beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jul 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #436 of 866
I've jus got mine.
this should clamp the head tightly
& cover the ears

once I placed right, my jaws dropped...this shouldn't be the same one?!
positioning affect much more than I expected

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #437 of 866
This isn't surprising at all. The earpad hole is very tinny, pretty much like the B&W P5 which also desperately needed careful positioning to send the right sound in the right place (your ear holes).

My ESW10 are much less bothersome in this regard, and of course circum headphones even less (in general, not always).

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #438 of 866

Quote:
I've jus got mine.
this should clamp the head tightly
& cover the ears

once I placed right, my jaws dropped...this shouldn't be the same one?!
positioning affect much more than I expected

yep. theyre not t1 status but im definitely keeping them as my aroundn the house pair. they get better and better.

edit: i find the farther back the cups are the better.. of course within reason. if theyre forward it sounds tinny and thin.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #439 of 866
I think Beyer may have shot themselves in the foot. By playing up the "Tesla technology" many had hopes for a T-1 on the cheep and the subsequent disapointment was probably inevitable.

Kevin
Quote:
kinda sad how fast these have fallen from grace. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #440 of 866
They definitely shot themselves in he foot by using what I am now convinced were right-out-of-the-box, un-broken-in pairs at Can Jam.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #441 of 866
Yup, at past 120 hours of burn-in, and I don't see how these need to improve anymore than they have done. They scale up nicely now. Basically it's like a burned-in headphone. Out-of-box a headphone can show you its character, but everything wrong with them has balanced out. I agree with positioning. They need to be little higher and a little back of where you might be used to wearing headphones. They shot themselves in the foot with the sizing. I have to put them as high up as they will go, so that they no longer lie flat. Anyone with a smaller head (mine's a medium at 57cm) is SOL with these cans. Why did they do it like that? Put small cups that need to be worn on the high side, on a slider that isn't as long as it needs to be to allow more heads to wear them. What, Beyerdynamic?

So if you're head is a medium on up, then you have a chance of enjoying the hell out of these. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #442 of 866
Holy Carp! That's right, carp! There's some sort of leap mine made between 120 and 170 hours. These are very special indeed. Beyerdynamic, you are at once idiotic, but also brilliant. 

If a headphone makes you want to not skip the track when iTunes suggests The Reflex, then that's gotta be good. Also, I apparently have Duran Duran in my library.

I'm switching between the home rig and computer rig for burn-in. I'll probably stop at 200 hours just because that seems like a good round number. If they brought unbroken-in cans to CanJam then....facepalm.

Still though, you can hear that they want to be good out-of-box. They just need time to get there.

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #443 of 866

Quote:
Holy Carp! That's right, carp! There's some sort of leap mine made between 120 and 170 hours. These are very special indeed. Beyerdynamic, you are at once idiotic, but also brilliant. 

I had audiophile (speakers only) friends try them on.  They know nothing about the hype and disappointment around the T50p and they were thoroughly impressed.  One of the comments I heard the most were they were great at isolation.  A lot of them like the sound signature and said that after trying it they liked the way beyerdynamics sounded and would be interested in starting with that company for headphones.  Part of what won them over was not having to fuss with a headphone amplifier.

But none of them heard them right out of the box.  Right of the box, I felt ripped off and couldn't believe I had wasted money on them.  Now, I use them quite a bit.  They're not my favorites, but currently they are the most used.  They're light, durable, don't require an amp, and during the summer, I have to say that supra-aural beats out circumaural in the comfort department.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #445 of 866

Quote:

Quote:
I had audiophile (speakers only) friends try them on.  They know nothing about the hype and disappointment around the T50p and they were thoroughly impressed.  One of the comments I heard the most were they were great at isolation.  A lot of them like the sound signature and said that after trying it they liked the way beyerdynamics sounded and would be interested in starting with that company for headphones.  Part of what won them over was not having to fuss with a headphone amplifier.

But none of them heard them right out of the box.  Right of the box, I felt ripped off and couldn't believe I had wasted money on them.  Now, I use them quite a bit.  They're not my favorites, but currently they are the most used.  They're light, durable, don't require an amp, and during the summer, I have to say that supra-aural beats out circumaural in the comfort department.

Jeeze, and here I was deciding to either get the ESW9, 10 and ES10 and theT50p.  I chose the T50p since the price too good to pass up and now left the ATH behind.  From what I am reading, I hope my money was not wasted on this impulse purchase!  And, now I eagerly wait for them.  170 hour burn in time eh?  That sound just as bad as my O-One burn in time, 4-5 days worth, but it was rewarding.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #446 of 866
And by 170 hours, I meant 150. I can do math, me! It's today that they pass the 170 mark. It was at about 120 that I felt like "Welp, this is pretty durn good." - and then tried them again the next day and - Holy Carp! Headroom suggested 200 hours, so I dunno. Maybe they're done cooking now and it's time to let them out of the oven to cool off. I don't know how much better they can get at this point. Usually I'd just stop with the whole burn-in thing and concentrate more on enjoying them, but like a book that's a real page-turner, I'm eager to skip to the end.

Comparing them to how they sounded out-of-box, like any headphone you can sort of guess where this has the potential to go. Some have further to go than others. Some deflate your hopes like a lead balloon. If the t50p is a lead balloon, then it's the Mythbusters one. I didn't think they sucked out of the box, but then again I already knew that they'd need some time, so I was able to do what I call hopeful listening. But comparing then to now. Whoa. I guess a feature of "Tesla Technology" is that the drivers need a bit to stretch out to find their sea legs.

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #448 of 866
Well, that does sound promising.  I do admit it was the whole "Tesla Technology" that swayed me over the wooden cups.  And, that I keep thinking about the tesla coil in mythbusters and hope it would the same thing, in terms of sound quality, not shooting electrical discharges.  Nonetheless, that would be cool too!

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #449 of 866
been listening for an hour already since they arrived. Sq is very good right out of the box. Since i am a firm believer of burn, i will not make any conclusions just yet. and yes positioning is very crucial in getting the best sq. the cups should be equally placed on your ears and exactly at the center of your ears. You get deep bass neutral mids and energetic sparkly highs. thats all for now. I never believed those first impressions saying blah blah sucks blah blah this and that. This is a winner

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #450 of 866
I spent quite a bit of time with mine yesterday since I am on the road.  Used it in 2 rigs - iPod Nano > RSA P51 Mustang, and iPad > Camera Kit USB Out > UDac.

Couple things:

1. The t50p really do not isolate well enough for airplane use - they don;t block enough noise.

2. While the sound is very good overall, they are unquestionably a little bright, and a little hot in the treble.  Not enough to make them unenjoyable, IMO, but people who are very sensitive to treble brightness would probably not like them.

I really enjoyed listening to them, actually - a LOT - but they are what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back