Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Nov 2, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #616 of 2,575
Thanks for the feedback..what tubes are u using apart form the stock tubes>?  

Are u aware of this project?
Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype

Well I love espressivo for its deep black backgroud, no noise, no hum. It is very versatile as it works as preamp. But to my taste it has a bit too rounded heights for DT150, and a bit to loose bass in DT150. But it sound very good with T70. 
Generally I like Espressivo with DT150 for a very 3D but lush presentation. Nice rig. With Lampizator DAC it is very envolving and offer great voices full of timbre and emotions.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #617 of 2,575
I have ordered a version on 6s45p and 6n6p. But I have replaced 6s45p from stock to vintage NOS Russian 6s45p which sound fuller to me and just better.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #618 of 2,575
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=296

tube rolling is v interesting...at times i tot my DT150 is as clear as a T1..almost.
sometimes it is v lush..when i put in mullard tubes.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #620 of 2,575
hmmm...
MT220 has a slightly brighter signature..(means DT150 is cooler.)
MT220 presents LIVE performance closer, as if u are nearer or on the stage.
Mids is up close...soaring highs..i never had sibilance issues with the yammy.
Both have tall spatial soundstage...both can image depth pretty well too.
MT220 has slightly better clarity on stock mode,
but u can take out the front foam over the DT150 to improve its clarity.
DT150 has slightly more body on the bass. Bass on the MT220 is speedier n impactful.

i have both on my sofa..sometimes i forgot which is on my head. :p

edit : MT220 is v easy to power....
straight off my McAir with Audirvana and it sounds great...without any ext. dac or amp.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #621 of 2,575
  Is it worth to convert DT150 to balanced version?

Left and right grounds are separated right up until the 3.5mm plug on the DT150 (where they are twisted together into a single ground), so it's just a matter of soldering on a new plug

Alternatively it's probably possible to buy an official balanced cable, certainly is for the DT190

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #622 of 2,575

Left and right grounds are separated right up until the 3.5mm plug on the DT150 (where they are twisted together into a single ground), so it's just a matter of soldering on a new plug

Alternatively it's probably possible to buy an official balanced cable, certainly is for the DT190

I have a balanced version of an amplifier (iBasso PB2). Voting for more power I've decided to go balanced with my DT 150. I really don't know what will come out of it as I haven't soldered for years but I just want to try. It seems not very difficult at a glance and very interesting.

I found the diagram for DT 150 connector wiring:

What I see is 4 separate wires which need to be soldered to correct 4 pins on the balanced connector on the other end. So far I have ordered:

1. iBasso Hirose balanced connector HR10A-7P-6P which suits PB2 (ordered from iBasso)

2. A spare cable for DT 150 because I don't want to ruin the main one :) (ordered form Ebay). Costs a lot for just a cable BTW so be preapared)). What I want to do with this cable is cut off that headphone jack and try to solder the 4 wires to the iBasso Hirose balanced connector HR10A-7P-6P as per the schematics above.

3. Soldering iron + solder + flux ordered from a local radio store.

Now expecting everything in upcoming 2-3 weeks. Wish me luck!)

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #623 of 2,575
Still burning in these TD150s, but back to Tel Aviv, and I can listen on my Lehmann Rhinelander and HRT HD w/Chord interconnects. I will do a couple of unscientific tests, which unsurprisingly confirm what I've already learned about these phones. 

Test #1: The sound is definitely more balanced than my DT990 pros. A quick comparison with some roots reggae from the late 1970s shows mids a bit more forward and highs tamed, but perhaps not quite as much as I would have thought. The highs are very clear and crisp, without being in quite as in your face. It is interesting because the high-hats were so hot with the DT990s that I didn't hear a whole layer of percussion right under that. Now with the 150s I hear a wooden stick hitting a cow-bell of sorts, and I can clearly make out the different types of high percussion, which of course is one of the things that makes acoustic reggae from that period so interesting. I imagine the same would go for good Motown recordings and large ensemble jazz, salsa, etc....

Yet, I would say, at least with this set up, the mids and highs are still a bit dry on this relatively bright recording. I actually don't find this to be a dark set up in the least, and actually wouldn't mind it to be a bit darker... 

