outside of the strain relief area. If wiggling here brings back the sound, then possibly replacing the jack will fix the issue.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...k&qpvt=replace+beyer+t90+phone+jack&FORM=VDRE

The other places are where the cables enter the headphone, wiggle here and if this brings the sound back then your going to have to go into the cans..again not impossible but a pain.

The other possibility is a damaged driver?

Have you tried other headphones or earbuds in the devices to make sure the devices are indeed ok as well?

Good Luck
Alex

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #4,304 of 4,487
Thanks Alex.
The devices have been tested and are ok. My first suspicion is always the plug. But I’ve tried wiggling the cable in various places without any indication of breakage. I might have to ask Beyerdynamic about the cost of a replacement driver if I don’t get anywhere. Cheers

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #4,305 of 4,487
Just my two cents as a non-sequitur: Dekoni Audio fenestrated sheepskin pads are perfect on my T90s. They look super cool too. They tame the treble a bit and improve the bass because they move the driver further from the ear but they don't heavily color the sound because they don't seal like the solid sheepskin pads.

It's also worth noting that the T90s EQ really well because of how versatile and responsive the driver is. So if you'd like to roll off those harsh highs and warm up the sound, you totally should experiment with some EQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back