Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jun 20, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #2,566 of 2,575
Hi @RedJohn456 ! :pray:

I have been enjoying AKG K7XX, AKG K400 and Sennheiser HD-250 Linear1 lately! I am listening to the speakers with 2 different setups in the house as well (mostly Dali and Tannoy).

I really did not get excited from anything else to write about for a period of time since I bought this little and cheap amp from Fosi Audio. The sound from the Mac Mini M2 + FosiAudio T20 + Beyer DT150 has been exceeded anything else that I have tried. Synergy is incredible. I wish someone could try the Fosi Audio T20 Tube amp with their DT150 and tell me that my 49 years old ears and brain is not going mad :)

I have A-B'ed every headphone in my collection with the mentioned set-up and DT150 sounds out of this world! It became my main headphone since I purchase the T20 and I am never looking back! So this is why you see me again in Head-Fi with a review :beyersmile:

Nice to hear from an old friend. I am seeing that you're still using the avatar that I designed! Cheers! :beerchug:

PS: I need to mention this: Mac Mini M2 and M2 Pro both share the same audio components which are better than the previous generation (intel and M1) Mac Mini's and Macbooks. Mac Mini M2 also have high impedance headphone support. It sounds better than my Sabre DAC so I do not use an external DAC anymore...

The avatar will forever be used on this forum for sure :). I regret selling my k7xx since I found out they discontinued it. I have an M1 macbook air, wish it had the improved headphone out as well.

I haven't heard of this amp so I tried looking for it on amazon but not here unfortunately.

Jun 21, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #2,567 of 2,575
Anyone else find the DR150 has too much energy in the 100-200 hz area?

You can just use hybrid memory foam ear-pads (like the one I use or similar, half velour/half leather, Brainwavz hybrid angled memoryfoam earpads are also great). It levels the freq response very nicely on DT150.

I have to add... what I found through the ear-pad journey with DT150 that angled ear-pads adds holographic soundstage to this headphone. I never ever go back and try regular ones after hearing the effect.

I used this version until the pleather parts decayed. It sounds great, a little difficult to fit:
Brainwavz Hybrid Angled Memoryfoam Earpads

The one I currently use is this one. It is not better than Brainwavz (Brainwavz is slightly better for the sound) but very good for the price. Also easier to fit:
Aliexpress hybrid angled earpads

PS: I keep the thin foam disc inside the DT150 cups. Removing them makes the headphone sound slightly more clear but adds some sharper highs so I put them again...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #2,568 of 2,575
You can just use hybrid memory foam ear-pads (like the one I use or similar, half velour/half leather, Brainwavz hybrid angled memoryfoam earpads are also great). It levels the freq response very nicely on DT150.

I have to add... what I found through the ear-pad journey with DT150 that angled ear-pads adds holographic soundstage to this headphone. I never ever go back and try regular ones after hearing the effect.

I used this version until the pleather parts decayed. It sounds great, a little difficult to fit:
Brainwavz Hybrid Angled Memoryfoam Earpads

The one I currently use is this one. It is not better than Brainwavz (Brainwavz is slightly better for the sound) but very good for the price. Also easier to fit:
Aliexpress hybrid angled earpads

PS: I keep the thin foam disc inside the DT150 cups. Removing them makes the headphone sound slightly more clear but adds some sharper highs so I put them again...
Thank you for the tips and suggestions. It’s not easy to find rectangular shaped pads so I guess you have to make do with what’s there.

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,569 of 2,575
Thank you for the tips and suggestions. It’s not easy to find rectangular shaped pads so I guess you have to make do with what’s there.

You're welcome.

Yes, and any oval (preferably) or circular earpad with correct size can stretch and get the similar shape of the DT150.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #2,570 of 2,575
Morning. I've been dipping my toe into Beyerdynamics with modding DT770 PROs and after a bit of research, have bought a second hand pair of 250Ohm DT150s. Looking forward to making some balanced cables and pad rolling. I've got a pair of angled Brainwavz-type pads coming. Will the original DT770 grey velour pads stretch over the DT150s?

Jul 18, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #2,571 of 2,575
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #2,572 of 2,575
Thanks @nexgen for the suggestions - I have ordered a couple of different sets for comparison. I really like the DT150 - more balanced than the DT770 and DT770 V3 Custom Cans mod. The DT770 do sound a little more energetic and exciting though.

Adding the Xbass through the ZEN CAN shows that the DT150s can cope with a healthy dollop of subbass. I quickly added the 6 pin connector to a balanced 4.4mm Mogami 2534 starquad - sounds a little clearer in the treble with more separation but not harsh at all.

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #2,573 of 2,575
@Sunstealer You are welcome. I have tried some earpad sets too before I ended with above sheepskins. I also build own 4.4mm balanced cable on Canare Starquad conductor.
I do like stock ammount of bass from DT150 at my configuration but everyone have different taste :wink: I didn't use xbass even in iCan Pro and I do like electronic music a lot :)

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #2,574 of 2,575
Tried adding 7g of blutac as mass damping directly behind driver - really reduced the degree of bass available. This brought the treble into more prominence, feeling a bit shouty.

Removed this and added 25mm strips of 5mm thick window insulation foam tape into the back of the cups. Feels little softer but still plenty of treble. Waiting for the angled pads, I think pad rolling will be enough to complete the modifications.

Any suggestions for starquad that will fit into the 6 pin connector without having to strip the outside insulation? The Mogami is too thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back