BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Mar 24, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #571 of 1,864
<3 my DT770 Pros

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #572 of 1,864
Hi beyerists, pretty nice spirit you have here
cool.gif

In stefspijk's footsteps, I'm asking which beyer would be best for metal? I love AKG K701 for pretty much everything else. Price is not an issue.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #573 of 1,864
The DT990's are terrific with Metal, IMO.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #576 of 1,864
and for producing housemusic? 770 PRO, 880 or 990? I want a clear, neutral sound, because I'll use it for monitoring. But I still want a good soundstage with rich&full bass/sub, clear mids & highs... which one is the best for my purpose?

can anyone help me with this?
thanks!

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #579 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefspijk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and for producing housemusic? 770 PRO, 880 or 990? I want a clear, neutral sound, because I'll use it for monitoring. But I still want a good soundstage with rich&full bass/sub, clear mids & highs... which one is the best for my purpose?

can anyone help me with this?
thanks!

If open is OK, go with the 990. If you need closed, then you need the 770, of course.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #580 of 1,864
Yes, they sound very good with classical (i had a lot of years without listening this music) with mozart and haendel and others. The extra treble of this headphone, give them life... The same with Anime, Movies, TV, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I'm listening to some Mozart... Who says the DT990 can't do classical? Granted I've never had the opportunity to hear anything else, but I suppose that if people got over the "eww, you got bass in my classical!" they'd appreciate what the headphone can do. Especially when you get the violins rising up out of the orchestra, the extra treble boost really makes them stand out, and adds excitment.

On a side note I've also discovered how important it is to mess with your audio settings if you're using your computer as source. I found Vista benefits from a 24-bit 96KHz output setting if you have a Creative sound card, because for some reason on that setting bit-matched playback becomes much more effective at improving quality.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #581 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If open is OK, go with the 990. If you need closed, then you need the 770, of course.

I thought that the 880's were the most neutral, and therefore good for monitoring my (house music) productions, I read so much positive stories about the 880's....but guess I was wrong!

Why the 770 PRO of course? Don't they have too much bass by themselves? Can you maybe explain the of course part?

I also don't really understand the real difference between open and closed, and what advantages/disavantages it will have for my purpose?
If you had to decide, which one would you pick?

I will connect to headphone to my laptop or external soundcard (M Audio Audiophile Firewire). Is a 250 ohm version good for my equipment, or do I need to get a lower 80 ohm-level?

Thank you so much for helping me!!! I truelly appreciate it!!!

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #582 of 1,864
The "of course" was because the 770's are the only ones that are closed! As to your question, close headphones offer varying degrees of isolation from outside sounds. If that would help your monitoring, then maybe the 770 would be the way to go. For me, a lot of times I need a closed headphone - I either don't want to disturb people around me, or I don't want to hear what's going on around me
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't need some isolation, then yes, the DT880's are slightly more neutral, but they don't have a lot of bass. You didn't ask for the most neutral headphone. You asked for Quote:

a good soundstage with rich&full bass/sub, clear mids & highs

. To me, that's the DT990's.

BUT - your laptop isn't going to be up to driving 250 ohm headphones well at all. Not sure about the M Audio soundcard, but it's doubtful. You will want a headphone amp.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #583 of 1,864
I've always listend music with closed headphones, so I guess I go with the 770's!
But let me ask you this question, if you would produce house music and you need a good monitoring BD headphone, which one would you pick?

Is there a audible difference between the 80 ohm and 250 ohm version? Because if there isn't a difference, I should go with the 80 ohm's, right?

thanks man! your expert advice is crucial for my headphone choice, so I really appreciate that you take the time to help me! :)

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #584 of 1,864
Quote:

But let me ask you this question, if you would produce house music and you need a good monitoring BD headphone, which one would you pick?

Mate, I could never answer that question - I don't know the first thing about producing house music
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Is there a audible difference between the 80 ohm and 250 ohm version? Because if there isn't a difference, I should go with the 80 ohm's, right?

thanks man! your expert advice is crucial for my headphone choice, so I really appreciate that you take the time to help me! :)

The DT770 Pro 80 ohm has lots of bass, and pretty fat bass at that. Warmer, less recessed mids than the 05 version, with softer treble. Really needs to be recabled and otherwise modded to sound great, but OK stock.

The 2005 DT770 (generally 250 ohm, but there are 32 and 600 ohm versions) is the most balanced 770 by far. These are not bass monsters -they have more bass than some headphones, but they sound pretty similar to the 2005 DT990, just closed, although the 990's are better, IMO. Stock, the 05 DT770/250 is a little too bright on top IMO. A recable really improves it a lot.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #585 of 1,864
Another Beyer owner reporting in! (after ~3 month of owning them)

DT770pro is my first hi-fi headphone and is currently the only one, so can't say too much about how they compare to other brands; however they sound quite awesome to my ears and I'm sure I started my journey to quality headphone experience on the right foot.

I have to say it is very, very comfortable to wear; I do not regret purchasing it one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back