Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Dec 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #556 of 706
Can anyone please compare DT 770 with HD 598? I know one is closed and the other is open. But HD 598 is what I have-so it is a good reference point. I have heard the treble on the DT 770 can be too hot. Do comparison with HD 598 will give me some idea.

I listen to mainly classical, jazz and Radiohead. Thanks!

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #557 of 706
recently upgraded from MDR-V6 for home use to DT 770 PRO 80 ohm.  I am currently pairing it with Schiit Fulla.  Anyone would recommend a Cayin C5D over it? (for $99)

I can't recommend the Schitt Fulla over the Cayin C5, but I can comment that the Cayin C5 powers the DT770-80 easily. Listening with and with the Cayin C5 on my Samsung S5 is more enjoyable with the Cayin C5 because the mids and lower frequencies have more snap. On the S5, volume is about 80-90% whereas on the Cayin C5,low gain is enough. I really like the Bass Boost as well for two reasons. At low volumes, the DT770-80 highs are very present but I feel the lower frequencies lag in volume a bit so with bass boost, listening at low volumes is more enjoyable. The second reason is that the DT770 lower mids sound clean to me so when you use the Cayin C5 bass boost, you don't end up with a bloated mess in the upper bass, lower mid area. The DT770-80 responds well to the boost on the C5. What's nice is that with the flip of a switch, if a song is already too bass heavy, you can cut it instantly. I was ok happy with the DT770-80 initially, then a little disappointed after hearing a V Moda M100 at first but I felt there was too much emphasis and congestion in the M100 with bass bleed into the mids, yet I wanted that punch in the DT770-80. When I recently got the Cayin C5, it fixed that problem and is not overboard (for me). I get the soundstage, clean mids and now more thump/impact in the DT770-80. It also boost that sub-bass so you gain more extension down low. I don't think I can travel or listen to my DT770-80 workout the C5 now unless I'm on my desktop unit. My desktop dac/amp is an m9XX and typically I listen to other cans, not that the DT770-80 isn't optimal here. My 2 cents.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #558 of 706
I can't recommend the Schitt Fulla over the Cayin C5, but I can comment that the Cayin C5 powers the DT770-80 easily. Listening with and with the Cayin C5 on my Samsung S5 is more enjoyable with the Cayin C5 because the mids and lower frequencies have more snap. On the S5, volume is about 80-90% whereas on the Cayin C5,low gain is enough. I really like the Bass Boost as well for two reasons. At low volumes, the DT770-80 highs are very present but I feel the lower frequencies lag in volume a bit so with bass boost, listening at low volumes is more enjoyable. The second reason is that the DT770 lower mids sound clean to me so when you use the Cayin C5 bass boost, you don't end up with a bloated mess in the upper bass, lower mid area. The DT770-80 responds well to the boost on the C5. What's nice is that with the flip of a switch, if a song is already too bass heavy, you can cut it instantly. I was ok happy with the DT770-80 initially, then a little disappointed after hearing a V Moda M100 at first but I felt there was too much emphasis and congestion in the M100 with bass bleed into the mids, yet I wanted that punch in the DT770-80. When I recently got the Cayin C5, it fixed that problem and is not overboard (for me). I get the soundstage, clean mids and now more thump/impact in the DT770-80. It also boost that sub-bass so you gain more extension down low. I don't think I can travel or listen to my DT770-80 workout the C5 now unless I'm on my desktop unit. My desktop dac/amp is an m9XX and typically I listen to other cans, not that the DT770-80 isn't optimal here. My 2 cents.

Thanks for your feedback.  Are you suggesting then that if I get the Cayin C5 DAC for $99 I shouldn't miss it?

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #559 of 706
Thanks for your feedback.  Are you suggesting then that if I get the Cayin C5 DAC for $99 I shouldn't miss it?

I don't own the Schitt Fulla so I can't say if you would miss it. Con with using the Cayin C5 as a desktop amp is that I don't believe you can run it and charge at the same time and its ONLY an amp BUT it is portable, compact and powerful. I can only give one side of the story. I did heard one headfier say the Schitt Fulla was terrible but the Fulla 2 fixed the issues, essentially avoid the Fulla, go Fulla 2. I trust the comment and if i were in the market, I'd avoid the Fulla like the plague. It would take me a minute to find where the comment was made since it wasn't on a Schitt thread. The Fulla 2 is also a dac/amp and looks fairly powerful. I NEVER tap out power on my Cayin C5 so I think the Fulla 2 would have plenty of power. Again, I've never heard it. Check the Schitt thread.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #560 of 706
I don't own the Schitt Fulla so I can't say if you would miss it. Con with using the Cayin C5 as a desktop amp is that I don't believe you can run it and charge at the same time and its ONLY an amp BUT it is portable, compact and powerful. I can only give one side of the story. I did heard one headfier say the Schitt Fulla was terrible but the Fulla 2 fixed the issues, essentially avoid the Fulla, go Fulla 2. I trust the comment and if i were in the market, I'd avoid the Fulla like the plague. It would take me a minute to find where the comment was made since it wasn't on a Schitt thread. The Fulla 2 is also a dac/amp and looks fairly powerful. I NEVER tap out power on my Cayin C5 so I think the Fulla 2 would have plenty of power. Again, I've never heard it. Check the Schitt thread.

