Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Dec 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #61 of 679
Different material (I think) but much the same. An interestting note is that the cover for the headband has snap buttons! Add as much foam/memory foam as you like and reattach. No modding needed.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #62 of 679
What are the true sound differences in the 32/80/250.
I LOVE a coiled cord and have an e11. Should I lean toward the 250? Is the e11 powerful enough to amp them?
All 3 have pluses and minus for me.

Plus: low impediance, can be driven easily
Cons: no coiled cable and no velour pads

Pros: easily driven, velour pads
Cons: straight cord

Pros: velour pads, coiled cable
Cons: need an amp

I have only heard the 80 and liked it, but what are some sound differences in these.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #63 of 679
I LOVE a coiled cord and have an e11. Should I lean toward the 250? Is the e11 powerful enough to amp them?

I have only heard the 80 and liked it, but what are some sound differences in these.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #64 of 679

Thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #65 of 679

Thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #66 of 679
for me the 80 was a LITTLE less scooped in the mids than the 250, the 250 and 600 are reatively the same. Surprisingly both the 250 and 600 were equally loud at the same volume on the e17, which i guess means they will be relatively equally driven. The step from 80-250 wasnt that noticable either. They were all pretty similar. I could really nit pick, but it would honestly be nitpicking. They are all about the same. The stand out (again) is the LE, to my ears anyways its the most different. Mids are all there, highs are more forward, the whole thing is tighter and more forward and separation was superior on these too. 

build was also quite different on the 32LE, they are a repro of a vintage set of (88 year old?) 770's. The pads are the same material "softskin" as the heaband. they are also HEAPS lighter than any other 770 ive ever felt. Headband is the same material with the same cover, but perhaps the shell on the outer earcups is a different "vintage" material. They are around 30-50% LIGHTER than 250ohm pro, but just as sturdy, these dont feel cheap. they feel retro and professional for their "era". On the beyer website they are catagorised under "studio use".

On the manufacturers website they spot the key differences between all of them too. An interesting one i noticed is this:

Glassball reinforced ear cups

None of the other 770's have this, however besides this and the cord, and the pads, the rest seems the same? They dont spec the drivers or electronics though so thats an unknown.

Until i hear more from them or someone who knows, ill assume the sound differences are due to the "glassball" ear cups, and different build/pad materials. However i find this hard to believe as the sound is certainly more forward than the 770 250, which i could have lived without. Boomy bass, veiling the already scooped mids, and rolled off highs.... not for me, no detail, not for reference work or analytical audiophile ears, but great for the price i guess? 

From the sounds of it your hung up on a cord and some velure pads and dont mind sound. Just go for the 250 then.

Personally im getting the fuzzy  pads just for fun (interchangable), and the cord can be modded easily im assuming, but its not a dealbreaker for me. I bought the headphones, not the accessories.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #67 of 679
Wait just saw this in the description on the manufacturers website;

Its newly developed 32 Ohms drivers are based on our world-renowned 80 Ohms and 250 Ohms drivers.

I guess this means the 80 and 250 versions have the same drivers but these do not. :D confirmation these are not the same internally. I knew they couldnt possibly be.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #68 of 679
Well, the 80 and 250 Ohm versions obviously have different drivers as well... the moving coil is lighter with the higher ohm versions as the wire is thinner...
Nevertheless there seem to be more differences soundwise between the LE and the regular versions than the website suggests: Its not just less impedance and higher sensitivity.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #69 of 679
I have the DT770/600 version. I use pleather pads and have lined the cups with dynamat (don't think this did much though). I feel these are hard to fault- great, if slightly bright highs; present mids; maybe the bass could be tighter like my K550. I really dislike sharp highs, sibilance and anemic, undefined bass as a reference- I like rich sounding but accurate phones.

I wonder if the LE is just a warmed up stock DT770 (via the pads) and the rest is marketing? I am almost curious enough to try them.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #71 of 679
i really do want to try these, but i really hate the premium price for what you get, it seems.  its more about the packaging than the product, which i always hate paying for.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #72 of 679
In Australia they are only $40-$50 over the dt770 pro 250, worth it to me. But we all have different budgets. Again it's not just packaging, they sound and feel very different. They don't have a curly cord though and I know from all your other posts that this is what your after foremost, so go for another set of cans. Most things at this price point are "good" anyways.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #73 of 679
My LE are making a cracking sound in the headband, and its getting worse:frowning2: 
Just to add to the torment i just demo'ed the 80ohm 770 and loved it. It actually messed my head up a little, im not sure what to think anymore. I didnt find the 80ohm bass flabby, but that might just be my e17 powering them adequately? I was hard pressed to define the difference in the other frequencies, but i preferred the punch of the bass (even though i had to turn down the boost level i had for the LE). The LE did sound far more refined than the 250ohm, but is the 80 that different to the 250? Am i just liking the 80 more because its slightly more impactful my headband is making awful noises... maybe.

One thing i know for sure, the 80 and the 32 weigh roughly the same, they have the same cord, and are externally the same material. Still unsure what this "glassball" stuff is in the LE.
They do have different pads, but would velure pads add that much bass difference or add brightness? THe 250 had velure and sounded dimmer.

One thing i know for sure, i like both of them, a lot. Certainly better than the similarly priced k167.

Jury is still out whether the LE is worth more than the 80 though.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #74 of 679
The 32ohm is a ridiculously light headphone. Most comfortable I've owned. Like all closed headphones, they can get a little warm. The more I listen, the more I like; I think for the limited amount I listen at home, they're a great balance of price point, quality and practicality. I was a little worried about the ratio of bass to mids, but unless the track gets really moving/busy, I don't find the bass overpowers the mids. The mids are still not as forward or as "sweet" as the HD600. Female vocals in particular seem a little laid back in the mix; I can find myself turning up the volume to focus on the vocals in some songs. I'd like them to be slightly more mid-centric but I prefer them to other closed headphones, I've tried, for the mix of comfort and sonic balance. Not sure how they graph, they they sound more balanced to me than the D2000 or M50.

I'm considering getting a padded drawstring bag for these if I could find a good price. I could imagine throwing these in the car when I want to write at Starbucks, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back