Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jan 6, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,371 of 2,575
I've been in this hobby for about 15 years. Several headphones, several amps, dacs, cables what have you. I've heard some wonderful products and lots of hyped up terrible ones.

I purchased a pair of DT150s recently and have been burning them in. Sometimes a product comes along and rearranges your sense. To me that's the DT150. It does so much right. At an unbelievable price point. It puts much more expensive headphones to shame. I absolutely LOVE these headphones. I have headphones costing 30x the price and keep coming back to these. They let me hear and get lost in the music without thinking about my gear.

Pairing it with a RME ADI-2 PRO and its a match made in heaven.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #2,372 of 2,575
I've been in this hobby for about 15 years. Several headphones, several amps, dacs, cables what have you. I've heard some wonderful products and lots of hyped up terrible ones.

I purchased a pair of DT150s recently and have been burning them in. Sometimes a product comes along and rearranges your sense. To me that's the DT150. It does so much right. At an unbelievable price point. It puts much more expensive headphones to shame. I absolutely LOVE these headphones. I have headphones costing 30x the price and keep coming back to these. They let me hear and get lost in the music without thinking about my gear.

Pairing it with a RME ADI-2 PRO and its a match made in heaven.

The DT 150 are a special pair of headphones and sadly don't get the attention they deserve, they are the first truly good closed-back I've owned. Beyer somehow just nailed it with it. They were a big turning point in this hobby for me when I first got them. Interestingly the other headphone that completely changed things for me was also a closed-back Beyer that uses the same housing, the DT 480. Those two headphones made me question the progress in terms of transducer quality as well as made me realize price and expensive gear doesn't equal the best sound. Sometimes I question some of my more expensive purchases due to headphones like these.

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2,373 of 2,575
The DT 150 are a special pair of headphones and sadly don't get the attention they deserve, they are the first truly good closed-back I've owned. Beyer somehow just nailed it with it. They were a big turning point in this hobby for me when I first got them. Interestingly the other headphone that completely changed things for me was also a closed-back Beyer that uses the same housing, the DT 480. Those two headphones made me question the progress in terms of transducer quality as well as made me realize price and expensive gear doesn't equal the best sound. Sometimes I question some of my more expensive purchases due to headphones like these.

I almost gave up on closed headphones after searching for several years. Wanted something for work and about 6 months ago, purchased one (that was getting a lot of love here) for 4x the price of these beyers. Absolutely hated and sold them. I completely agree with you. These are the first excellent closed backs I've heard. So well balanced, its ridiculous how something this inexpensive can sound so sensational. I'm getting a backup pair for home. Redefines performance/value for me, big time and makes me look at some of my gear in a different light.

Speaking of value, the RME ADI-2 PRO is such a phenomenal piece of gear. The beyers sound incredible with em. Germans are good arent they !

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #2,375 of 2,575
I almost gave up on closed headphones after searching for several years. Wanted something for work and about 6 months ago, purchased one (that was getting a lot of love here) for 4x the price of these beyers. Absolutely hated and sold them. I completely agree with you. These are the first excellent closed backs I've heard. So well balanced, its ridiculous how something this inexpensive can sound so sensational. I'm getting a backup pair for home. Redefines performance/value for me, big time and makes me look at some of my gear in a different light.

Speaking of value, the RME ADI-2 PRO is such a phenomenal piece of gear. The beyers sound incredible with em. Germans are good arent they !

Ah I understand, there are great closed-backs out they often aren't the popular ones some reason. What headphones were those? I may get a pair of DT 150's again, I do miss them.

I am actually looking into upgrading my amp/dac sometime soon, I'll look into it. They are, the Germans know how to make audio gear. First I have to get a STAX SRM-353X or some other stax amp though so I can use my new e-stat headphone which I'm eager to listen to.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,376 of 2,575
I have the Audeze LCD2C which is a bass monster, but I actually end up listening to the DT150 more often because it is better balanced with similar bass impact. I think that the DT150 and the HD600 are the best balanced closed and open headphones of all time.

Excellent choices. Those would be my picks for the best balanced and musical phones representing amazing value.

Ah I understand, there are great closed-backs out they often aren't the popular ones some reason. What headphones were those? I may get a pair of DT 150's again, I do miss them.

I am actually looking into upgrading my amp/dac sometime soon, I'll look into it. They are, the Germans know how to make audio gear. First I have to get a STAX SRM-353X or some other stax amp though so I can use my new e-stat headphone which I'm eager to listen to.

Aeon closed. Looked great. Fit pretty nice. Nowhere as balanced as the DT150. Bass was virtually non existent. I got carried away by the love fest in the thread and purchased it only to promptly sell it.

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,377 of 2,575

If you were to get a pair again, I'd recommend the DT250-250. Pretty much same sound signature as the DT 150 with DT 100 velours, but more refined.

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,378 of 2,575
Is it really the same sound sig ? I’ve read that the dt260 have a flatter sig and dont isolate as well.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #2,379 of 2,575
+1 on the DT250-250. You will need to replace the stick cable, though.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,381 of 2,575
That is true (I also have both, with identical DIY cables), but IMO the 250 has even less grain.

I will be keeping both! 150 for large-scale orchestral, 250 for jazz.

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #2,382 of 2,575
Is it really the same sound sig ? I’ve read that the dt260 have a flatter sig and dont isolate as well.
Yes, but only if the DT 150 has the DT 100 velours.

Soundstage is indeed bigger on the DT 150 as well as larger sounding instruments and vocals due to the bigger cups, but frequency response is the same.

But the DT 250-250 makes up for the smaller soundstage with even more refinement and less grain. And they still sound very present.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #2,383 of 2,575
What about the bass response on the DT250 ? The DT150 has really satisfying bass. I'm going to recable mine which should make it more refined and smooth.

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,385 of 2,575
I may have to try it out, but I'm really happy with the DT150. Also ordered the DT 1770 pro to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back