BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,321 of 1,864
Quote:
Hey guys! So I have a great story to share regarding my beloved DT770 Premium 600 ohms. Like a complete and utter idiot I took a vacuum cleaner hose to the right driver/cup. :frowning2: That's right. Obviously I know using a vacuum on a driver is really, really stupid but somehow I had a brain fart. I was trying to get all the hairs out of the right side pad & cup and the vacuum was sitting there so I tried it. As soon as I put the tube of the vacuum against the pad covering the driver I knew I was making a huge mistake. Sure enough, when I put the 770s back on, the right channel was barely making any sound and when it did it was crackling like mad. Boy it sounded terrible. 'There goes $250 and a great pair of headphones that are discontinued...' I thought. I set them down and went to go let my dog back inside (his endless shedding being the hair problem that started this all). When I came back upstairs and put the 770s back on I was shocked to hear them now have full sound in the right channel but it was still crackling quite bad. So I fired up some 30hz and 50hz test tones (from this site) and sure enough volume was now perfectly balanced between the channels but there was still crackling in the right side. I was absolutely blown away while I sat there listening to monotonous test tones and hearing what sounded like the 770 slowly unwrinkling its own driver cone. The rattles and crackles got faster and duller until, just a couple of minutes later, they were gone. I was absolutely stunned, I must say. The sound was 100% back to normal. I've been listening to these all day today and yesterday and they are indeed 'fixed'. Somehow my completely idiotic move that should have destroyed these headphones was magically undone by the headphones themselves. Phewwwww. I will never get a vacuum cleaner hose anywhere near my drivers ever again. All I can think is that Beyer obviously used some good materials in these drivers that allowed them to go completely inside out, for the most part, and then work themselves back to the right position without tearing or ruining the sound quality. Amazing.

That's the power of German engineering (or dumb luck!)

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,323 of 1,864
Quote:

oh yeah, they kick ass :wink:  
simple as that..

+1 :wink: Bass is absolutely great on these, very present, detailed, fast and punchy. The treble does show some sibliance with 20-30% of my songs but the rest is perfectly fine. Acoustic & electric guitars sound great as does electronic music or even hip hop. Plenty of bass for these genres. I noticed that mostly female vocals seem to trigger the sibliance while male vocals don't get into that peaky range often or at all.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,324 of 1,864
Quote:
I got my DT990 (600ohm) in the mail today! I'm using the headphone amp on my HT Omega card set to 600ohm to drive them (replacing this  card with Xonar ST very soon) and I can't tell if it's driving them well enough.

If an album isn't really loud, @ 100% volume in windows it isn't loud enough for me. It seems like in itunes I can turn up the EQ a bit to amp it further...this oddly doesn't seem to introduce distortion if I don't go too far and makes it much more acceptable (I'd love to know if anyone else has tried this)

As for the headphone itself, it will take me time to settle in with it. It's really interesting and I like what it does with bass and treble, but it seems like it's being held back by volume some how. I owned Denon D2000's for two years (a year back) and obviously these aren't going to be like them, but i'm totally not used to open headphones, i'm hoping someone can help me out here as i'm not sure if I can tweak these cans to sound like I want them to, or if it's just the nature of open headphones.

I wouldn't use the DT990 250 ohms without an amp let alone the 600 ohms! You greatly run the risk of underdriving them and damaging the drivers! Seriously, do not use them until you have at the very least a high gain CMOY. Especially don't us the EQ as an "amp", you should only attenuate with an EQ.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,326 of 1,864
Quote:

+1 :wink: Bass is absolutely great on these, very present, detailed, fast and punchy. The treble does show some sibliance with 20-30% of my songs but the rest is perfectly fine. Acoustic & electric guitars sound great as does electronic music or even hip hop. Plenty of bass for these genres. I noticed that mostly female vocals seem to trigger the sibliance while male vocals don't get into that peaky range often or at all.

Absolutely great as in similar to the dt990 600ohm? I'm guessing yes. It is great bass, but never found it very punchy. Kick drums are a damn hard thing to get right and my 990 could just barely do it with the volume blasted. sound was no issue though.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,327 of 1,864
hey guys

so here's the thing-
i had high notes problem with the sennheiser hd25. was a too sharp and bright for me...

i have been recommended to buy the dt770 with an e11 amp. are those headphones as bright as the hd25 or they will be fine for me?

i listen to pop and rock music with my ipod touch.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,330 of 1,864
The HD25-1 II are bright ???

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,333 of 1,864
what forward means? 
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,334 of 1,864
U know whats funny...at this moment i am a hifiman man having a excellent he500..but i also have a mmx300 of beyerdynamic...the weird thing is that the mmx sound laidback and a bit dark with nice wide soundstage..bass is okay..but i always use it with the included usb amp..when i listen to music on my lappie the sound us quite good....its certainly tuned differently then the other over ear phones of their brand..i actually preferred it over my own he300 and with gaming over my now sold he400..but then again..maybe its because of the little usb amp of the beyer..:D..so when i hear that the beyers are bright..i scratch my head and ask myself..am i only one who doesnt think that way..or am i the only one having a mmx300? :D

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,335 of 1,864
I hereby would like to apply for membership in the Beyer lovers club.

After playing for a long time with various HRTF plug-ins for binaural listening to 5.1 surround material, I finally got an offer I couldn't resist for one of the last Headzone Pro (non-XT) units around. Bought it mostly for outside recordings of industrial soundscapes, so my first necessity was a closed set of headphones. There was a DT770 Pro HT that came with it and covers this situation. I also had the option of buying a DT880 Pro HT together with the rest in a package deal. So I went for the full job and boy am I glad I did.

So, over the last four weeks since I've got my new toys, my trusted old AKG K240 (well over 35 years, the very first 600 ohm version ever to be produced) and my long-loved ATH-M50 haven't seen much use. The Denon HT500 DJ cans are gathering dust. The Beyers beat them all, hands down. And I'm not only using them for the surround stuff but also for all my normal music listening.

As to the difference between the 770 and the 880, the case is clear. The 770 is used when it's absolutely necessary and the 880 gets to do the rest. As in: I only take it off when I have a shower or go to sleep. :)

I'm well and truly over the moon with the 880. Now, to be honest I've always preferred open headphones. Mostly because the don't make all those stupid noises when they're rubbing against the sides of my glasses or when I move my head. The 770 certainly has much less of a problem with that than the K271 I've tried a while ago but it's still strong enough to bother me. So the 880 it is... 

BTW, the headphone amp in the Headzone main unit appears to be of very decent quality. Given that I paid less than the price of their A1 headphone amp for the Headzone and both cans, I'm a really happy camper now.

Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back