BeyerDynamic owners unite...
May 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #646 of 1,864
There are some subtle differences between the 32 ohm and 250 ohm versions. I only heard 32 and 250 ohm DT770's, and they were very similar. The 600 ohm versions sound best IMO, but that really isn't applicable for you. Unfortunately, both the 32 ohm and 600 ohm versions are really hard to get, as you have seen.

Further, the 32 ohm cans still sound much better amped. It would be a better use of funds to just get the 250 ohm versions and get a nice little portable amp. The DT880's aren't portable headphones, so I can't imagine a small little amp would be a problem...

May 9, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #647 of 1,864
So you suggest instead of getting a 32ohm 880, I should get a regular 250ohm and a portable amp?

I am beginning to think that I've made the wrong decision, and am going to have to go back and find another model instead. I am planning on primarily using these headphones for portable use.

May 9, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #648 of 1,864
Well, I just bought a Dt880 2005 a few minutes ago so I guess I can officially post here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really wanted the 2003 version, but I looked for weeks and I couldn't find anything. I've read that the two are different and my preference was toward the older version after reading several threads, but I got a pretty good deal on a slightly used 2005 pair. Hopefully the bass on these isn't nearly as excessive as my DT770's, or even as much as many people claim here. I do like the sound of the DT770's, but them being closed and the bass being monstrous turns me off. Can't wait to see how they compare to my HD580's

May 9, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #649 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any experience with Zobel networks? It is said to "tame" those peaks.

Yeah - but one thought first - how about using something like a berhinger digital eg to precisely control the curve in the digital domain?

May 10, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #650 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the DT48 A.00? Those appear to be the correct earcups and Beyer's site says that the drivers are color coded, except their picture is in black and white! And the A.00 really is a 5 ohm can.

Anyhow, welcome to the very, very exclusive DT48 club! Please tell us more about how the A.00 sounds. Any impressions and details would be greatly appreciated.

And it's funny, since my 25 ohm DT48 pair arrived today. I've been listening to a 200 ohm pair for a few weeks, but the 25 ohm is equally stunning. I've only been listening for a few hours, but I love them. Did a quick comparison to the DT880 and the K-701. The DT48 has it all over them in detail and natural sound.

Especially detail. I was spinning Bill Evans' "Waltz For Debby" on SACD through the Zana into the 25 ohm DT48s. That's a live recording and there's background noise from the crowd. On the other headphones, the background noise sounds like background noise. On the DT48, you can hear the conversations. Really. Just remarkable. And they're dead-nuts accurate tonally. The DT48 is grossly underappreciated around here.

Couple of quick questions:

How is the bass - is it close to the 501? or a little more or less. I can deal with the 501s bass but probably wouldn't want much less than that.

And how about the isolation? Is it like the 271 or maybe an HD-25?

Thanks!

May 10, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #651 of 1,864
I R BeyerBoy! My DT770 80 pros just got in on Wednesday! Very Niceee! I learned what people meant when they said that the headphones don't make bass when there isn't suppose to be any. Im going to have to start remastering some of my library
biggrin.gif
!

May 10, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #652 of 1,864
I auditioned the DT880, with the amp at the shop, I find the low and high more prominent than the midrange. Is there an amp or cable that would correct this? Or should I look elsewhere?

May 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #653 of 1,864
Guys I'm back with another question:

I was looking at the 770 80 pro's but was unsure about how well a portable device would drive these things without a headphone amp. Is an 80 ohm impedance too much for a portable device (ipod or discman) or will it do okay? I don't listen too loudly.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #654 of 1,864
It will work, but the bass will be bloated and boomy and muddy and take over the rest of the sound. They're much better amped.

I'm loving my 600 ohm DT770s. =D Getting them recabled/woodied over the next month or so, so be ready for pics.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #655 of 1,864
Okay - i just got a pair of the Beyer DT 48.

It's not the E version or the A00 version according to Beyer - i sent photos and they couldn't identify it. It's a black casing (not red and blue) and is 8 ohms and has the name "Beyer Dynamic" in art deco script.

First up. They are built like a tank as in not even in the same league as anything else I have ever seen. Bullet-proof is no joke.

Second, they have almost no bass. It's less than the AKG 501 for sure, probably slightly less than the bass-light 501/500.

Third, their midrange, and highs, are by far the best I have ever heard - as in not even close to anything. Simply unreal. The make the AKG 501s seem bloated, sluggish and veiled. It's not just a matter of frequency balance or speed. The actually reveal things on recordings that I can't hear with an AKG 501 or a Beyer 880 05.

Since they are 8 ohms they hum with most amps - using an impedence adapter removes the hum but lightens the bass further.

On one hand, they are almost unlistenable to me - on the other hand, they make everything else I've ever heard sound like a cheap kaleidescope of coloration, ironically making everything unlistenable to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tottiflames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newly joined Team Beyer~!
I have no love to DT990, but the DT48a stunned me!

20_112521_311bd8efb1e447b.jpg

20_112521_844135d733f6729.jpg

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #656 of 1,864
I've yust received my pair of dt-990pros, i was astonished by the build quality of those cans, they are sturdy as they were carved in stone, all steel headband, solid plastic cups, beautiful velour pads.

Sound quality-wise i've tried them unamped - so those are just first impressions - and compared them with my ms1, obviously they offer a completely different sound signature, emphasis on highs and bass, slightly recessed mids, thus making especially vocals a bit thin , depending on the vocal range, hgh pitched or female vocals sound awesome for example...
Here comes the point where "different sound signature" becomes a "worse sound signature " , i am very sensitive to low frequencies, i hate bass, but i can stand sounds that others may consider sibilant and harsh ( i love my ms1
biggrin.gif
), so i found that -to my ears- some genres are completely unlistenable on the 990, i tried listening to some Death metal and i heared only double bass drums overpowering everything else, Nile's "Annihilation of the wicked" was unbearable unless at ridiculously low volume levels...before purchasing the 990s i read lot of reviews which described those cans as not suited for some genres, and in my opinion they are true, i would not recomment those phones to anyone who is into Extreme metal...but they might as well suffer from the lack of amplification, those are just some impressions i wanted to share with you...

Summing it up i am quite satisfied with my purchase, because - knowing the flaws of the 990s - i needed a pair of phones for my vinyl rig where i listen mostly to prog/hard rock, genres which can be handled well by the 990s, on par with, if not better than my ms1...but i'll wait an amp for more in depth analisys. After trying a different sound... i had the ultimate proof that my ears are better suited for a grado sound, i made my father try the 990s and he didn't find them bass heavy at all...what matters is everyone's hearing, there's very little objective in reviewing phones..

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #658 of 1,864
I got to check out a DT770-80Ohm Pro version in real life at my local guitar center shop. Oh man, it looks "a lot" better in real life than in the pictures ppl posted on the webs. It was amazing to look at. Also, the silver or white velour earpads are amazing and super comfortable. I will order either the DT770-80 or the DT880 one in a couple days. I was undecided before because of the look of those Beyerdynamic headhphones that I saw on the web. But for anyone who hasn't seen one in real life, they look way I mean way way better. So hope that help for anyone who wants to buy some.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #660 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by jincuteguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also do u guys know where I can get the DT880 for around $200 new? Most of them are like $250. But if anyone knows where i can get for $200, I would appreciated.

The Lowest I've ever seen them go for was ~$215 on Amazon few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back