Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #91 of 679
Quote:

Not bad for me and interesting to test , but i don't think that many would like it . (i still use standard pads with them , for the isolation as i use it mostly outdoor)

Thanks Havoc, it's something I may try once I have them burned in, I'm enjoying them too much at the moment to mess with the sound though 
beyersmile.png

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #92 of 679
over the last two days ive tried every Beyerdynamic there is. I think Zombie_X had it nailed pretty perfectly. Once you identify whether your a 770/880/990 person you can then choose from the VERY subtle differences in each ohmage. Personally i liked the 32, 80, and 250. I think the 80 has the most bass, but the 250 has the best over all definition and clarity in the mids and bass (not as boomy when driven with enough power). The LE is fun one and its limited so why not? If you dont like velure pads, or you dont want to buy an amp- there is no other coice. the unamped 80 is too messy, it needs an amp to shine. The 32 sounds just fine without an amp.

Personally im a 770 person on the go, but could be a 990 person at home if i had money to spend on something other than a set of signature Dj/Pro for my next set after these. 

as for premium VS Pro: pro have all replaceable parts- they are built for industry use. Premium have a different look, different headband cover (headband internals roughly the same), but thats about it, they are otherwise identcal i assume. Sound was almost identical, there were some differences i THINK but these were so minor it could be psychosamatic.

I guess theres a can out there for everyone, so far for me its Beyerdynamic.

Cant go too wrong with the LE, its much better than than some of the overhyped others in the price point being discussed on HF.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #93 of 679
The DT 770 AE arrived yesterday evening.. I've listened to it on and off since then.  All listening was done with the ODAC & UHA-6S MKII (or Objective 2).  Source was my laptop or Samsung Galaxy S3 (USB Audio out via OTG cable).  Music was primarily jazz, funk, soul, electronica, hip hop music (HQ) streamed via my MOG subscription.  I've probably clocked about 4 hours total on the DT 770 AE, so consider these very initial thoughts.

[size=small]In a nutshell, it sounds like Beyer collaborated with Sennheiser (at least those Senn engineers who developed the HD6xx series) to tune this phone.  Considering the HD600 is arguably, my favorite full sized headphone of all time.. this is a very good thing.  The AE's midrange has that kind of signature airy, clear, laid back (but [/size][size=small]not[/size][size=small] recessed) feel that the HD600/HD650 is known for.  Not quite as articulate, forward, and transparent as the famed Senn mids.. but listening to the AE, I'm reminded of the HD6xx's midrange in terms of tone & texture.  Couple this with [/size][size=small]the soft, punchy bass and crisp, airy, open treble that Beyer's traditionally known for.. and you've got a very nicely tuned phone that has an excellent mix of neutrality & color.  Dynamics are excellent.  Timbre is very good too.. the midrange is slightly warmed up.. but not to the point everything sounds veiled.[/size]

[size=small]The overall signature of the AE certainly leans to the warm side... it's quite soothing and inviting.. but not dark sounding thanks to the well proportioned treble presence.  The treble is clear, clean, and extended.. but not overly sharp, edgy, or accented.  It was a little hot OOTB.. but it has since gained control and settled down.  The midbass could stand to tighten up a bit (we'll see how this progresses as I let them burn in).. but the lack of speed (atm) there not offensive in any way.[/size]

[size=small]IMO, Headfonia really nailed it in their review.. they hear it very much in the same way I do.  The clear, grainless quality is really quite apparent (and enjoyable).. I'm glad they emphasized that... it's definitely a feather in the DT 770 AE's cap.  That clarity makes it very enjoyable to listen with when you're pumping well recorded music through it (jazz & acoustic, in particular).  The signature is very versatile, IMO.. but perhaps a tad bit too colored for classical.  Everything else sounds very pleasing, so far.[/size]  [size=small]For closed phones, I'm quite impressed with the soundstage.  It's proportioned exceedingly well.. possessing excellent depth, width, and height.  In addition, instrument separation & spacing feels very natural and balanced.  It's one of the better headphones I've heard when it comes to presenting music music with 3D/realism.. an impressive feat.. especially for a closed phone.[/size]