When I move over to some mid-sized ensemble classical, I find I need to turn the volume up a bit, and still the highs are quite tamed. (I think most recent classical recordings are actually quite careful not to overcook the highs.) ...Wow, so smooth for classical. I find myself just turning the volume up and up. 

I will have to do a lot more listening to be able to say something coherent about the bass. I find the bass to be there, and full of body, without too much impact. At the moment I wouldn't say it was tight, though. It could be the recordings, or it could be my set up. The Lehmann is supposed to be a punchy amp, but I always thought it had less bass impact than my Schiit Magni, despite being five times as expensive. (Obviously, more $ doesn't mean more bass). I could be the relatively low current the Rhinelander puts out (+/-100mw at 250ohm, versus a  lot more for the Schiit Magni). 

Also, two nice things: one the isolation. They're building near my house and I don't hear that at all. Also I have A/C on (yes, compared to DC it's hot), and I don't hear a thing. 

The other thing is at the moment I like the long cord. It's a bit tangly, but it means I can literally get up and make myself coffee without unplugging.... Cool :)

Test #2: From 1990s Dennon CD player to Onkyo Vintage receiver from 1974, listening to the Tel Aviv Session of the Toure-Reichel Collective and am very impressed. The bass is really strong, but the mids and highs come through so well. Again, wooden percussion at the high end I didn't hear previously are not masked by the metal highs of cymbals. The acoustic guitar on this album is still a bit more tinny than I would like, but I've come to the conclusion that Israelis just don't know how to record acoustic guitar like they do in Nashville. That said the guitar is where it is supposed to be in the mix, not way in the back as it was with the DT990 pros. 

Here, I find that I can actually turn the volume way down and still hear everything in the mix. One of the things I dislike about the 990Pros, which otherwise are a good value headphone, is that when you turn up the volume you are either killed by the bass or treble, or both...The mids are there, but they're not loud enough. With the 150s, you can really hear pianos, guitars, and vocals right there on the same volume level as the high and low ends, so there's no need to turn the volume up to ear-splitting levels.

Going back to the original Reggae recording of the session, I find the sound to be a bit better on the CD-Receiver combo. It's not quite as sharp and detailed, but it's a bit more relaxed and easy to listen to. Though some people claim receiver HP jacks create bloat, I don't find that in this case. Or, perhaps, these phones handle bloaty sources well. 

Also, again, the long cord means I can plug into my receiver and actually sit in a comfy chair, rather than squat on the floor or stand like a dork next to the home stereo. 

Edit: Test #3, listening to rock (well, Neil Young, 1971 Massey Hall) through the HRT HD and Lehmann and I think my ears are less stressed out from 14 hours of flying. The sound is amazing. It's not quite as perky and biting as a grado, but the speed is great and the acoustic guitar has body and weight. Also Neil Young sounds good, still completely different than he does these days, but the voice is nice. It's a bit sibilant, but that's probably because it's an MP3 or the recording was just that way to begin with; the highs aren't annoying but they are present. I feel that the emotional energy is there, and yet, I can sit back and chose whether or not I feel like analyzing how it sounds. 

Also, I compared A/B briefly, and I realize my integrated receiver is not as clean as the Lehmann. Also, for classical it does bloat the bass a bit, making it a tiny bit unrealistic. So I'm back to the DAC/HP Amp combo for now. 

Also, Test #4, I hooked up my Fiio E10 to a Schiit Magni at the office and it sounds fine. Not crazy amazing, but listenable for enjoyment or for work, where I have to listen to carefully to certain things. (For sheer energetic music pleasure, the Lehmann/HRT HD is definitely better, with more energetic transients and micro-detail, but not exponentially way better.) 

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #624 of 2,575

I will have to do a lot more listening to be able to say something coherent about the bass. I find the bass to be there, and full of body, without too much impact. At the moment I wouldn't say it was tight, though. It could be the recordings, or it could be my set up. The Lehmann is supposed to be a punchy amp, but I always thought it had less bass impact than my Schiit Magni, despite being five times as expensive. (Obviously, more $ doesn't mean more bass). I could be the relatively low current the Rhinelander puts out (+/-100mw at 250ohm, versus a  lot more for the Schiit Magni).