The Cayin C5d is DAC+AMP version and not just an amplifier which is C5.  What I would like to know is it worth spending $99 to get it over using standalone DT770 over the Realtek ALC1150 or any other PMP/Audio source.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #561 of 706
The Cayin C5d is DAC+AMP version and not just an amplifier which is C5.  What I would like to know is it worth spending $99 to get it over using standalone DT770 over the Realtek ALC1150 or any other PMP/Audio source.

Apologies, I read too fast and saw Cayin C5 not C5D. I haven't heard raving reviews of the C5D like I have the C5. I guess back to square one. For the C5D its less powerful and the bass boost more subtle. That's all I've read and why I went with the C5.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #562 of 706
Can anyone please compare DT 770 with HD 598? I know one is closed and the other is open. But HD 598 is what I have-so it is a good reference point. I have heard the treble on the DT 770 can be too hot. Do comparison with HD 598 will give me some idea.

I listen to mainly classical, jazz and Radiohead. Thanks!

Hi, I own the Beyer 80ohm DT 770s and used to own the HD598, from what I can remember of the 598, if you like/used to the 598 sound then you will find the 770 on the bright side, at least at first, if my memory serves me right the 598 is rather warm, laid back and closer to neutral, where as the 770 has more of a, IMO, a U shaped sound signature, the highs and the lows are more prominent than the mids, to my ears the 770 has a more fun sound, one of the common complaints is the highs, so if you are sensitive to highs that could be a problem, I have a high tolerance to high frequencies so I don't find them bright/hot at all absolutely love them, my advice, if you can, would be to give them a demo, as you say you like classical and jazz, other alternatives worth looking at might be, the DT 880s and the AKG K702, they are fairly neutral, but on the lean side. Hope this helps!.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #563 of 706
I have open a post in help section, then I found the dedicated topic so I ask also here.
I've bought Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 ohm and use it with Fiio 2nd Gen and Fiio A3 Amp.
I've tested headphone several hours but I have a problem and I don't know if it was a limit of headphones or my Beyer are not perfect.
I use them with mp3, flac and A3 amp on Low Gain but at max volume headphones started to crackling and became sibilant. If I use on Hig Gain I can't go over 4/5 (of 9) on the scale of Volume, they started to distorce music a lot.
I have not this problem with other (less expensive and with less impedance) headphones, like Superlux HD 681 evo. With Superlux I could turn up volume a lot, lot more without distorsion.
Is this a problem of my pair of Beyer or is normal for them? 

Inviato dal mio LG-H850 utilizzando Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #564 of 706
I have open a post in help section, then I found the dedicated topic so I ask also here.
I've bought Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 ohm and use it with Fiio 2nd Gen and Fiio A3 Amp.
I've tested headphone several hours but I have a problem and I don't know if it was a limit of headphones or my Beyer are not perfect.
I use them with mp3, flac and A3 amp on Low Gain but at max volume headphones started to crackling and became sibilant. If I use on Hig Gain I can't go over 4/5 (of 9) on the scale of Volume, they started to distorce music a lot.
I have not this problem with other (less expensive and with less impedance) headphones, like Superlux HD 681 evo. With Superlux I could turn up volume a lot, lot more without distorsion.
Is this a problem of my pair of Beyer or is normal for them? 

Inviato dal mio LG-H850 utilizzando Tapatalk

You are not connecting Beyers to line out right?

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #565 of 706
I've connected Fiio X1 and Fiio A3 amp in line out mode, then connected beyer to the (only) headphones plug of amplifier. The volume on the DAP are at max level and I use the weel of the amp to set the volume. I didn't use EQ and bass boost of A3 was off. I used DT 770 for about 10/15 hours.. I don't know if they want many hours of burn in, they seems to sound yet a little better compared to when I pulled out of the box. But with the same source (DAP + amp) I didn't have problems of crackling with other headphones..

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #566 of 706
Anyone can share correction numbers for EQ for these? thx

happy_face1.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #567 of 706
That will depend on your own ears, but reducing the midbass and 10kHz peak by about 5-7dB are a good start.  Another 5-7dB reduction to 6kHz should be good.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #568 of 706
  That will depend on your own ears, but reducing the midbass and 10kHz peak by about 5-7dB are a good start.  Another 5-7dB reduction to 6kHz should be good.

I dont hear problematic spikes like on its open brothers but i'll give it a shot.

Surprised no changed to the lower end. I've boosted it a little below 80hz down to 30 by about 5db, but ofc lowering everything else as not to cause clipping with higher volume. But yes all ears differ greatly!

This can is very strange genre to genre, requiring lots of tinkering. But i guess in the headphone game, tinkering time is time well spent. Thx bud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back