Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Oct 24, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #531 of 706
I'm considering buying Schiit Modi 2U and Schiit Magni 2U pair to power my Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 Ohms. Any thoughts on these pair ?

I have previously used Fiio E07 and was not happy with the sound. I currently have an Astell & Kern AK Jr, which sounds amazing but has just enough power to drive the Beyers. 

I need something which can comfortably drive them.

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #532 of 706
The Schiit units will be a definite improvement over E07, especially when E07's headphone amp is junk to begin with.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #533 of 706
Have had the dt770 80ohms for a few months. First used with fiio e7 and now have a ibasso dx80. I want to be impressed but I am not. Hopefully more burn in will be the solution.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #534 of 706
Headphones don't change that much with burn-in.  What do you dislike about it?

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #535 of 706
Sound stage just doesn't do it for me and I feel like the low end isn't there either. Recessed miss maybe. Not an expert by any means. The dx80 should have enough power for them correct?

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #536 of 706
From my experience, these headphones does not pair well with DAPs or portable DAC/AMP combos. I have been pairing them with my Astell & Kern AK Jr, which has enough power to drive a lot of headphones. They were not able to drive the Beyers to high volumes, but gives an amazing soundstage and definition to the sound. If i plug these headphones to my laptop, the bass is bloated and mids are recessed, its very uninspiring to listen to. These heaphones sound amazing through a desktop headphone amplifier like the Schiit stack.

If you want a portable pair of headphones, you should consider buying a different pair which is easier to drive. I always prefer in-ears for portable use and over-ears for home use.

I have noticed significant changes in the sound after a burn-in of 100 hours, after which there is no noticeable change. The lows became more controlled and mids were no more recessed after the burn-in when powered by a proper amp.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #537 of 706
Well that is good news, just means I'll have to pickup a desktop amp now. I have been switching between my Shure se215 and Vsonic Gr07 for use with the dx80. I am sure water 100 hours and a good amp the beyers will impress me.

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #538 of 706
  From my experience, these headphones does not pair well with DAPs or portable DAC/AMP combos. I have been pairing them with my Astell & Kern AK Jr, which has enough power to drive a lot of headphones. They were not able to drive the Beyers to high volumes, but gives an amazing soundstage and definition to the sound. If i plug these headphones to my laptop, the bass is bloated and mids are recessed, its very uninspiring to listen to. These heaphones sound amazing through a desktop headphone amplifier like the Schiit stack.

If you want a portable pair of headphones, you should consider buying a different pair which is easier to drive. I always prefer in-ears for portable use and over-ears for home use.

I have noticed significant changes in the sound after a burn-in of 100 hours, after which there is no noticeable change. The lows became more controlled and mids were no more recessed after the burn-in when powered by a proper amp.

You sure you're not confusing the 80ohm with the 250ohm?

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #539 of 706
Yes, I have an 80 Ohm version. Although I would not suggest to get a desktop amplifier just to drive the DT770s (there are a lot of other headphones which will impress you more than the Beyers). If you plan to collect more high-end headphones in the future, go ahead and get a desktop amplifier. It will be a good investment.

If you want to remain portable, get a different pair of headphones.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #540 of 706
I use IEMs for portability so no issues there. I take the beyers when I go offshore for work.

You said others will impress me more? Any suggestions? Pm me if you want as I know this is probably not the right place for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back