beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jan 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,636 of 1,963
I just received my own Beyerdynamic T 5 p, purchased to complement my wonderful open headphones (Grado HP1000, Sennheiser HD800, Grado PS1000, and many others), for use in my new listening room.  The new listening room is our family room, which has most comfortable chairs, but sometimes has the TV on as others watch.  I bought the T 5 p as an audiophile-quality closed headphone to combat the TV noise.

It is still cold from its arrival in our 2 deg F weather, yet of course I had to open it, try it, and report on its preliminaries, here.

It came with the aluminum case and the cloth bag, an extension cable, an adapter to allow its 1/8" plug to go into a 1/4" receptacle, and of course the headphones themselves. The plug on the end of the headphone cable is in line, not the 90 deg. bend shown in some earlier versions.

Recognizing that they are not only not burned in (bought new!), and that they are still cold, they still sound Fabulous.   They have none of the congestion that I had resigned myself to with my other closed headphones (V-MODA M100, Beats Studio 2013, and to a lesser extent, the Sennheiser Momentum On Ears).

They have the fast, clear treble that is the hallmark of the Grado open headphones... YAY!  They run fine with no amp from my iPod Classic.

Bass seems strong, though too soon to tell.  Others have reported that 1) bass is weak, 2) bass gets stronger with an amp, particularly one of rather high input impedance (counterintuitive but observed earlier on this thread), and 3) bass improves with age (burn-in)

But even if they stayed raw and cold as they are, I would be satisfied.  Oh, and they are comfortable (but COLLLDDDD!!!).

More later.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,637 of 1,963
Welcome to the T5p owners club! I hope you will find that they get better when you get them all warmed up and burned in. 

By the way what an impressive collection of headphones you have. I used to be a Grado fan and love the Grado sound. Specially the edgy and punchy sound of SR325i. I also find that the T5p gives me some of that - but not all. It is the best compromise when I cannot use open headphones where I live. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,638 of 1,963

It is the best compromise when I cannot use open headphones where I live. 

Exactly!  I was looking for the open Grado sound in a closed headphone for when I need isolation.  So far I think the T 5 p is doing that. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,639 of 1,963
  Exactly!  I was looking for the open Grado sound in a closed headphone for when I need isolation.  So far I think the T 5 p is doing that. 

Congratulations on the T5P.  I am enjoying mine immensely as I travel around for a few weeks` winter vacation.  I love listening to them in cafes and restaurants, they isolate so well and sound so clear and detailed. . .
2 of my friends that I`m visiting listened to my portable rig (simply an AK120ii and the T5P on a 1-meter balanced cable) and both thought the phones are active noise-cancelling.  

By the way, did your new T5P come with a metal or plastic 3.5mm plug ? 

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,640 of 1,963
Congratulations. T5p has a signature that is especially unique (plenty of sweet midrange) as you can probably hear since you have many other top models. I found people either enjoy it very much, or it doesn't interest them as they are looking for something else. Musical is the T5p, like an instrument, a mediocre violin or whatever. Not the best technical specs but a whole lot of fun in it's own way.

I've landed on T5p and never found myself looking for something "better". Get into the T5p as best you can, enjoy it from any headphone out like the cheap crap and you'll hear just how musical it is. It'll take that crap and work it's magic unlike any other.

Best deal is enjoy it and come back to it.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,641 of 1,963
  Congratulations. T5p has a signature that is especially unique (plenty of sweet midrange) as you can probably hear since you have many other top models. I found people either enjoy it very much, or it doesn't interest them as they are looking for something else. Musical is the T5p, like an instrument, a mediocre violin or whatever. Not the best technical specs but a whole lot of fun in it's own way.

I've landed on T5p and never found myself looking for something "better". Get into the T5p as best you can, enjoy it from any headphone out like the cheap crap and you'll hear just how musical it is. It'll take that crap and work it's magic unlike any other.

Best deal is enjoy it and come back to it.

Listening to them right now as I peruse head-fi,org.  Late last night bought myself the Beyerdynamic A-200 p matchbox-sized DAC and amp to augment my T 5 p.  Don't really need it, as I have the Sony PHA-1 which does the same thing (though with a higher 10 ohm output impedance rather than the 1.1 ohms of the A-200), but the Sony PHA-1, constructed like a tank, is the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,642 of 1,963

Congratulations on the T5P.  I am enjoying mine immensely as I travel around for a few weeks` winter vacation.  I love listening to them in cafes and restaurants, they isolate so well and sound so clear and detailed. . .
2 of my friends that I`m visiting listened to my portable rig (simply an AK120ii and the T5P on a 1-meter balanced cable) and both thought the phones are active noise-cancelling.  

By the way, did your new T5P come with a metal or plastic 3.5mm plug ? 

It came with a metal plug... didn't notice that extra touch till your question made me look! That black knurled housing is metal.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,643 of 1,963

It came with a metal plug... didn't notice that extra touch till your question made me look! That black knurled housing is metal.

That's the same as mine (Neutrik Rean plug).  I opened the connector and it looks like there is adequate strain relief but I get spooked by all the cable-failure stories floating around.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,645 of 1,963
My understanding is that the cable associated with that metal plug has a reliability problem, which was recently addressed by the switch to the plastic version.  Mine was metal, and totally defective.  Even after chopping it shorter and re-terminating it to 2.5 TRRS, it failed again with a few hours of listening. The shop that was doing the work tested all the soldering, on the 2.5 plug and at both drivers: all good.  So it actually was failing somewhere else, somewhere along its length - very strange..  I completely re-cabled them at that point, with a meter of Oyaide SPC.   

I also demo`d about 10 different used T5Ps before I chose mine, and all of them except one had that same metal plug and all of them seemed to have no issues at all, so I wouldn`t worry about it now.  However if at some point one side crackles or cuts out, you`ll know where to look first . . .

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,646 of 1,963
Thanks... isn't crackling yet... had it for all of 30 hours!  Listening right now.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,648 of 1,963
  Could somebody illustrate the correct polarity of the solder connections to the driver?

(Image below from Zynsonix):  The bare wire (on the right terminal) is the ground.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,650 of 1,963
Worked perfectly. I installed a Toxic Silver Poison I bought and put in a draw for a few years and finally decided to test my crude skills soldering it in hopefully without destroying everything in the process. I managed a solid installation that doesn't look remotely professional with the shrink tube on the plug end. The Silver Toxic fits perfectly into the stock cup entry nozzle, only needed to set up a stress relief. Soldering was a breeze to the driver terminals. Safe and functional.

Fantastic! The dynamic range is significantly bigger, that is what I noticed immediately. 

Stock is still fine, if you have a spare silver strand lying about have a crack at installing, it's worthwhile.

I love these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back