beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jul 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #421 of 866
I did find that they smoothed out enough after 120 hours burn in to become quite acceptable.  I've been using them straight out if my iPad with good results, although I'm hoping the NuForce uDAC will improve that rig a little (should have it in a few days).

The t50p are solid performers, but they're not earth-shattering.  And these days, there have been earth-shattering headphone introductions with some frequency, and as such, I think the t50p isn't going to get much interest at it's price point, in spite of the fact that I like them.

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #422 of 866
It will never be a flavor of the month: the negative impressions it made on the head-fi'ers at CanJam saw to that.

As portables I like them, but the strongly isolating HD25 and the heavily price-reduced ATH-ESW9 make very strong competition. I expect the interest might pick up again when they reach the $200 level like the rest of their competition.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #423 of 866

Quote:
I did find that they smoothed out enough after 120 hours burn in to become quite acceptable.  I've been using them straight out if my iPad with good results, although I'm hoping the NuForce uDAC will improve that rig a little (should have it in a few days).

The t50p are solid performers, but they're not earth-shattering.  And these days, there have been earth-shattering headphone introductions with some frequency, and as such, I think the t50p isn't going to get much interest at it's price point, in spite of the fact that I like them.

I feel they're pretty solid as well, and the size really works for me. I think Beyer crapped out a bit in excluding small headed people, but their choice I suppose. 

As someone who had custom IEMs and who loved them to bits, I don't get the whole "Portable headphones are old and busted and IEMs are the new hotness." attitude in this subforum, but that's just me. :)

Could Beyer have sent a defective headphone to Canjam? Nah, it couldn't be, but it's a shame that THE opinion was formed there. Ah well, they're still shaping up to be great at what they do. To be honest, I'm a bit relieved that it doesn't look like it'll unseat my dt250s from use.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #426 of 866
I think there's this group skepticism of the more expensive portable cans. The P5s fell from grace here quickly, for example. The group looks forward to a big release of these niche cans because it's a niche that needs filling, then they get here and because they're voiced to do a certain thing and act a certain way, and given the price, the group then tends to disregard them.

I pick on the p5 against the t50p because they've both got strong followings outside head-fi and are both great at doing different things. (From what I've read, the p5 has a great voice for female vocals.)

I would have loved to give the ew9s a twirl, but the es7s don't fit. To get the best sound, the cup has to be positioned so that the pad is nearly coming off the back of the ear. When that eventually happens, there goes the sound. It's much more fiddly on my ears than the t50p is.

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #427 of 866
As far as alternatives go, I like my MS 300 better than the ESW9A that I had; it's more comfortable and has better overall sound quality. It offers a smoother top end without sacrificing detail, and tighter, more extended bass. It is very well balanced in the mids as well. It also comes with a very nice case, and folds up smaller. My only complaint is that the cable is quite flimsy.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #429 of 866
I like it much better than I did the P5. And I don't have the ESW9 anymore, so can't compare directly, but while the sound is different for sure, I'd say it's competitive.

Been using the t50p with my iPad and a NuForce uDAC. Very enjoyable portable rig!

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #430 of 866
I find them much more comfortable than the ESW9, especially since they don't mess with my glasses. I think they may sound better for rock and metal, but I have not spend enough time with them yet (left them home
frown.gif
).

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #431 of 866
i sold a pair a couple weeks ago and was able to sell something and rebuy it but i havent opened it up yet. im not sure if id even use it thats the problem. i have the SM3 for port and various full sized =\
i do thnk they look really nice though. is it worth it if i dont even use them.... that is the question...

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #433 of 866
positioning, positioning, positioning. makes a huge difference.  that being said, its a bit too emphasized in the highs right out of the box. not as bad as i thought it was going ot be when reading the bad impressions.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #434 of 866
At 64 hours, it's already so much better. Like Skylab said, a lot smoother. Positioning is important, but lucky for me the cups tend to sit where they should. I can totally increase soundstage and kill the sound if I where them too low though. But that also hurts the ears after a while.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #435 of 866
so i have maybe 2-4 hours total on mine since i just opened the box a couple days ago. i really, really, really think positioning is important. quality wise i think a lot of people have already dismissed the t50p and i think thats a mistake because i really think positioning is more important on these than my t1 or any other headphone ive used.  maybe that makes sense since the cups are smaller than full sized but i had the ES7 and these are much more position dependent.  neways im glad i kept and use these even though there were rub marks on the sides of the cups out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back