beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jul 16, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #406 of 866
I don't know if I dare...

Yes I do; -how do the T50p compare to the 'twins'; Portapro and PX100?

Obviously the T50p is a better can, but the Portapro and the PX100 are like a reference cans for me.

*May I also add a wanted comparison between T50P and DT235?

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #407 of 866
Just received my pair an hour ago, so it's time for a few first impressions.

Comfort: First off, they're smaller than I expected, smaller than my ATH-ESW9, but I think they are about the same size as the HD25 (from memory, I don't own these). I find the cable very thin, I don't have much confidence in it, it is very microphonic when no music is playing, and sometimes you can still hear it when music is playing. They are comfortable with glasses (mine anyway) and I could see myself using them for 1-2 hour periods; I can even forget these are on my head. They stay on well even when my head is parallel to the ground.

Sound: Where the ATH-ESW9 can sound slow and sluggish with fast music, the T50p is well able to keep up. I've done a quick tour of my most listened albums (Metal, Rock and Jazz) and I found them good with all of them. In comparaison, I hate The Misfits on my ATH-ESW9 (the drum impacts are too strong) and I don't care for much for Thrash Metal with them. I find the sound mostly balanced, with the highs being in front. The cymbals sound great, with a slow decay. The bass could be a bit stronger, but it's still present and detailled. Burn-in could fix that. Soundstage, instruments positionning and separation are good. Closing my eyes, I can imagine the headphones off my head, which is great.

Conclusion: They are keepers. They go well with all my music, are extremely comfortable, even with glasses, and, apart from the cable, seem very durable. Move over ESW9, these are now my portables.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #408 of 866
I returned mine, and apparently I got a dud so I edited my comments accordingly. I got so angry I swapped them with IE8.
ksc75smile.gif
... doesn't matter, I needed good quality fun phones anyway. Look forward for a good set of T50p.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #410 of 866

Quote:
Can you please elaborate in what way your T50p were a dud?

I've got a pair here with over 50 hours on them now - and the KSC75 sound quite a bit better in about every aspect.

Remember when I asked you about if the t50p is worth its money? Well I assume this is your answer.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #411 of 866
Indeed - it sounds rather bad for the price. At least mine does. Muffled, veiled, nasal, lacking dynamics, very narrow 3-blob soundstage, and extremely dependent on the fit over the ears - one millimeter to the front or back, up or down, and it sounds completely different. I hope mine's a dud as well, and not what Beyerdynamic intended it to be like.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #412 of 866

Quote:
Indeed - it sounds rather bad for the price. At least mine does. Muffled, veiled, nasal, lacking dynamics, very narrow 3-blob soundstage, and extremely dependent on the fit over the ears - one millimeter to the front or back, up or down, and it sounds completely different. I hope mine's a dud as well, and not what Beyerdynamic intended it to be like.

dfkt; let's trade, you can re-mold my Tf-11, and I will take the T50p off your hands. Mine cost more, but you will have to get the Tf-11 re-molded so it could be a break-even, lose-lose proposition! I find the Tf-11 muffled and veiled, but not nasal or lacking in dynamics... but let me know if you are interested, PM me!

biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #413 of 866
My t50p have more than 200 hours break-in now, but they really didn't change much after about 100 hours or so.  I actually think they sound very good now.  A little bit of midrange recession coupled with (or perhaps actually due to) a slight elevation in the treble, but these are fairly subtle, and the t50p is possessed of a pretty high degree of transparency for a portable headphone.  Its definitely much better sounding than my PXC-350 (although of course it lacks the noise cancellation).

What I need now is to see how they do on airplanes for short trips in terms of isolation, but I don't have any trips immediately planned.  That said, I am keeping these - I needed a lightweight, small portable headphone, and these fit the bill.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #414 of 866
These sound very interesting, but I already have the AKG K26P, Sennheiser PX 100 and Sennheiser PX 200 II.  Very interested in a used pair but wonder how much difference i will notice over the PX 200II's.  which sound very good to my ears.

Very nice looking phones tho...

