Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #436 of 564
I just sold my 600ohm DT990 (from B&H deal). I thought these would be perfect for me, I am a bass lover so phones like audio technica's and AKG usually give me the poops. When I first received the DT990's I thought they were the best thing I've heard, the bass was spot on, perfect in amount, it went deep and had punch without being sloppy, the mids were again great not recessed nor forward, just right. The let down was the treble for me, it was recessed! I can't deal with recessed treble, nor do I like it to far forward like most AT's and AKG's have it. So I am completely lost as to which headphone is good for me. oh well. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #437 of 564
Are you nuts? The DT990s treble is the polar opposite of recessed. It is easily the most PROMINENT aspect of the sound! Sounds like yours was defective.

There's not many headphones more treble oriented than the 990s... O_O

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #438 of 564

Quote:
Are you nuts? The DT990s treble is the polar opposite of recessed. It is easily the most PROMINENT aspect of the sound! Sounds like yours was defective.

Well I was not at all impressed with the treble, firstly while being recessed it also managed to be sibilant sometimes at the same time which is terrible, secondly the treble does not sound natural at all to me, were a certain cymbal should sound like a "tss" the DT990 manages to make it sound like a "tish". so meh.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #439 of 564

Quote:
Quote:

Well I was not at all impressed with the treble, firstly while being recessed it also managed to be sibilant sometimes at the same time which is terrible, secondly the treble does not sound natural at all to me, were a certain cymbal should sound like a "tss" the DT990 manages to make it sound like a "tish". so meh.

Exactly how long did you let them burn in?  I noticed the DT990's take a little longer to burn in than most headphones.  My M50's (my first headphone) took about 60-70 hours to burn in completely, and I noticed it right away that they were good to go.  The DT990's took until about 150 hours before they started shining and the shrill highs weren't taking over as much.  But I agree with Mad Lust Envy, the treble is really prominent, especially when the headphones are brand new.  I don't see how one could describe them as recessed.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #440 of 564

Quote:

I wouldn't say so.
I picked the 990s over many others simply because I could hear everything in balance.
Some people say they have too much bass, some say too much treble. That's not what I'm hearing.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #441 of 564
I'm looking to get the Beyer DT990/600. I will be using this with the Astro Mixamp. I know that I'm going to need another amp to power these. Would the FiiO E7 be sufficient or should I go straight to the FiiO E9? I'm tempted to get both the E7 + E9 since theres a combo deal for $192 shipped to Canada. But I'm already getting the mixamp so I think getting both would be too excessive. Would the mixamp + E7 be enough to drive the DT990/600?

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #442 of 564
Get the E9. The E7 won't be enough for them with the Mixamp, especially if you plan on using voice chat. Without the power of the E9 or something equivalent or greater, the bass also clips while gaming through the Mixamp.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #444 of 564
I just received my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm, I love the sound and the bass even without the amp.

Many people mentioned the quality is pretty good on this headphone but I found that it's just cheap.  Whole construction of this headphone is just not sturdy.

And another cons is that after listening about 5-10 mins I started to get a headache due to pressure coming from the headband and the ear cups.  I tried to adjust different angles, wear upside down, etc, still a headache.

I don't think I have a big head, an average head :)

The best comfortable headphone that I ever had is Sennheiser PXC450, you can't compare the quality from Sennheiser to Beyerdynamic.

I wonder Beyerdynamic T1 or T5p is at the same level of comfort as DT990 ?

I am returning my can, hurt me so much that I cannot enjoy music.

Any thought ?

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #445 of 564
I found them a little uncomfortable at first, but two things changed:
1) I started wearing them a little bit higher  on my head (credit head-fier paconavarro for suggesting that) and this helped a lot. The ear cups are large enough that there is some wiggle room, and higher rather than lower worked well for me.

2) I just got used to them. I didn't do much extended headphone listening before I got these and so anything on my head seemed unnatural. I work from home so I listen for quite a few hours each day and I find them perfectly comfortable, even though I had concerns about comfort when they were new.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #446 of 564
I think the DT990 is pretty comfortable for me, I can wear it for a long time without feeling anything. You just have to loosen up the clamp, just put it over something pretty wide and leave it there for a while and it should loosen up. It gets pretty warm though, fine for winter, but bad for summer.
tongue_smile.gif
Overall, these will be my headphones for electronica/trance/dance type music.
L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #447 of 564
I was wondering if anyone had tried the DT990 32ohm or 250ohm with the Astro mixamp while also using the voice chat. I was going to get the E9 to power it but if the mixamp is adequate enough for me to use the DT990 with voice chat then I won't have to waste money on the E9

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #449 of 564
I will join this thread as I got my 600 Ohm editions yesterday. My Zero DAC drives them pretty well, btw.

I got these as I thought my Ultrasones don't do too well with Jazz and actually all instruments unless they're distorted or amplified or whatever modern music implies. :wink:

At first the bass was overwhelming to say the least. By the end of the day I could easily enjoy any genre. So far I like the Beyers most with Jazz and female voices. I will see how it goes from here.

May 1, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #450 of 564
I have a hard time appreciating these. I can't stop wondering if the DT880 would have been better or if any Beyer is for me.

- Bass with Hip-Hop/Rap just sounds wrong! It feels like a huge cloud of nothing. Pressure and punch feel great, yet it still feels empty. Bass is fine with instruments (Jazz/Classical), though.
- Voices have a far greater tonality than my Ultrasones (which is why I even considered these for an upgrade), but female voices just don't feel as "right" as with the HJE900s. They seem a little hollow in comparison.
- Highs sound dead, lifeless, empty. No sparkle whatsoever, yet pronounced.
Hi-hats sound awfully wrong with these. They sound like cans.
- Soundstage is nothing special at all! It all plays in my head. I actually prefer S-Logic of the HFI-780 to these.

Asking 300€ is ridiculous.
I will be getting the Beyerdynamic A1 in a few days and I will see if it can change anything - but at what price?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back