[size=small]I briefly listened to the DT 770 AE straight out of my Galaxy S3.. while it was able to drive it loud.. bass definitely lost control and the clarity, separation, and extension I enjoyed (when it was amped) too a noticeable hit.  So while they can be driven to reasonably loud levels out of a DAP/smartphone, they greatly benefit (and deserve to be driven) from a good DAC & amp.  I think they'd benefit from a HQ, neutral, clean, solid state amp.  I really liked how they sounded with the ODAC + UHA-6S MKII & Objective 2.[/size]

[size=small]So far, I'm very happy with the purchase.  In terms of performance, they certainly deliver for their retail ($250) price tag & consider them an excellent value.[/size]

[size=small]I'll have ongoing impressions as they burn in..[/size]

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #94 of 679
So these DT770 AE are they a lot different midbass wise than DT770 PRO 80 ohm? Because for my taste the midbass was quite a bit lacking in DT770 PRO/80 while the subbass could be a bit bloated at times.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #95 of 679
Quote:

Cant go too wrong with the LE, its much better than than some of the overhyped others in the price point being discussed on HF.

This!!

I listen for fun! If I was listening for any other reason I would expect to be paid. The 770 Pro LE is fun in spades, and totally non-offensive :wink:

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #96 of 679
Quote:
So these DT770 AE are they a lot different midbass wise than DT770 PRO 80 ohm? Because for my taste the midbass was quite a bit lacking in DT770 PRO/80 while the subbass could be a bit bloated at times.

I'm no audio expert so it's difficult for me to describe...

All I can say is that with the 770 LE's all my music sounds awesome! Everything is just right for these ears, and I've also had waaay too much wine this evening so I apologise in advance 
beyersmile.png

Listening to Buddy Guy and John Mayer at the moment, and it feels like rain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhU1JFVhMQE&list=FLA8qURgNEpssbfT4OGiN97Q&index=1  

Awesome!

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #97 of 679
over the last two days ive tried every Beyerdynamic there is. I think Zombie_X had it nailed pretty perfectly. Once you identify whether your a 770/880/990 person you can then choose from the VERY subtle differences in each ohmage. Personally i liked the 32, 80, and 250. I think the 80 has the most bass, but the 250 has the best over all definition and clarity in the mids and bass (not as boomy when driven with enough power). The LE is fun one and its limited so why not? If you dont like velure pads, or you dont want to buy an amp- there is no other coice. the unamped 80 is too messy, it needs an amp to shine. The 32 sounds just fine without an amp.

Personally im a 770 person on the go, but could be a 990 person at home if i had money to spend on something other than a set of signature Dj/Pro for my next set after these. 

as for premium VS Pro: pro have all replaceable parts- they are built for industry use. Premium have a different look, different headband cover (headband internals roughly the same), but thats about it, they are otherwise identcal i assume. Sound was almost identical, there were some differences i THINK but these were so minor it could be psychosamatic.

I guess theres a can out there for everyone, so far for me its Beyerdynamic.

I stopped at BB today to listen to the 250ohm as I listened to the 80 at Guitar center yesterday and I think I preferred the 250. I was surprised how well the e11 drove it. I took my e11 and ipod classic in with me. At max volume it was as loud as I would ever listen to it, but never got past that. I still fear the day I didn't have the e11 around that I wouldn't get much from the phones themselves, but the bass wasn't nearly as over the top like the 80ohm to me.

Its clarity was not as good as the K167 to me. The voices were not as crisp, but I didn't mind what I was hearing. The comfort was fantastic.

I may pick up a 250 here soon. I'd love to find a premium to buy as I like their looks more. If I could just find a 32 to give a listen, I'd consider that, but seeing how I'd want to buy pads and hate straight cords, I guess I should pass.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #100 of 679
Quote:
Not sure they 770 comes in premium?