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #415 of 866

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply, but pretty much the same as your description: muffled, nasal, thin bass, metallic even, details are there but something somewhere is 'wrong' ... I tried them on my netbook with Hifiman EF2, Rockboxed 5.5G, fuze with or without ibasso T3D (every gain settings) .. no cigar, not even close.. same thing only louder. Burning in for 24hr+ did nothing, they sounded exactly as they came in. I needed something for my travel soon, and it would cost me a PX100 in postage alone for exchange from Aussie-land, therefore I tried very hard to like them even with equaliser *cough* etc, but no, my tinnitus got worse because my brain kept looking for the usual sound that wasn't there. Then Michael from soundearphones confirms they sounded different from his demo cans. So don't let my bad luck cloud your ears and judgement. Heck, when the price settled maybe I will order another one.. maybe.. with velour pads? :wink:

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #417 of 866
I must say that the way this thread is going lately makes me want to try a pair of Phiatons...

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #418 of 866

[size=medium]Quote:[/size]
[size=medium]Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif[/size]

[size=medium]First (very positive) impressions here at Headfonia. They were used amped :[/size]

[size=medium]http://www.headfonia.com/?p=5412[/size]

[size=medium]Definitely promising, though they agreed they sound fairly better with amplification compared to a nano. maybe they'd get closer with a better player though.[/size]

[size=medium]I'll definitely buy one around September once production settles in, and maybe compare it to the ESW10. [/size]

[size=medium]I sure hope I hear them like the report in this article on Headfonia. I have a set on the way from the FS section. Keeping fingers crossed. [/size]

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #419 of 866
Okiedokie, mine fit, but it's a close call. It's possible to get them a little smaller by pushing the cans so far up that they can no longer fold flat. If you have smaller than a 57cm head, it's going to be iffy. Why they went with that design choice I have no idea. There's plenty of room here for them to have made more rungs for adjustment, so they could fit nearly everyone.

The cups are small but that's awesome for me. I never could get es-7s to sit properly on my ears. They were nearly circumaural, and when that happened, I lost the seal and the sound. These? Not a problem, they rest on the ear where they should. Very comfy. They won't earn isolation awards, but nor are they horrible at this either. They leak no sound.

Cosmetically, mine did come with some bonus scratches, even though the cups weren't touching. It looks to me like they'd get scratched anyway.

Now for the sound, it's early days yet, but out of my home setup, I'm getting crap-your-pants bass. The mids are recessed, the separation is nice, but it's the bass that really is OMG. For portable or portable-office these are keepers already, but if the balance can manage to improve a bit, that would be gravy. I've not had a chance to really experiment with the ipod with and without amp. I just have them plugged in to the home setup to break in.

You can get even more OMG bass if you plug into an amp with a 120ohm jack, like the old Corda HA-2. I'm doing that right now just for fun. 
L3000.gif

Breaking in with the help of Mr. Bear McCreary and his Razor/The Plan scores. Nothing like taiko drums to wake up some new cans!

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #420 of 866
I guess these fizzled out quick as FOTM huh? 
confused_face_2.gif

Well if anyone is still interested, after a little more than 25 hours, they're doing what new headphones usually do - show glimpses of brilliance in between areas of "oh this is all wrong." They're bright but smooth in the treble, as said over at Headfonia. I wouldn't call them bright cans if you equate bright with light in the bass because they are opposite that. How all this is going to balance all out, time will tell. Gee it'd be nice to get more forward vocals, but that may not be what this headphone does. Pretty much everything Headfonia says is dead on though. So far, so good.

I feel the sound is honest, but also not. That's alright for me because I don't look for too much honesty in a fun headphone. Time will tell there. It already sounds great, but let's see what its character ultimately is.

In terms of isolation, they're not the beloved HD25s and they're certainly not an IEM, but with the tunes a-pumpin' you won't hear the tv at normal volume or people talking or any of that. Outside will probably be a different story but that's not my main usage of them anyway.

I also think that they don't scale up too well, at least not yet. That could well be something that changes because it's close now. What I mean is, on my home setup, the faults of the headphone are far more apparent. With my computer setup, there's more synergy. But like I said before, early days there. And anyway, this wasn't intended as a big ole home headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back