beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jan 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,651 of 1,963
  Worked perfectly. I installed a Toxic Silver Poison I bought and put in a draw for a few years and finally decided to test my crude skills soldering it in hopefully without destroying everything in the process. I managed a solid installation that doesn't look remotely professional with the shrink tube on the plug end. The Silver Toxic fits perfectly into the stock cup entry nozzle, only needed to set up a stress relief. Soldering was a breeze to the driver terminals. Safe and functional.

Fantastic! The dynamic range is significantly bigger, that is what I noticed immediately. 

Stock is still fine, if you have a spare silver strand lying about have a crack at installing, it's worthwhile.

I love these headphones.

Awesome, glad it worked out!
Quick question, how did you remove the stock strain relief (the chunk of rubber on the inside of the cup)?  I haven't figured out a way to do this cleanly. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,652 of 1,963

Awesome, glad it worked out!
Quick question, how did you remove the stock strain relief (the chunk of rubber on the inside of the cup)?  I haven't figured out a way to do this cleanly. 

I don't think I had to do that. I removed the brass grommet. The new cable fitted through no problems. I made a rudimentary stop with some rubber and a tiny zip tie inside the cup. All done.

Here is a snap of the external. In the future I'll probably re-terminate nicely with a high-end 3.5mm.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,653 of 1,963

I don't think I had to do that. I removed the brass grommet. The new cable fitted through no problems. I made a rudimentary stop with some rubber and a tiny zip tie inside the cup. All done.

Here is a snap of the external. In the future I'll probably re-terminate nicely with a high-end 3.5mm.

Thanks!  The brass grommet was the key I was missing.  Your new cable looks great!

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,654 of 1,963
I have ordered a Beyerdynamic A 200 p portable DAC / amp to complement my T 5 p.  It arrives tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it!

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,655 of 1,963
My T5p is not on display for all to admire. 
biggrin.gif
 It's a back shed job.

The Silver Poison is good. It has benefits and detractions on build and sound. The stock cable is also good.

I like Stefan AudioArt more than almost any other cables. I have an Equinox from many years back, this may work better with the T5p sound and it looks to fit easily into the cup. The Endorphin on T5p looks INTENSE!

A ViaBlue 3.5mm seems to be a suitable diameter to make a cleaner finish. Oyaide or Furutech cannot take the diameter I need.

How does the A200p/AK200 go with the T5p?

I would keep the stock cable if not using something like, e.g. AK240, or better.

Which ever way it goes, T5p is engaging.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,656 of 1,963
  I have ordered a Beyerdynamic A 200 p portable DAC / amp to complement my T 5 p.  It arrives tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it!

OMG, 
etysmile.gif

Listening to Billy Bragg (Tooth and Nail 2013) through the T5p's right now.  Amazing sound.  I can't recommend the T5p's with a tube-amp enough (I'm using a DIY EL84 amp).

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #1,658 of 1,963
The Slappa hardbody large headphone case fits the T5p well. The only point of concern would be the cable entry points. The cable I installed doesn't have the brass grommet anymore so I feel safer. Too bad these cases are hard to get hold of.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,659 of 1,963
Dear T5Peers,

I am in the throes of modding my HE-6, and absolutely loving the results.   And so, I am now considering doing some SQ modding of my already cable-modded T5P.  Specifically, I would like to tame the higher frequencies, possibly by adding some dampening to the inside of the cups.   

Does anyone have any experience, or know of any other sources of information, of this kind of modification of the T5P?  

I have searched the thread, but I get swamped with all the cable mods . . 

Thanks,

d

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,660 of 1,963
I have done that and reported in the thread some time ago, but don't blame you for bringing it up again.
In my case the range most affected was upper mids, but that may depend on the material used, size and shape of the dampening pads. I ended up using soft foam rings matching the size of the rings on the inside of the cup. Other things to try would be cotton pads, dynamat or felt.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #1,661 of 1,963
This is probably a frequent asked question.
Is the cable replacement a game changer? Supposing there won't be any trouble with the stock cable... Thing is i live in Europe and will cost me a big amount of money to send it to Moon Audio or ALO (i am way to scared to mod them myself)... 

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,662 of 1,963
Is the cable replacement a game changer? Supposing there won't be any trouble with the stock cable... Thing is i live in Europe and will cost me a big amount of money to send it to Moon Audio or ALO (i am way to scared to mod them myself)... 

I have not actually purchased the T5p yet; I am trying to decide between them, the LCD-XC, Alpha Primes or the Enigmas; it is driving me crazy.
Anyway, back to my point, I live in the UK and if I purchase the T5p's I will definitely do the removable cable mod.
customcans.co.uk seem to do nice work and they will fit mini XLR sockets into the T5p's for £40 and the postage costs seem reasonable too.
forzaaudioworks.com are based in Poland and they make really nice cables which are a lot cheaper than importing them from the US.
I hope that helps; maybe one day soon I will actually decide which headphones to purchase!

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,664 of 1,963

It`s an easy job; anyone who can solder can recable the T5P.  The guys did mine while I waited.  The T5P pops apart in about 2 mintues.  No need to mail it away, or pay big bucks . . .   

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,665 of 1,963

It`s an easy job; anyone who can solder can recable the T5P.  The guys did mine while I waited.  The T5P pops apart in about 2 mintues.  No need to mail it away, or pay big bucks . . .   

Solder?  Like this??  I think I can do that!!!

Let's get started!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back