Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #482 of 564
Maybe my problem is I don't listen at loud enough volumes for the amp to provide enough volume to give the beyers their full dynamics.  I keep my mk2 in the lowest gain and the Beyer only around 11 o'clock, and up to 2-3 o'clock if the songs have high dynamic range and need more volume.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #485 of 564
M-Stage should be here today. Hopefully this improves my perception of the DT990. They are fun for electronic music, but I find them terribly lacking in a lot of music with distorted guitar. The slightly recessed mids really take away from the guitar sound on certain recordings. The highs on certain recordings also bring the sloshy semi open hi hat sound a little too far out front. Perhaps I'll just stick to the Q701s for rock/metal and DT990 for electronic. As far as folk, jazz, classical, etc., I have not yet decided.

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #486 of 564
I'm getting a pair of DT990/600, after reading a ton of reviews on amps, I realized that most of the amps were way out my budget. My budget is around 200$ max, and I want something that will do better than an e7/e9 combo. I'm not a DIYer and buying a used product is out the question since I live in Canada and most people won't ship here. Help please ):

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #487 of 564
You can probably find a used M-Stage in that range.

Edit: Woops. Didn't read that you don't want used. Good luck!

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #488 of 564
I now really belive in BURN-IN and this can need serious burn in. Why? I have just gotten myself the 600 ohm version. And the scenario is repeating itself. You know last summer i got the 250 ohm version. I though it sounded reaally good.. until maybe 30-50 hours. Then all suddenly it turned into a harsh sibilance and lean pice of can, and I thought, No no no, now I understand, all this flaming about beeing silbilant and harsh. I was devastated and but couldnt do anymore than just do some extreme EQ-ing... I still wanted to enjoy music. 

And this is were I am know with my 600 version. 
But the after long long time, sure more than 500+ hours, maybe even 1000+, all harshness got away. And my 250 started actually to sound more like a neutral phone. That boomy bass was gone to. I could throw my extreme EQ settings and just leave -2db in the 8khz zone. Cause HDP + DT 990 is by itself a little bright combo. I actually thought it wasnt burn in though, I thought it was my ears that had apdapted to the headphones.
But now, when i have a new pair of 600 this scenario IS repeating itselft. I probably have 100 hours on them now, and they are silbilance as hell. If my ears had apdapted to the 250´s i shouldnt think that my 600 ohm is silbilance and harsh, but now thats the only thing they are. 

Now i only have to wait...

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #489 of 564
I have to agree with the sibilance! My pair of DT990 600 was almost impossible to listen to when running through uDac-2 only (I have a nice amp for at home) but after 6 months with the headphone I can actually enjoy them through that set-up. I'm sure its both a combination of burn-in and my ears getting used to the sound, but the difference is noticeable. I'm just happy I can enjoy my headphones more thoroughly.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #491 of 564
excuse my noob question but the 2005 version = the version you can buy from amazon/retailers atm, right?

The 600ohm version is $329 on amazon right now but I managed to get them on ebay for $228 brand new. I wanted something to compliment my Grado 225i(love 'em!). Not too sure of any past deals, but did I do alright @ $228 for brand new dt 990s 600ohm?

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #495 of 564
Just bought a pair of DT990's on Massdrop. Looking forward to hearing what the 600ohm versions sound like. and $260 was a steal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back