1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by theobservatory., Oct 25, 2007.
First

Back
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156
  1. G_T_J
    I know what you mean.
    I recently bought the Momentum TWS and they are seriously V-shaped, at least to my impressions. Very good energetic iem, excellent for the gy but I prefer a more balanced milder signature with prominent mids and a slight emphasis on bass, exactly like that one of the DT150.

So you say IE800 and IE800s are pretty similar sound-wise?

Another thing that keeps me rather reserved towards Sennheiser iems it's the fact that there are many counterfeit out there if one decides to take the used route...

2. privilege15
    Yes, they are very similar. There is slight sonic difference between them to the better quality and improved sonic curve of the S version, else I wouldn't upgrade. Someone who is not accustomed to critical listening or have poor source gear may not even notice that difference.

Couldn't agree more.

G_T_J likes this.
  3. G_T_J
    Thanks for the valuable info!

4. dakanao
    Got the 1540 Alcantara pads today, and just finished installing them on the DT 150.

It was a bit of a pain, but installing the DT 100 velours was actually more difficult, since the edges of the Alcantara pads that go on the cups are a stretchy fabric, vs hard plastic edges on the DT 100 velours.

Bought them, because I've read that they take care of the slight metallic tinge in the treble, will listen to them soon and see if the sometimes slight metallic texture has gone away!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. dakanao
    So just had a 2 hour session yesterday with the Alcantara pads on.

They have tighter bass impact than the DT-100 velours, but slightly less quantity. I like the bass more with the Alcantara pads, as it's still highly punchy, but more controlled.

The whole treble range is a bit more recessed compared to the DT-100 velours, lacking more air, having slightly more sparkle than the HD 650 now, instead of clearly more.

About the metallic tinge, I think it's slightly lessened, but it's still not gone away. Luckily I have the HD 650 in case I desire that.

Finally, the sound is less ''big'' as compared to the DT-100 velours, because of the fact that the pads are quite a bit smaller, making them more similar in presence to ordinary headphones. That ''big'' sound is unique with the DT-100 velours and original pads, giving everything in the sound a lot of presence.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  6. yyzpam
    Let us know your thoughts, these are on the short list for me as well.

G_T_J likes this.
  7. G_T_J
    Just wanted to update for my DT-150. These are a serious love affair already for me. I tend to reach them more often than my HD650 and that alone says a lot!
    Today I received the tiny DC02 USB DAC by iBasso and to my great surpise, it drives my DT150 extremely well with serious power and authority. The synergy is beyond amazing although I would hardy believe that a small adapter of such type would be able to drive a 250-ohm headphone. I was totally wrong. Not only it drives them but dare to say I prefer this synergy over the one with my Topping DX3.

8. dakanao
    I've gone back to the stock pads. While the DT-100 velours have more intimate vocals which engage me more, the stock pads have the cleanest most liquid treble. The DT-100 velours are a bit metallic by comparison

G_T_J likes this.
  9. G_T_J
    I haven't experimented with other than the stock ones and I'm quite happy with sound and comfort.

10. dakanao
    Alright, I'll switch back to the DT 100 velours. Why? Because while the treble is excellent, the bass is just too fatiguing and boomy for long listening sessions.

11. dakanao
    So you put soft foam inside the velour pads to reduce resonances, and after that this firm foam to make them deeper, if I'm correct? Or did you put the soft foam inside the cups?

I also want to kill a bit of resonances with the DT-100 velours, so the treble becomes a bit more refined.

12. gringod
    Just wondering if anyone has used the dragonfly red with the DT 150`s ?

13. tomaszffffff
    I’ve tried it for a couple of days and have to say that it wasn’t incredible, just ok. But when it comes to loudness and power in general it definitely lacks the headroom.

14. G_T_J
    The ibasso DC02 makes a surprisingly good pairing with the DT-150! I urge everyone having a chance to try this!

15. toolio
    That was pretty much my experience, as well. They need more oomph than the Dragonfly Red can provide.

First

Back
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156