BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jan 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,459 of 1,864
Quote:
I bought them on Amazon, and yes, it's not the musi- Ok, this is weird, now they sound equally in both sides, I think it fixed itself..

Hopefully they keep on working for you. If they start going back and forth between "fixed" and "not fixed" I'd definitely return them. I've personally never encountered or heard of a headphone with a temporary imbalance that suddenly corrected itself.

There's one other possibility. How noticeable was the difference? I mean, was it a ridiculous deficit on the one side? Or was it just noticeable enough to put everything off center. Something I never knew about myself until I tried a headphone with a relatively wide soundstage is that I actually have a hearing imbalance, with a noticeable bias toward the left. I confirmed this was my hearing and not the headphone by turning them around so the left channel was on my right ear, and vice versa--the left was still louder. It's noticeable to differing degrees depending on what song I'm listening to, sometimes seeming to almost disappear.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,460 of 1,864
Quote:

Hopefully they keep on working for you. If they start going back and forth between "fixed" and "not fixed" I'd definitely return them. I've personally never encountered or heard of a headphone with a temporary imbalance that suddenly corrected itself.

There's one other possibility. How noticeable was the difference? I mean, was it a ridiculous deficit on the one side? Or was it just noticeable enough to put everything off center. Something I never knew about myself until I tried a headphone with a relatively wide soundstage is that I actually have a hearing imbalance, with a noticeable bias toward the left. I confirmed this was my hearing and not the headphone by turning them around so the left channel was on my right ear, and vice versa--the left was still louder. It's noticeable to differing degrees depending on what song I'm listening to, sometimes seeming to almost disappear.

It was a small difference, 3 or 4 points of volume in the Windows default mixer. And I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the problem because I've tested hearing them turned around. Anyways, now I find they are sounding well, so I hope the problem is fixed.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,461 of 1,864
Quote:
Got my DT880 250 ohm from Amazon! Too bad they sent the Pro instead of the Premium version. I'm probably going to send it back because the clamp is a tad too strong for me.

Just got mine too from Amazon last week. I have the DT 770 80ohms before these and love them even more. Though the semi open are getting some use to vs the closed. I was about to buy the Pros too then I saw that the Premiums were better fitted for me including the straight cable instead of the coiled...yuck.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,462 of 1,864
The straight cable has its share of annoyance as well (mainly the length of it). Thankfully it's a good cable (ergonomically, at least--I'm not getting the cable debate started again) in that it has minimal memory character and is nice and supple. It's also fairly strong, as I've yanked it a fair few times by accident and it's survived.

Coiled cables aren't intrinsically evil. The one on my SRH440 is what I would consider a coiled cable done right. There's a straight section coming right out of the cup before the coil starts, but otherwise it's a tight and flexible coil that gets you where you need to go without pulling unduly on the cup. And, in the over two years I've owned my set it hasn't tangled once. Since it's detachable, I could theoretically buy a straight cable for it any time I want, but I've never felt the need. Too bad the DT880 doesn't come with a detachable cable.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #1,463 of 1,864
Lolz..i respect ur opinion ofcourse..and ur right.. most mid end phones (dt880, hd650, he400, and so on) are probably enough for most of the headfi'ers. and i am also not the youngest..i am 46 years young..so my ears are probably a bit different also then the new dogs here..to explain my long post a bit..it all came to this: no matter what ur budget is, what ur preference is, what ur physical state is and even how u stand in life emotionally..the phone u owe or wanna buy must give u that little special world in which u can loose urself in..make u close ur eyes and just forget all whats around u..thats what matters..no matter being a 250 usd beyer a 699 hifiman or a +1000 audeze...but as u also state..spending sensible could give u that extra.
and my apologies if i am a bit to talkative..am just a bit passionate when i believe in something..but i always respect other opinions..all the best! And happy new year.

Sorry if I'm trolling a bit, but if you're in your 40s and feel the need to type lolz and ur and u and wanna all you are saying is totally lost on many readers. Which is sad because:

You are very correct in what you're actually wanting to say, but really man, just use proper english. You sound like a 15 year old with his new beatz arz teh dope shizzle dogs posts.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,464 of 1,864
Quote:
Sorry if I'm trolling a bit, but if you're in your 40s and feel the need to type lolz and ur and u and wanna all you are saying is totally lost on many readers. Which is sad because:

You are very correct in what you're actually wanting to say, but really man, just use proper english. You sound like a 15 year old with his new beatz arz teh dope shizzle dogs posts.

