Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Mar 2, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #586 of 706
Originally Posted by carldun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see, that's quite unfortunate. Would the fiio a1 amp ($30) suffice? It's the most I could stretch it for. This looks cool as well, Nobsound NS-08E.

I imagine either one of those would be better than nothing and you could always upgrade to a more powerful amp in the future.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #587 of 706

I imagine either one of those would be better than nothing and you could always upgrade to a more powerful amp in the future.

Awesome, I might buy those $100+ dac/amps in the future but certainly not now. A question though and this is slightly out of topic but have you ever heard of the SoundMagic HP150? They said it sounded good unamped and the best part is that I can replace its earpads with the dt 770's.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #588 of 706
  Awesome, I might buy those $100+ dac/amps in the future but certainly not now. A question though and this is slightly out of topic but have you ever heard of the SoundMagic HP150? They said it sounded good unamped and the best part is that I can replace its earpads with the dt 770's.

I haven't heard those, no. I've heard *of* them. Someone else in this thread might have.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #589 of 706

I haven't heard those, no. I've heard *of* them. Someone else in this thread might have.

I see, if I can't find any one that can ship to my country I probably might settle with the DT 770. Quick question though, what should be my priority? A dac or an amp? Which greatly impacts the audio reproduced in terms of clarity?

Oh an also, what's a good price for the DT770 80ohm? It's currently $170 but I've seen it around $130-$140 a few times I think.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #590 of 706
Originally Posted by carldun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see, if I can't find any one that can ship to my country I probably might settle with the DT 770. Quick question though, what should be my priority? A dac or an amp? Which greatly impacts the audio reproduced in terms of clarity?

Oh an also, what's a good price for the DT770 80ohm? It's currently $170 but I've seen it around $130-$140 a few times I think.

Even at $170 its a good value IMO but yeah, at $130 or $140 its a steal.

Whether a DAC or an amp would have a larger positive impact is hard to say. If the audio output on your computer is poor then a DAC might be a big improvement. Otherwise an amp would probably be a bigger improvement with the DT770 since amping gives it better sound quality plus gives you the ability to get plenty of volume out of it regardless of your source material.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #591 of 706

Yes $130 is a sweet spot.  I would have gladly spent that much for these.  However, I grabbed them from Newegg at an offer price of $111.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #592 of 706

Even at $170 its a good value IMO but yeah, at $130 or $140 its a steal.

Whether a DAC or an amp would have a larger positive impact is hard to say. If the audio output on your computer is poor then a DAC might be a big improvement. Otherwise an amp would probably be a bigger improvement with the DT770 since amping gives it better sound quality plus gives you the ability to get plenty of volume out of it regardless of your source material.

I did a little digging and seeing as there's no upcoming holidays and based on this chart: https://keepa.com/#!product/1-B0016MNAAI, $170 does seem to be the average price and there were frequent $200+ changes this past month so I think I'll buy it at this price.

Black Friday - around $120
December - around $135
January - around $150

As for my source I'm not really sure, it uses the alc887 and afaik it's just an average on board audio. I'm using it on my Swans D1080-IV though and I'm pretty satisfied with the sound although I haven't heard what my setup's "supposed" to sound so I'm not really sure as well.

Yes $130 is a sweet spot.  I would have gladly spent that much for these.  However, I grabbed them from Newegg at an offer price of $111.

Oh wow that is a steal! I wish I was into headphones when Black Friday was on. Since it's only the start of March, I'd probably pay the extra $40 than wait for 8 months 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #593 of 706
Hi,

i've read many of the comments in this thread and I'm pretty much convinced to buy a pair of these as a higher end headphones - for mostly home use for variety of genres of music. Currently I own Grado SR60, AKG K450, and SONY XB700. How would the DT770 stack to those and what would be the major difference?

In addition, I was planning to pick up a dac/amp to use for them and was looking for some comments and suggestions in that department too.

Which of these do you think would offer the best quality of sound (for now and potentially upgrades in the future) - OPPO's HA-2SE or FIIO's Alpen E2 or A5?

