Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2,341 of 2,575
I know what you mean.
I recently bought the Momentum TWS and they are seriously V-shaped, at least to my impressions. Very good energetic iem, excellent for the gy but I prefer a more balanced milder signature with prominent mids and a slight emphasis on bass, exactly like that one of the DT150.

So you say IE800 and IE800s are pretty similar sound-wise?

Another thing that keeps me rather reserved towards Sennheiser iems it's the fact that there are many counterfeit out there if one decides to take the used route...

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,342 of 2,575
So you say IE800 and IE800s are pretty similar sound-wise?

Yes, they are very similar. There is slight sonic difference between them to the better quality and improved sonic curve of the S version, else I wouldn't upgrade. Someone who is not accustomed to critical listening or have poor source gear may not even notice that difference.

Another thing that keeps me rather reserved towards Sennheiser iems it's the fact that there are many counterfeit out there if one decides to take the used route...

Couldn't agree more.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,343 of 2,575
Yes, they are very similar. There is slight sonic difference between them to the better quality and improved sonic curve of the S version, else I wouldn't upgrade. Someone who is not accustomed to critical listening or have poor source gear may not even notice that difference.

Couldn't agree more.
Thanks for the valuable info!

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #2,344 of 2,575
Got the 1540 Alcantara pads today, and just finished installing them on the DT 150.

It was a bit of a pain, but installing the DT 100 velours was actually more difficult, since the edges of the Alcantara pads that go on the cups are a stretchy fabric, vs hard plastic edges on the DT 100 velours.

Bought them, because I've read that they take care of the slight metallic tinge in the treble, will listen to them soon and see if the sometimes slight metallic texture has gone away!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,345 of 2,575
So just had a 2 hour session yesterday with the Alcantara pads on.

They have tighter bass impact than the DT-100 velours, but slightly less quantity. I like the bass more with the Alcantara pads, as it's still highly punchy, but more controlled.

The whole treble range is a bit more recessed compared to the DT-100 velours, lacking more air, having slightly more sparkle than the HD 650 now, instead of clearly more.

About the metallic tinge, I think it's slightly lessened, but it's still not gone away. Luckily I have the HD 650 in case I desire that.

Finally, the sound is less ''big'' as compared to the DT-100 velours, because of the fact that the pads are quite a bit smaller, making them more similar in presence to ordinary headphones. That ''big'' sound is unique with the DT-100 velours and original pads, giving everything in the sound a lot of presence.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,346 of 2,575
It is a brand new pair actually. I'll have them tomorrow or the day after I hope.
I will stick with the stock ones for now. You convinced me :)
Another thing that pointed me towards the velour ones was that I read somewhere that they are better comfort wise for those wearing glasses - and I do wear glasses.

Let us know your thoughts, these are on the short list for me as well.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,347 of 2,575
Just wanted to update for my DT-150. These are a serious love affair already for me. I tend to reach them more often than my HD650 and that alone says a lot!
Today I received the tiny DC02 USB DAC by iBasso and to my great surpise, it drives my DT150 extremely well with serious power and authority. The synergy is beyond amazing although I would hardy believe that a small adapter of such type would be able to drive a 250-ohm headphone. I was totally wrong. Not only it drives them but dare to say I prefer this synergy over the one with my Topping DX3.

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #2,348 of 2,575
Just wanted to update for my DT-150. These are a serious love affair already for me. I tend to reach them more often than my HD650 and that alone says a lot!
Today I received the tiny DC02 USB DAC by iBasso and to my great surpise, it drives my DT150 extremely well with serious power and authority. The synergy is beyond amazing although I would hardy believe that a small adapter of such type would be able to drive a 250-ohm headphone. I was totally wrong. Not only it drives them but dare to say I prefer this synergy over the one with my Topping DX3.
I've gone back to the stock pads. While the DT-100 velours have more intimate vocals which engage me more, the stock pads have the cleanest most liquid treble. The DT-100 velours are a bit metallic by comparison

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #2,351 of 2,575

Did some more experiement with my pad setup. This time raised whole velour pads with firm foam and now they're about as deep as pleather pads. Soundstage is now very big and nice! I also put soft foam inside pads to reduce hallishness effect and put original driver covering foam to make sound a bit warmer. Now sound is pretty much perfect for my preferences at this moment. Wide soundstage, smooth and open sound with great details, bass is tight and punchy. And comfort is great (DT100 headband
rolleyes.gif
).
So you put soft foam inside the velour pads to reduce resonances, and after that this firm foam to make them deeper, if I'm correct? Or did you put the soft foam inside the cups?

I also want to kill a bit of resonances with the DT-100 velours, so the treble becomes a bit more refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back