It used to have a premium version, which was discontinued in 2011, and replaced by the more expensive T70. You can still find and buy some, mostly used ones. This shop in Europe claims to still have a few new premium DT770s, which have a customized look (in various colors, etc.). There is also the MMX300 gaming headset that is based on the 32 Ω premium DT770, but it is not particularly cheap at nearly 300 €. However, with the same drivers (i.e. 250 vs. 250 Ω), the difference in sound compared to the pro version is said not to be that much.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #101 of 679
Day three with these phones (my initial thoughts appear about 7 posts before this one, for those who missed it).. and I'm enjoying the DT 770 AE more and more.  How much?  I haven't touched my HD600 since the AE arrived 
basshead.gif

As far as burn in.. these have changed a fair bit from how they sounded ootb (out of the box).. to how they sound now (approx 10-15 hours logged).  They went from.. crisp/somewhat bright.. to warm, a bit thick, and slow.. to quite balanced now.  Bass has tightened up considerably.  OOTB, the loose nature of the bass occupied a wider band of bass frequencies... which gave the bass sort of a 'fat' quality.  Now, that looseness occupies a much tighter, narrow scope of frequencies.. so that's good news.  It still isn't the fastest bass out there.. but at the price point, I wou;dn't consider it a weakness.

The midrange is really quite special.  It possesses excellent depth and offers a terrific blend of neutrality/transparency and a hint of color.  The coloration feels quite sophisticated too in that it isn't that outright, "cheap" sense of warmth that many monitoring phones love to feature; i.e. the kind that makes its presence known no matter what kind of music you play.  It's much more nuanced here.  I'd best describe it as delicate, "ethereal" warmth that accentuates instead of veils... it isn't ever present and feels quite dependent on the quality of the recording.  I very much enjoy how vocals sound in these phones.. male vocals have nice weight and that tinge of warmth gives a touch of that analog sound.  Same goes for female vocals.. airy, smooth, detailed.  There's such a terrific, engaging musicality to the midrange (that suits my tastes, anyway).. it's probably why I haven't gone running back to the HD600.

What keeps the midrange from sounding excessively subdued and laid back is the crisp, airy treble.  There's some sizzle in the 3-6K range that was a bit hot/sibilant in the first few hours.. but has since relaxed.  Treble presence blends & balances quite well with the midrange.  It doesn't sound brashly boosted at all.. it's what I'd describe as typical Beyer treble (based on what I've read).. crisp, airy, accurate.  It gives the soundstage a nice sense of openness and vocals the necessary air.  Speaking of the soundstage... the AE possesses one of the most impressive soundstage I've heard from a closed phone.. let alone one in this price bracket.  It makes for a very non-fatiguing, "live" listening experience.  I don't get the "wall of sound" feel that permeates many closed phones/monitors.

The AE seems quite sensitive to recording quality, too.  The revealing nature of my DAC and amp (ODAC & O2) is, to a degree, responsible for this sensitivity.. but the phones themselves (noticeably) "show off" with well recorded material (improved soundstage, dynamics, clarity, and tonal accuracy are all easily distinguishable).

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #103 of 679
Quote:
Not Only Bass ^^
the DT-770 Velours pads are not vented like DT-880/990/T1 are . 
And isolation suffer a lot i would say that there is almost  NO isolation at All with this pads . 

Sound is more open airy and transparent also impression of more details  , remind me a lot of DT-880 but with less body  , bass "suffer" a lot , much less body and impact , wich turn this can into something very thin sounding , mids are even more transparent but colder too .A very clear sounding , but without body to contain it . A bit cold like a synthetic ghost (it don't mean anything right but i have this impression XD)

Highs clearly pop out . (For exemple Cymbales are clearly highlited , drums very dry , guitare like an electric razor ,  voice almost to clean like something would be missing ) 

Not bad for me and interesting to test , but i don't think that many would like it . (i still use standard pads with them , for the isolation as i use it mostly outdoor)

Has anyone else tried these with velour pads?

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #104 of 679
I was watching the other night "The Dark Knight Rises" in Blue-Ray with the JVC HAS500…  and then at minute 50:50 I had a subwoofer moment of epic proportions. That Bat-copter has some low end grunt that makes real the statement: "it tickles your ears".  I played back that passage with my DT770 LE and the sub-bass energy was there to tickle my ears again. The Beyers are really all-purpose headphones. 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back