I do realize they are in different price range, but I am willing to invest in better quality if this will offer better price/performance and potential in the future.

Also, what would be the difference between a sole amp (A5) and the dac/amp combo? The source will be for the most part my phone (Oneplus 3T).

thanks in advance

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #594 of 706
I would suggest listening to DT770-80's before jumping the gun on the amp/dac combo.  Personally, I am unwilling to shell out more than $100 on a DAC/AMP combo for the DT770.  In fact I am using a Cayin C5D and have a hard time justifying the purchase to myself. With that said you should definitely give the DT770 a shot.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #595 of 706
I bought my DT770-80 for about $125 last May on Amazon. Great headphones. Some of the best soundstage for closed headphones and they still retain decent bass response which I think seem to work against each other in headphone designs. Beyer has figured this out at a good price. For the price, I feel they are a great deal.

I power them with a Cayin C5 out of my phone (S5) which I think has a decent DAC. I've listened to them out of my Sony Vaio laptop and switched to the S5 because the DAC IMO sounded terrible. I also use the C5 bass boost when I'm in the mood which I think works well with them because of the clean lower mids and upper bass, so with the C5 bass boost on, I think it's complements the signature nicely adding that extra fullness. The C5 bass boost doesn't work well with all headphones. I picked up the C5 for about $100. It's nice because it's very portable, lots of power, bass boost, decent battery life and some people even use it during charging like a desktop unit.

If I were concern about the DAC, if consider the Schitt Fulla 2 at $99. I haven't heard it BUT it's small, compact, a combo unit, decent power specs, and is transportable, possibly portable depending on your definition of portable and fairly inexpensive, relatively. I'd check the thread for synergy with the DT770.

If you ever decide to upgrade later, the Fulla 2 might be a good travel unit due to is capability and form factor. I have the Grace m9XX which is similar but higher end and I really dig its form factor and capabilities for this very reason. It's transportable IMO. I use it primarily as a desk unit and if I couldn't afford it, something like the Fulla 2 looks attractive.

To be clear, I haven't owned or heard it but read up on it plenty enough that I think it's worth investigating.

If you have a bigger budget and want something more portable, the Oppo HA2SE looks like a great option.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #596 of 706
Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely consider the Cayin as it does look much more portable than the Schitt and at a better price. I am shopping from within Europe and currently best price for the DTs I can find is 120 GBP, which I guess is still a decent price for the quality. Cayin is only ebay as it seems too :)

I forgot to mention, but I also have a small FIIO E06 portable amp. Would that be sufficient for the DTs btw or the battery won't last very long with them?

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #597 of 706
Recieved mine a couple of days ago, been burning in during the nights, sound has improved noticeably.

Needs a small amp for the best sound, my Dragonfly Red seems like a perfect match, iPhone clearly struggling.

Definitely V-shaped, but I don't care, absolutely love it now. What a bargain !  

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #598 of 706
Hi,

I have been also considering the DT880 (top of my list atm), but my main concern for these is the length of the cable and it not being replaceable (easy at least with a click in/out manner).

What pair of closed back headphones, with replaceable/shorter cable, would you recommend, that will be with similar sound qualities - albeit at a bit higher price range - up to/around 200 euro?

I will be using a Cayin 5C (thanks CoFire - I ended up actually buying one
normal_smile .gif
 ) as an amp and my phone (Oneplus 3T) as a source mainly.

thanks

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #599 of 706
That's great! I'm interested in your opinions of the Cayin C5 with and without the bass boost (high gain). I won't be offended if you're disappointed but as for me, I like the impact and fullness the boost adds when I'm in the mood or for certain genres.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #600 of 706
Got these mainly for recording, really impressed by the sound... wasn't expecting to like it this much! Nice bass, smooth highs and neutral mids. Very nice soundstage for a closed. Prefer them over my Oppo PM3 to be honest, which sound very closed in and the on-ear isn't as comfortable. These are super comfortable so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back