This is kind of what I was trying to say in an earlier post. hifimanrookie is one of my favourite posters and what he has to say is really useful, but his manner of saying it is kind of impenetrable. Sometimes reading his longer posts I've had to give up as it's too much work sorting out the texting language.

Please don't take offence, hifimanrookie. If no one actually wanted to read what tyou have to say, they wouldn't care how you said it. It's because we do want to know what you have to say that we're asking to have it made clearer.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #1,465 of 1,864
Quote:
I've had DT880 250 ohms with the magni/modi for a few days now. The treble is just too much. I listen to a lot of female singers and rather than sounding pleasant they are grating. Is this possible to fix with EQ (never messed with it) or get another amp?

It's very easy to EQ it, both the DT 990 and DT 880 are some of the easiest headphones to EQ. Just crank the 8khz bar down(on a 10 band eq) and problem solved. The problem is more than just the headphones being bright. The other culprit is bright recording and poor mastering(Loudness wars) on modern music. On well recorded and mastered music, they are not harsh in any way. Also the DT 880s may not simply be for you.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,466 of 1,864
Guys..i just found a deep hidden sound secret about beyers.. :D

As u guys know i owe a Mmx300 for my gaming and i love it very much listening to music through his own usb amp connected to my pc by usb...but..anD now it happens guys :wink:

By accident i wanted to try my hm602 as usb dac on my pc....and i had to test it with my beyers as my he500 only has 6,3mm connector .and OMG..the sound, the air, the soundstage.the bass...it was as if i was listening to a phone 2 classes higher..it sounded lush and mids were good..higs were less agressive...maybe its because the hm602 has a warm analog sounding signature..but wow..it blew me away how good that pair sounded..
Maybe a tip for the other beyers? I wanted to share this with u guys :D

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,467 of 1,864
I've been using my Dt770/80 Pros with my iPhone 5 and Fiio E6 amp and that is the only set up I ever used with them. I don't know why it took me so long to do this, but I just plugged them into my Astro MixAmp that is connected to my Dell XPS 8300 that comes with the THX 7.1 sound card standard and......it sounds amazing. The sound stage is so much wider, the bass is so much more controlled, the highs are so crisp, and....gosh I have to upgrade from this E6. I had no idea what I was missing until now. These headphones have so much more potential than I ever thought the could have at the price point they're at. Gosh. I think my next purchase is going to be the E11. I've read some good things about it. UNLESS someone in this thread can recommend me something that is around the same price and portability as the E11 that is a good pair for my DT770's :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,468 of 1,864
I have an E11 and it's a great little amp, just powers my DT880 Pro's but will drive my 'Sones quite well.
My E17 powers the DT880's better and when my E09K arrives, all will be good.
biggrin.gif

As far as portable goes, this C&C BH Portable amp has been getting high praise lately, you might want to look into it.
EBay Link $100 & Free Shipping
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #1,469 of 1,864
Quote:
The problem is more than just the headphones being bright. The other culprit is bright recording and poor mastering(Loudness wars) on modern music. On well recorded and mastered music, they are not harsh in any way. Also the DT 880s may not simply be for you.

Don't know about modern music, but I listen to classical exclusively and you're right--the 880s are not harsh at all. Yes, there's that treble peak but as you say it's very easy to EQ out even with a normal tone control. The actual quality of the treble is as good as it gets probably up to Stax level once one gets the quantity right. I think people confuse the two things.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,470 of 1,864
Quote:

Don't know about modern music, but I listen to classical exclusively and you're right--the 880s are not harsh at all. Yes, there's that treble peak but as you say it's very easy to EQ out even with a normal tone control. The actual quality of the treble is as good as it gets probably up to Stax level once one gets the quantity right. I think people confuse the two things.

I listen to all genre's ranging from electronic, pop, classical, rock, metal, country, etc and I tested numerous newer songs verses older ones(early 90s and earlier), the newer songs(00s and beyond) as a whole have less range, more compressed, and are simply brighter and harsher sounding. This doesn't apply to all modern music of course, some of the new stuff is very well done and don't have a tinge of harshness. I personally own the DT 990s, which are more trebly than the DT 880s and thus even more fussy with harsh recordings, it's especially harsh on voices on bad recordings. I think the quality of the treble on both the DT 880 and DT 990 is excellent like you said, but they are not forgiving headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back