Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Dec 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #76 of 679
Quote:
Plus: low impediance, can be driven easily
Cons: no coiled cable and no velour pads

Beyerdynamic sells a repair set with a coiled cable, suitable for the DT770. On their german site it is listed with article number 973779. Pads can be changed as well... According to their FAQ the main difference between velour and soft skin pads (default with the LE) is the isolation: the latter isolates more.

Also according to their FAQ the sound difference between the PRO und consumer versions is due to increased pressure due to the stronger headband on the PRO versions: better isolation but a little less detail mid/high and a bit more bass. They do not elaborate on the pads changing the sound, but I think the velour might give a little less bass as they do not seal that much.

Disclaimer: only deducted from Beyers german FAQ. I did not try out the other variants of the DT770.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #77 of 679
Quote:
My LE are making a cracking sound in the headband, and its getting worse:frowning2: 
Just to add to the torment i just demo'ed the 80ohm 770 and loved it. It actually messed my head up a little, im not sure what to think anymore. I didnt find the 80ohm bass flabby, but that might just be my e17 powering them adequately? I was hard pressed to define the difference in the other frequencies, but i preferred the punch of the bass (even though i had to turn down the boost level i had for the LE). The LE did sound far more refined than the 250ohm, but is the 80 that different to the 250? Am i just liking the 80 more because its slightly more impactful my headband is making awful noises... maybe.

One thing i know for sure, the 80 and the 32 weigh roughly the same, they have the same cord, and are externally the same material. Still unsure what this "glassball" stuff is in the LE.
They do have different pads, but would velure pads add that much bass difference or add brightness? THe 250 had velure and sounded dimmer.

One thing i know for sure, i like both of them, a lot. Certainly better than the similarly priced k167.

Jury is still out whether the LE is worth more than the 80 though.

Huh, that's very interesting, bet same pads put them even close, Pro 80 were never universally regarded as a good sounding phones. Well, one more phone off my list, thanks.
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #78 of 679
Huh, that's very interesting, bet same pads put them even close, Pro 80 were never universally regarded as a good sounding phones. Well, one more phone off my list, thanks. :frowning2:

Really? I have always thought the contrary. It seems the pro80 is vary popular, moreso than the 250.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #79 of 679
Something ive learnt is that based on reading all opinions here on different phones, then going to my usual haunts and trying them out (always same amp, same source same settings and adjusting from there), taste certainly vary.

A great example of this for me were all the grado lines, hd650, and perhaps pro900. You read people raving about these, but to me it wasnt just that i didnt like the sound signature or in the pro900 case also the comfort or lack of. I can accept we all have different ears and different levels of hearing damage. But to me, based purely on sound quality, some of the models popularised here i couldnt even see their vague comparison to others at that price point or even to cheaper headphones. 

I wont harp on or go into any more detail, but the best advice i can give is not to take advice, make up your own mind. 

Make a shortlist of what you want, check the manufacturers site for a local reseller for each. THen visit the store or two that stock them all between them (in my travel ive found these stores that stock almost everything head fi related exist in most countries especially the US).

Take your own amp and player, a notepad, and loads of free time. Make a pile for the ones you like, and a pile for the ones you certainly dont. Then recompare from the good ones.

I would wager that you end up buying something you didnt expect, then re-reading reviews online you may find you might agree with my statements above.

Variety in people and tastes is a good thing, dont deny your individuality.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #80 of 679
Quote:
Really? I have always thought the contrary. It seems the pro80 is vary popular, moreso than the 250.

IIRC Beyer came out with Premium line to address shortcoming of Pro (not saying that they succeeded at that).
Some might have liked them, Headphile still use them as a base model for woodies, but if 32 sounds anything like 80 I'll pass, thanks, not my cup of tea at all.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #81 of 679
Quote:

pro 80 and pro 600 models were always the most popular. THeres a great thread here on this forum comparing the sonic differences between all of them. The post was very well done and includes build quality, compares design and internals, and a very in depth explanation of all statements. Its a fantastic read whether you like beyer cans or not. Hats off to the author Zombie_X

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #83 of 679
Hmm, after reading that I guess I am more cusrious why more people don't like the 250 pro and 600 pro as that seems to be the preferred ones.

Did the premiums offer anything but new looks? Same internal parts thus same sound as its pro counter part?

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #84 of 679
Been listening to my new DT 770 LE's for about 24 hours in total now, and I'm really loving their sound. To my ears they absolutely love this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8eNXv97YFY&list=FLA8qURgNEpssbfT4OGiN97Q&index=31  It's not really my kind of music tbh, but it sounds eye-meltingly good on these Beyers!

If you've got the same cans ( or any cans ), have a listen and tell me if you agree 
L3000.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #85 of 679
If you something different from your DT-770 Pro LE , try DT-880/990/T1 Pads on it 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #87 of 679
Quote:
If you something different from your DT-770 Pro LE , try DT-880/990/T1 Pads on it 
biggrin.gif

I'll try anything once, what will the effect be? Assuming you have tried it of course 
popcorn.gif

Quote:
What will they do? Dampen? Isolate? Add bass?

Well, they don't need any bass adding imho, and isolation is excellent! These cans really do seem to be made for me, I can't get enough 
beyersmile.png

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #88 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finguz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try anything once, what will the effect be? Assuming you have tried it of course 
popcorn.gif

Probably less bass, as the 990 pads isolate less, and those who tried swapping the two types of velour pads reported exactly that.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #89 of 679
Quote:

Probably less bass, as the 990 pads isolate less, and those who tried swapping the two types of velour pads reported exactly that.

Yes I was thinking along the same lines, in which case I will probably pass as the sound is very close to ideal for me right now, and the isolation is a nice bonus. Of course it is still early days as they continue to burn in. I will see how the sound develops, and I really appreciate the input, thanks guys!

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #90 of 679
Not Only Bass ^^
the DT-770 Velours pads are not vented like DT-880/990/T1 are . 
And isolation suffer a lot i would say that there is almost  NO isolation at All with this pads . 

Sound is more open airy and transparent also impression of more details  , remind me a lot of DT-880 but with less body  , bass "suffer" a lot , much less body and impact , wich turn this can into something very thin sounding , mids are even more transparent but colder too .A very clear sounding , but without body to contain it . A bit cold like a synthetic ghost (it don't mean anything right but i have this impression XD)

Highs clearly pop out . (For exemple Cymbales are clearly highlited , drums very dry , guitare like an electric razor ,  voice almost to clean like something would be missing ) 

Not bad for me and interesting to test , but i don't think that many would like it . (i still use standard pads with them , for the isolation as i use it mostly outdoor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back