It's all about the seal if you want more bass impact. MrSpeakers Alpha Pads are a huge improvement for me in this regard.

The amp does make some difference too, but more to the overall clarity when bass is present (I assume that is what people label 'tightness'), particularly if you EQ up the bass

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #625 of 2,575

Interesting...as far as I know the older "K100.0" had 3 Conductors.
With Conductors insulated in traditional PVC rather than the enamel coated one's you find in the 880-770-990.

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #626 of 2,575
  hmmm...
MT220 has a slightly brighter signature..(means DT150 is cooler.)
MT220 presents LIVE performance closer, as if u are nearer or on the stage.
Mids is up close...soaring highs..i never had sibilance issues with the yammy.
Both have tall spatial soundstage...both can image depth pretty well too.
MT220 has slightly better clarity on stock mode,
but u can take out the front foam over the DT150 to improve its clarity.
DT150 has slightly more body on the bass. Bass on the MT220 is speedier n impactful.

i have both on my sofa..sometimes i forgot which is on my head. :p

edit : MT220 is v easy to power....
straight off my McAir with Audirvana and it sounds great...without any ext. dac or amp.

How does the Pandora compare to MT220 and DT150 ?

Which is the best pad for DT150 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131330078694
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141438539931
http://www.ebay.com/itm//131330063080
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261614483292

Thanks Lor !

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #627 of 2,575
I think there are some discussions about pads earlier on in this thread. From what I understood, the bass texture and impact changes a bit with each difference, and one of the first experimenters switched the standard vinyl for velour (which comes with the DT100, apparently) but then eventually switched back to the originals.

Some people say velour is less sweaty, but there are ways to add velour tape onto the vinyl without loosing the original sound of the standard vinyl.  As mentioned by Darkimmortal above, the Alpha pads from Mr. Speakers probably would be more comfortable and seem to add some extra bass, but might cost quite a bit more.

I'm presently fine with the stock vinyl dt150 pads (the ebay entry that ends with 080). I think I like my ears to have a good distance from the speaker, so I wouldn't want thinner pads. Also, they are pretty well padded to me, and I'm not sure if the thicker pads would infringe on the ears, making them actually less comfortable in the end.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #628 of 2,575
The quality of the notes played out by the Pandora has a dense clean refined sound..
Mt220 is less dense, more airy... both are very slightly brighter than the dt150,
Dt150 is like a cello...smooth..natural with a light rumble to the bass.

None has recessed mids...nor weak bass...

I like dt150 for classicals..soundtracks...
Mt220 for stage live recordings...
Pandora when I dun feel like firing up the tubes..
Bare min with an ipad :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #629 of 2,575
Nov 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #630 of 2,575
  I think there are some discussions about pads earlier on in this thread. From what I understood, the bass texture and impact changes a bit with each difference, and one of the first experimenters switched the standard vinyl for velour (which comes with the DT100, apparently) but then eventually switched back to the originals.

Some people say velour is less sweaty, but there are ways to add velour tape onto the vinyl without loosing the original sound of the standard vinyl.  As mentioned by Darkimmortal above, the Alpha pads from Mr. Speakers probably would be more comfortable and seem to add some extra bass, but might cost quite a bit more.

I'm presently fine with the stock vinyl dt150 pads (the ebay entry that ends with 080). I think I like my ears to have a good distance from the speaker, so I wouldn't want thinner pads. Also, they are pretty well padded to me, and I'm not sure if the thicker pads would infringe on the ears, making them actually less comfortable in the end.

For me, velour is definitely not less sweaty. The stock vinyl pads on the DT150 are the only headphones I have used that do not get sweaty within any reasonable amount of time, and that comparison includes the king of comfort (Audio Technica AD700).

The Alpha Pads are actually quite a downgrade in terms of comfort - they get warm and uncomfortable within about 30 minutes of use, whereas the stock pads can be worn for hours with zero discomfort. But this is quite understandable - there is no air gap whatsoever with the alpha pads, while the stock pads had a small gap near my jaw.

Also there are two versions of the stock DT150 pads - the older has softer padding foam than the newer one. The difference in sound and comfort once it's on your head is negligible though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back