BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Aug 6, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #676 of 1,864
Awww man I actually have a tracking number now, these can't get here soon enough, I'm pumped to try out my new cans.
beyersmile.png
I've never spent this much money on headphones ever, this is like 4 to 5 times more than I've ever spent, so this is a big thing for me. No more Walmart specials for me.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #679 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend me a good cheap amp for my DT770 Pro 80's? By cheap I mean $100 and under.

HeadRoom Total Airhead -- $99

If you want to use it as a non-portable desktop amp, also get the $15 optional wall-wart power supply.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #682 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I found it at headphone.com, they also have the power supply. Will this be good enough to push the bass and make the DT770's sound even better?

Yes, with the wall plug -- it made my amp much more powerful than it was with just battery power.
I had two of these amps in the past, and both were like this -- the wall power was better with both amps.
The wall plugs gave clean power, where the battery power would show flashes on the clipping indicator light.
And they drove all my cans just fine.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #683 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, with the wall plug -- it made my amp much more powerful than it was with just battery power.
I had two of these amps in the past, and both were like this -- the wall power was better with both amps.
The wall plugs gave clean power, where the battery power would show flashes on the clipping indicator light.
And they drove all my cans just fine.

Cool, sounds good, thanks for the tip, I'm definately looking into to getting one of those. I don't even have my headphones yet though, but I should be getting them tomorrow or Saturday.
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #684 of 1,864
Best of all -- if the amp does not work as well as you would like, HeadRoom has a very good return policy, so no worries there.

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #685 of 1,864
I am a headphone newbie. Would getting an inexpensive amp like the Total AirHead (with the power supply) help improve the sound quality for non portable sources?

I have the 2005 DT 880's 250 hooked up to a Denon AVR-5700 and I am pretty happy with them (I moved up from Sennheiser HD 545's). I also have the 2005 DT 9900's coming and I will probably use them with a MacPro. The 880's seem to work OK with the Denon and the Mac Pro, but I am no expert.

I have never owned, or even listened to headphones driven by a dedicated "headphone" amp, so I have no reference point. My other issue is that I pretty much blew my budget and can't afford a high end amp. I don't know if I would hear a difference if I used an "affordable" amp. Something like the HeadRoom Desktop amp is way more than I can afford at this time.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #686 of 1,864
Quote:

Best of all -- if the amp does not work as well as you would like, HeadRoom has a very good return policy, so no worries there.

Sweet! I'm sure I'll be satisfied with just the DT 770's for a little while, but after they're broke in I do want to juice them up and I'll definately try the amp you recommended.
redface.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #687 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggilby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a headphone newbie. Would getting an inexpensive amp like the Total AirHead (with the power supply) help improve the sound quality for non portable sources?

Yes -- and it includes selectable crossfeed for you to try, too -- most peeps like the crossfeed after hearing it.

It's on all HeadRoom and Meier amps, and others, too.

And if you don't like it, you can always turn it off.

And, of course, a gain switch -- use high-gain for Beyers.

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #688 of 1,864
Quote:

Yes -- and it includes selectable crossfeed for you to try, too -- most peeps like the crossfeed after hearing it.

Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate your help. I should be getting my phones in either today or tomorrow, and I'll be posting my impressions here immediately. If I never came here, I would've never known about the Beyers.

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #689 of 1,864
Hey all - Proud (longtime) owner of the DT250-80s. My closed can of choice (at least that I can afford) these things have been through hell - but proven quite resilient (even if the right side of the band is held together with crazy glue and duct tape at this point - they still sound great!). Love gaming with these things!

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #690 of 1,864
Quote:

Thanks, I will have to try one out. Any recommendations for the 880's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back