BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jan 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #541 of 1,864
i know, the only reason i posted it was that it was so different than any other unamp'd impression that i've heard, which was mostly cold midrange, lack of bass, with no complaints about soundstage, just checking that my ears were ok.

and i assume i dont have to break them in again after the previous owner (though i still didn't expect the bass)

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #542 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know, the only reason i posted it was that it was so different than any other unamp'd impression that i've heard, which was mostly cold midrange, lack of bass, with no complaints about soundstage, just checking that my ears were ok.

and i assume i dont have to break them in again after the previous owner (though i still didn't expect the bass)

Indeed, I must have missed that they were used, they should be broken in
smily_headphones1.gif

You should notice a big improvement amped, though.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #543 of 1,864
yeah, cant wait till jeff rossel sends me those kits, they would probably be here by now if it wasnt for that damn bijou group buy.

anyways, are there any visual differences between 32ohm and 250 ohm? this is only a bit harder to drive than the hd25's

and given there is no information about the sensitvities, of which reportedly the hd25's have quite high and are easy to drive, while the dt880's i've heard are the opposite

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #544 of 1,864
Since the HD25 is 75 ohm, if it's a little harder to drive, it's 250 ohm for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

There are no physical differences that I am aware of.

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #547 of 1,864
Well I was finally able to try both the Beyerdynamic leather pads and gel pads. I may be so used to the sound of the headphones that these changes to the signature bother me, but I really wasn't too crazy about either. The leather pads were the most drastic change, they seemed to darken up the sound far too much, the vocals and high end seemed distant, and there was a noticeable echo (in the vocals) that wasn't present in the recording. Bass quantity was improved to a nice level with the 880, but there was too much for me in the 990. The stock pads are more dry and airy in comparison and seem much more accurate in the portrayal of vocals and have a much more even-handed handling of the frequency range. The gel pads (I have the black ones) take the signature closer to the leather pads, but aren't quite as detrimental imho. I believe they could be used with the 880s in certain situations where you need the bass quantity a little higher and the highs a little more recessed, but I didn't really care for them on the 990s. I was lucky to snag the gel pads on the cheap from Skylab, but the leather pads at $35 + $10 shipping weren't even remotely worth it imho. Do note that the gel pads are somewhat difficult to swap on and off the cans, whereas the stock and leather are quite easy.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #548 of 1,864
how many hour take to burn-in a dt880 pro ?
my beyer sound different then i read .
it have a very heavy bass like a subwoofer , medium mids and hi-fr .
is no sibilant and the sound is more like speakers then a headphone .
it seems more like hd650 then k701 with a wide soundstage .

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #549 of 1,864
Hey HiGHFLYiN9, how different your recabled DT990 sound form the stock, (if you remember) and in what areas it improve??
Thank you
P.S: how much cost you this cable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I was finally able to try both the Beyerdynamic leather pads and gel pads. I may be so used to the sound of the headphones that these changes to the signature bother me, but I really wasn't too crazy about either. The leather pads were the most drastic change, they seemed to darken up the sound far too much, the vocals and high end seemed distant, and there was a noticeable echo (in the vocals) that wasn't present in the recording. Bass quantity was improved to a nice level with the 880, but there was too much for me in the 990. The stock pads are more dry and airy in comparison and seem much more accurate in the portrayal of vocals and have a much more even-handed handling of the frequency range. The gel pads (I have the black ones) take the signature closer to the leather pads, but aren't quite as detrimental imho. I believe they could be used with the 880s in certain situations where you need the bass quantity a little higher and the highs a little more recessed, but I didn't really care for them on the 990s. I was lucky to snag the gel pads on the cheap from Skylab, but the leather pads at $35 + $10 shipping weren't even remotely worth it imho. Do note that the gel pads are somewhat difficult to swap on and off the cans, whereas the stock and leather are quite easy.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #550 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey HiGHFLYiN9, how different your recabled DT990 sound form the stock, (if you remember) and in what areas it improve??
Thank you
P.S: how much cost you this cable?

The Cardas recable doesn't change the signature as much as the earpads do, it's more of a tweak if you are already happy with the sound you are getting but need a warmer top end due to the occasionally fatiguing high frequencies. I also noticed a more coherent lower-midrange. I've always preferred the sound with the cable than without it. I've owned the DT770 '03, DT880 '03, DT990 '03 and now the DT880 '05 and DT990 '05 and all five were switched over to Cardas at some point.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #551 of 1,864
Still feelin' massive love for my DT880 600Ω.
They made me stop looking for a new set of cans. They're exactly what I always looked for in a can, and hence my W5000's have now served as paper weights for the last 6 months or so.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #552 of 1,864
600 ohm Beyers are where it's at!

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #553 of 1,864
Welcome me to the BeyerDynamic club..

Just bought a pair of Green DT880 (250 Ω)2005 last Thursday.
Using it with a 125Ω cable and PINT.

I have tested the DT990 too before purchasing the DT880..
But I prefer the sound of the DT880.(Might be due to the amp(Hornet) I pair it with while testing both headphones or my ears.)

My er4s is in danger of being replaced by DT880 now as my favorite portable headphone.(Anyone used DT880 while using public transports?)

I'm loving it more and more as it gets burn in currently..(80 hours+)

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #554 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still feelin' massive love for my DT880 600Ω.
They made me stop looking for a new set of cans. They're exactly what I always looked for in a can, and hence my W5000's have now served as paper weights for the last 6 months or so.

Interesting post wovenhand. I am trying to save for the W5000's. They are $800 online. I havn't heard them yet, just read some positive posts on this forum. I have the DT880's 05's (250). Would you consider them better, and in what areas? Maybe the W5000's are overpriced?

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #555 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by dle4e_2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome me to the BeyerDynamic club..

Just bought a pair of Green DT880 (250 Ω)2005 last Thursday.
Using it with a 125Ω cable and PINT.

I have tested the DT990 too before purchasing the DT880..
But I prefer the sound of the DT880.(Might be due to the amp(Hornet) I pair it with while testing both headphones or my ears.)

My er4s is in danger of being replaced by DT880 now as my favorite portable headphone.(Anyone used DT880 while using public transports?)

I'm loving it more and more as it gets burn in currently..(80 hours+)

lol
byebye hearing, hello annoyed peers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back