BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,516 of 1,864
I'm not sure what you mean by "matched by manual inspection" but I don't see how you can accurately match two drivers without using equipment to measure them. Those drivers would hardly be matched at all so I stand by my last post-- it would be obvious both in listening tests and in measurements that the drivers were not matched.

AFAIK every legitimate headphone company (i.e. all the big names that are popular here on head-fi) match drivers in all but maybe their cheapest models. That's why when you send in your headphones for service because of a bad driver they replace both. Beyer does that even with their $199 COP so I highly doubt that they would have unmatched drivers in their higher end models.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,517 of 1,864
Yeah that's what I mean by hand-matched; having a person pair up drivers by hand based on measurements done by machine, rather than not using any machines at all or hoping that the production line spits out pairs of drivers that are reasonably matched.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,518 of 1,864
theres still driver matching issues with top headphones though.

i know the beyerdynamic T1 has had issues with it in the past, as well as HiFiman

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #1,520 of 1,864
The DT 990 Pro - excellent headphones - with the right synergy .. they are true beasts!! 

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,521 of 1,864
Quote:
theres still driver matching issues with top headphones though.

i know the beyerdynamic T1 has had issues with it in the past, as well as HiFiman

Are you sure? I don't think its driver matching that's the issue but variance between multiple headphones of the same model.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,522 of 1,864
Is the issue variance between different headphones or imaging within individual headphones? If the imaging is messed up, it's a driver matching issue. If different headphones of the same model sound different, it's more of a QC issue.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,523 of 1,864
By hand-matched I meant pairing the drivers by hand using instruments to measure compatibility, not matched using just manual inspection. Like what Sennheiser does for their higher end models. I think there was a rumor floating around that the Manufaktur version of Beyers had matched drivers, but I never saw it substantiated.

I'm almost certain that Manufaktur deals solely with the cosmetics (colors, headband material, etc.) and nothing more. Of course, I could be wrong, which is why I'm almost certain. :)

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,524 of 1,864
Quote:
Is the issue variance between different headphones or imaging within individual headphones? If the imaging is messed up, it's a driver matching issue. If different headphones of the same model sound different, it's more of a QC issue.

not sure, it was on the T1 thread or some other thread a while back. there was some mention of it along with a graph or 2.

i think it was something where the driver matching wasn't consistent between T1s, some of them werent well matched and sounded thin and harsh, some a little muddier, and some where "good pairs" and where sweet and well balanced

im sure i got a good pair though 
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,525 of 1,864
Quote:

not sure, it was on the T1 thread or some other thread a while back. there was some mention of it along with a graph or 2.

i think it was something where the driver matching wasn't consistent between T1s, some of them werent well matched and sounded thin and harsh, some a little muddier, and some where "good pairs" and where sweet and well balanced

im sure i got a good pair though 
tongue.gif

Yeah that's not a driver matching problem that's just driver variance and inconsistency between multiple T1s. Driver matching refers to the two drivers in a single headphone. Regardless of the inconsistencies between T1s, a single T1 will still have two properly matched drivers.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,528 of 1,864
Just got my Beyerdynamic dt990 (250 ohm) as my first high end headphone and I was wondering if the Aune T1 would be enough to drive these headphones.

Short comparison between Aune T1's ss amp and Objective 2 with DT880 & DT990s, both 600 ohms. Aune T1 has an Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe tube installed. On the Aune T1, I had the amp set on the +10 db gain setting. At 0 gain, I'm @ 90-95% on the dial to get to a normal listening level. I can max it and still listen w/o it being overbearingly loud. The Objective2 is connected via Aune T1's line out, I volume matched both by ear & cell phone sound meter ( I know, it's not super accurate. :p). With that said, I wouldn't recommend running the 600ohm line from just the T1's amp portion. Both cans sounded thin and lifeless. On certain tracks, I found the DT880s too bright, to the point of sibilant. It was definitely sibilant on the DT990 and with way more tracks. Same tracks on the O2, they just sparkle with the 880s, even the 990s altho it does get rather hot at times no matter what I do. They're livelier and fuller sounding on the O2. And again, this is only what I've found with the 600ohm line. Could be very different on the 250s and down since the OP of the Aune T1 has tried the DT880/250 and loved it.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,530 of 1,864
Beyer T5p owner with buckets of love checking in here. Don't think these get anywhere remotely close to the level of respect they should around here, given the unbelievable sound they produce. I listen to them every single night as I go to sleep, and I don't even listen to my LCD-2s that much (although I love them too). I've decided that I'm going to try the T1 at some point solely because the T5p has been as good as is has. 

SlayerDynamics FTW. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back