Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #541 of 564
Hi fellas! Does anyone experience bass distortion at moderate to high wolume levels? My hd8 dj can go more than double as loud with fiio e12 bass boost on before distorting. Sub bass specificaly distort significantly earlier than mid bass. Yeasterday i was was watching need for speed movie and then one of three ageras explode. Drivers distorting like crazy at that moment because of very deep bass! Dont know how to put that in english it was rattle or distortion. Does any one experience that on your 990?

Check for hair on your drivers?  I once had a hair on a driver in my DT990s and it was a really bad distortion with deep bass especially.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #542 of 564
Check for hair on your drivers?  I once had a hair on a driver in my DT990s and it was a really bad distortion with deep bass especially.
Thanks mate, i try this but dont think this is the problem, because right out of the box it was doing that. Such a shame because few years ago i wanted to buy these, but got hd598 instead. I was afraid to get a pair of dt990 because many people have experienced rattling... And now i have it... what the hell Beyerdynamic ? They must test all the headphones before selling it!

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #543 of 564
I have a pair DT990 premium 250ohms. They work perfectly fun except there would be occasionally rattling sound (I'm not sure about the reason for it). If that happens, I just twist my amp few times and unplug my dac from computer and plug it back in. then there is no problems anymore. this has happened 2 or 3 times maybe but I doesn't really bother me because I don't think it's headphones' problems.
I love my DT990 now, It's a great headphone with unbeatable price.  

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #544 of 564
I have a pair DT990 premium 250ohms. They work perfectly fun except there would be occasionally rattling sound (I'm not sure about the reason for it). If that happens, I just twist my amp few times and unplug my dac from computer and plug it back in. then there is no problems anymore. this has happened 2 or 3 times maybe but I doesn't really bother me because I don't think it's headphones' problems.
I love my DT990 now, It's a great headphone with unbeatable price.  
I have same model and ratlling happens at higher wolumes, there is lot of sub bass. Maybe headphones require more power and basic amp just not cut it...

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #545 of 564
the reason could be that your amp doesn't give enough power to drive 250ohms. I have been using Schiit Magni and modi for a year now. I'm really happen with schiit product. It has incrediable power for big cans. If I ungrade my amp, I will still go for Schiit. I'm using DT990 now, I haven't heard rattling sound for so long, last time the rattling sound happens was couple month ago and I fixed it in a minute.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #549 of 564
Just got a pair of DT990 Edition, and they're not as "bad" as I expected :)

The little extra in the bass region actually sounds quite compelling.

It seems to demand a little more power though, before it lights up.

Just wanted to share my first few impressions
beyersmile.png

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #550 of 564
I got a pair of the "blackout" 600-ohm version from Massdrop.  Stopping by to report they pair very nicely with the DarkVoice 336SE, which loves high-impedance cans and has more than enough juice to drive them (I rarely get the volume knob much past 9 o'clock).  The tubey warmth knocks the edge off the treble.

Source is flac files via Grace m920, fwiw.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #551 of 564
Hey,

I'm looking into stepping my gaming setup. I currently have Sennheiser PC 360 with a Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card. Now the headset is old and starting to cut off and mic is starting to go. (ppl say sounds like a dying cat) 

I'm looking to get the DT 990's Premium 250 ohms with a Blue Yeti mic. This is mainly going to be used for gaming however I would still like a pair of headphones that can play music at a decent quality.

My question is how are the DT 990s with bass? I do like some bass with my music. I know these are open back and won't have crazy boomy bass, but can these cans still put out some bass?

Also will my current sound card Sound Blaster Z will I need anything else to get the full potential of these headphones? 

Thanks for the help!

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #552 of 564
They definitely have more bass than your 360's, DT990's are well known for their quality deep and textured bass, Quantity wise it is not a basshead headphone like the Sony XB series but compared to many other Hi-Fi headphones such as HD598/K7xx/MA900/A700x etc it has more bass!!

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #553 of 564
Another thing you should be aware of is that the DT990's need a really good amplifier...the cheapest ones that I can recommend to you are Schiit Magni 2 or Schiit Magni 2 Uber...in sub-150 bucks category, these two are the best.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #554 of 564
Thanks for the quick reply!
I just went to creatives website and looked at the specs for my sound card and it says it can drive 600 ohms amp headphones. http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-z.aspx

I mean if a sound card is the wrong way to go I don't mind spending extra to get my setup working properly. If I did need to buy an amp/DAC I was reccomended the Fiio - E10K Olympus. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back