Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Nov 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #631 of 2,575

Which is the best pad for DT150 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131330078694
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141438539931
http://www.ebay.com/itm//131330063080
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261614483292

Thanks Lor !

This pad is on my dt150...it gives a neutral studio like sound with little (hall like) resonance.

========

a headfier tried this n didnt like it ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/261614483292

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #632 of 2,575
Yep I have tried this one that Lors mentioned and didn't like the sound. My DT150 became like a 20USD crapphone after this earpad :p    Stuffing some foam beneath the earpads didn't help as well.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #633 of 2,575

This pad is on my dt150...it gives a neutral studio like sound with little (hall like) resonance.

========

a headfier tried this n didnt like it ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/261614483292

How would the Valhalla 2 pair with DT150 ? Better than DV336SE ?

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #634 of 2,575
  How would the Valhalla 2 pair with DT150 ? Better than DV336SE ?

absolutely NOT...cos i havent heard it and dun plan on using it...and my pocket disapproves. LOL

ok..above is just a jest... dun loose sleep over it.

========

The more i listen to the DT150..the more i think the right word is NATURAL sounding..
rather than "neutral"...
listening to some german marches now.. sounds like a real marching band infront of me.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #635 of 2,575
The more i listen to the DT150..the more i think the right word is NATURAL sounding..
rather than "neutral"...
listening to some german marches now.. sounds like a real marching band infront of me.

Absolutely agree that DT150 sounds NAtural!

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #636 of 2,575
Hi all,

The Mad dogs cost 50ish dollars, which is OK, but shipping to Europe is another 50! What?!
(edit: just did a quick check and the shipping is 15 bucks. My bad, but still too much for a couple of grams)

So I went ahead and ordered "Brainwavz HM5 Thick Memory Foam Earpad" and here are my first impressions:

- They are indeed tough to fit on. I had to ask my wife to do it (she has dainty fingers XD)
- the foam isn't as thick as on the stock pads. This makes for  better seal around the ears (although that could be because they are still brand new). I tune the volume down half a notch compared to the stock ear pads.
This also impacts bass response negatively, they are louder but less precise and I find myself switching bass boost off. I also heard a little vibrations when listeneing to James Brown - I got soul but when I tried it on again with the same tune, vibrations were gone. Maybe a little burn-in time is needed.
- my ears feel like they are closer to the drivers.
- Highs are significantly better (I heard new sounds on some tracks which I thought I knew quite well).

As I said, these are my first impressions. I will update when they have a week of listening to.

Just a pic to show that they fit:

cheers,

Nick

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #638 of 2,575

i like this video... :p

Oooo, thanks for sharing my video!
Four months ago when I bought the DT150 based on a friend's recommendation, I distinctly remember how inactive the DT150 discussion was on Head-Fi, then Kman1211 asked me some questions on YouTube and bought his..after those events, the DT150 discussion has spiked up considerably. Which is fantastic. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #639 of 2,575
My DT 150 has been borrowed by a friend for about a month. I'm missing them quite a bit, should have them back next week. The DT 150's are one of the few closed-backs that don't bother me in the bass, a lot of closed-backs project bass in a way that my ears don't like and this causes a channel imbalance in my ears, sometimes quite severe as is the case with the V-Moda Crossfades LP and a modded T50RP, mainly where the bass is in my right ear mainly. Open-backs don't generally do this, neither do angled drivers, but a non-angled driver closed-back chances are it's going to do this, the DT 150 seems to project the sound into my ears with a balance that not even most open-backs do quite as well. My ears are oddly sensitive to how headphones project sound.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #640 of 2,575
  My DT 150 has been borrowed by a friend for about a month. I'm missing them quite a bit, should have them back next week. The DT 150's are one of the few closed-backs that don't bother me in the bass, a lot of closed-backs project bass in a way that my ears don't like and this causes a channel imbalance in my ears, sometimes quite severe as is the case with the V-Moda Crossfades LP and a modded T50RP, mainly where the bass is in my right ear mainly. Open-backs don't generally do this, neither do angled drivers, but a non-angled driver closed-back chances are it's going to do this, the DT 150 seems to project the sound into my ears with a balance that not even most open-backs do quite as well. My ears are oddly sensitive to how headphones project sound.

As the title says: the 150s are bloody brillant, really.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #641 of 2,575

This is what I encounter sometimes as well with other closed headphones: the bass in the right ear. Very annoying!
Another position on the head will help now and then. When it doesn't, I have to swap the pads. Or sell the headphone, like that awful DT 770.
And indeed, this hasn't happen with the DT 150 thankfully
smile_phones.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #642 of 2,575
am using the thick alphapads with dt770...it is a snug tight fit, barely gotten my skull in.
the sound is somewhat crossfed or something...as if the sound when around or thru the thick pads..
i liked the effect n decided to keep it as it is for a diff taste to the music. :p

i think the dt150 benefit from slight angling of the pads to give it some frontal projection...
if that matters to u..depth.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #643 of 2,575
I put dt150 on, damn! Earpads feel so cheap and ears getting warm. But i don't want to take them off :cool:

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #645 of 2,575
I wonder why people compare closed back design cans with open back design cans, it will be like having a picnic in a park with a beautiful view and complaining about the weather, too windy or to hot. And then have a dinner inside the house and complaine about not having a great view of a sunset or something. Focus will be never on the food but on the atmosphere you received it...

Same with open and closed headphones, once you start to compare them, focus will be on the strong sides and weack sides of closed and open designs and not one the sonic signature of headphones themselves....

So the question you asked is how a closed headphone (dt150) is compared to a open can(hd800)
Answer is, open headphone sound more OPEN than the closed one sound more.. can you guess? :cool:

As for sonic character, dt150 has liquid sound with full bodied and smooth midrange. Sound is clear and engaging, very musical headphone! I enjoy it with all type of music, definitely allrounder.
I drive it straight out of iPad Air for now and it sounds fine, even thou it's 250ohms. But dt150 will definetly benefit from amp, no doubt about that!

I tryed to force myself to compare hd800 with dt150 to humor you, but couldn't do it :D
Hd800 is a special headphone, once paired right with other gear there's a few headphones to be compared with hd800 and dt150 isn't one of them ...
Otherwise without right gear to match hd800, this headphones are not worth mention at all...
I haven't found right amp for mine, yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back