BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jan 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #827 of 1,864
Since receiving my dt880s I am now a beyerdynamic fan.

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #828 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by No life /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought a pair of DT880s off ebay and I'm not sure what the impedance level is. Unfortunately, the seller wasn't able to clearly tell me what the level was so I'm kind of in a fog. They look like the ones on Headroom. Does that automatically mean their 250ohm? If not, any way to confirm?

I don't know if it is just on Manufaktur version but my DT880 32 ohm has it written on the cable.

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #829 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know a way to open a DT770-80? 3 days after I got it, there's something loose inside...like a piece of tab or metal? But it gets annoying if I move.
It's on the right side.

Take the pads off first, and then gently pry open the plastic ring that holds the foam and driver in place. Then again VERY gently and carefully pry the driver out, and then remove whatever is loose. I have done this several times with various Beyers for various reasons - it's not hard, just be slow and careful.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #830 of 1,864
Yeah, the difference in the sound is substantial. The DT880/990 Pads have more air holes in the black foam (and i think that they have a different material in them vs the DT770pros); which makes the sound airier/spacious/more forward vs the DT770 pads, which make the bass more boomy/thick (as obviously more as a subwoofer...)...
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, do the pads really make a difference? Well, I did notice that the pads on my DT880s are a bit thicker than on my 770 Pros...

Agreed, hehe...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take the pads off first, and then gently pry open the plastic ring that holds the foam and driver in place. Then again VERY gently and carefully pry the driver out, and then remove whatever is loose. I have done this several times with various Beyers for various reasons - it's not hard, just be slow and careful.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #831 of 1,864
This might be obvious, but placement makes a huge difference for the sound I noticed recently. I have used my 2005 990s for a long time now and suddenly their treble was just unbearable no matter what I listened to. Turns out that when I changed the placement so that they were one notch on each side further down they sounded just like I remembered and everything was great again. I had lent them to my brother so he had changed the setting.

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #832 of 1,864
GREAT!!!!

does this mean the DT770 pads from headroom will change the sound on the DT990s?

i really would like to avoid buying from beyer site... too expensive... and that still doesnt include shipping
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #833 of 1,864
My 770s sounded great right out of the box, but they sound even better now! The bass has gotten tighter, the soundstage has opened up, and there is more "air" between instruments.

For the first time, I am starting to believe in the concept of "burn-in"!

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #834 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GREAT!!!!

does this mean the DT770 pads from headroom will change the sound on the DT990s?

Yes, it does. The 770 pads are designed for closed headphones, and will change the sound of 990's. I use only 880/990 pads on my 990's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 770s sounded great right out of the box, but they sound even better now! The bass has gotten tighter, the soundstage has opened up, and there is more "air" between instruments.

For the first time, I am starting to believe in the concept of "burn-in"!

Yep, it is very real for the 770's!

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #835 of 1,864
OK, can newbie here. I've got a pair of DT770 250 ohms from ebay for $99, only 1 week old. Unfortunately, it's still in transit, hence every waking moment has been spent on this forum site.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some background on my current stereo setup.

Rotel 1070 stereo pre amp with headphone out
Ah! Njoeb Tube CD player (Marantz 4000) with headphone out
Antique Sound Lab AV-25 monoblocks
iPod on a dock
Pro-jekt TT with OM10 cart
Von Schwiekert VR-1 speakers.

I have a wide range of musical taste, except for country. On this system, I mostly listen to jazz (LPs), neo soul, latin music (Rodrigo y Gabriela) and acoustic/live (Jake Shimabukuro and Julia Fordham).

I LOVE the sound of my system, especially with the music listed above. Great, wide sound stage with that warm tube sound. I don't use this setup for heavy bass music. I do have a spare Sophia Baby amp which I will try to use w/ the DT770's, I just got my 10W 10 ohms yesterday. Now I have to find a headphone extension cable to cannibalize. If this goes badly, I will be on the search for a tube amp to go w/ the 770's.

I tried my Super.fi EB5's with both headphone outs and it didn't sound great. FMU, those super.fi's don't do well w/ amplification.

I've never listened to Beyer's so I'm anxious to start. I read that there're differences between the DT770's and DT880's in terms of sound. What would those be? I tried to comb this particular thread but didn't seen anything obvious, other than the 770's are perceived to have a bit of bass.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #836 of 1,864
Jan 9, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #838 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look like the leather Manufaktur replacement pads for the 990's which are suppose to be a different size than the 770's/880's

Headroom has the 700 replacement pads

Thanks for your thoughts.
As far as I know, the DT770/880/990 earcups have the same diameter.
These pads will not fit them.
I know where to buy DT770 pads. But I really would like to know which BeyerDynamic headphone these pads would fit.
They have no use for me, so I want to sell them (for cheap). But before I can do that, I have to know for which model these pads are.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #839 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know where to buy DT770 pads. But I really would like to know which BeyerDynamic headphone these pads would fit.
They have no use for me, so I want to sell them (for cheap). But before I can do that, I have to know for which model these pads are.

Well, I can narrow it for you a bit - they are NOT for the DT-250. Not the perfect answer but helps a bit, no?
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #840 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At Headroom, They specifically say that the 700 pads are NOT the same as the 880's or 990's even though the diameter may seem to be the same

beyerdynamic DT770 Cushions @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back