beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Aug 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #451 of 866

Quote:
I spent quite a bit of time with mine yesterday since I am on the road.  Used it in 2 rigs - iPod Nano > RSA P51 Mustang, and iPad > Camera Kit USB Out > UDac.

Couple things:

1. The t50p really do not isolate well enough for airplane use - they don;t block enough noise.

2. While the sound is very good overall, they are unquestionably a little bright, and a little hot in the treble.  Not enough to make them unenjoyable, IMO, but people who are very sensitive to treble brightness would probably not like them.

I really enjoyed listening to them, actually - a LOT - but they are what they are.

do you think the treble can be "adjusted" by position? i too feel exactly like you do. a little bright but very clear and sound great. im glad i decided to keep them.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #452 of 866
I played with this some last night - but I really didn't think any (reasonable) position I tried made much difference in the treble.  There were some positions that sounded better than others, but I found that the kind of natural center-position was best.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #453 of 866
Jet engine noise is really low frequency (at least the stuff that enters the cabin; I assume its engine noise), I haven't met any passive sealed headphones that isolate well enough down there. IEMs are fine though. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #454 of 866
Agreed - the only one that ever did it that I have heard was the Senn HD-25 II.  But that puppy clamps HARD....

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #455 of 866
I almost wish the T50p's clamped a bit harder. When I press cups harder against my ears I get a much fuller, richer bass. As soon as I let go it's lost and they sound rather hollow. No amount of fiddling with their position is helping this deeper bass stay other than just holding them more solidly to my ears. 

They really have a narrow soundstage as well. I know closed portable cans are known for that, but man, this is really like a narrow tunnel of sound. So far I'm not really enjoying them too much.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #456 of 866
Hmm, they clamp my ears like a Grado on steroids. Is that why I'm getting full bass and none of this ouchy treble? Ok, when I say none, what I mean is that you hear treble but it doesn't give you headaches. Something like an sr60 gives me instant headaches, as did the 250ohm dt880.

On a plane, I'd probably take dt250s. The isolation will be so and so but at least they're comfy. The t50p is comfy but after a few hours my ears start barkin'.

I'm at 196 hours now, and close enough for jazz. Time to start listening more and wasting electricity less. 
smile_phones.gif
 The definition of any good headphone is: How does it do with the Master and Commander soundtrack in full HDCD goodness? The answer: Pretty frakking great.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #459 of 866
Well, it could have been that I was listening to the O-Ones before hand.  But, I from what I can tell, it's not as forward than the O-One, it sounds much more balanced.  The nice metallic resonance is a really, really nice touch.  Everything sounds natural.  Very detailed, good clarity, but I feel the mid grade is a bit lacking?  But, I think it has a larger soundstage than the O-One.  Burn in time?

Of course when I was listening through the D2, I was listening to some jazz and johnny cash, then at home I was listening to airbourne.  However, when I went to David Brubeck, and Koop all I can say was "wow" this sounds great, very smooth and natural.

Edit: Actually, I don't know anymore, I'm so confused atm, some songs I say "wow" other I'm more like "meh" and some are more "really now? What..."

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #462 of 866
depends on your preference
do you like the energetic treble?
or do you like to improve bass and lower midrange?
as far as i know, the 1st file with more brown noise is the one for bass
the new file in flac format is for treble

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #463 of 866
Personally, I don't see how certain fq played will change the overall sound signature from say balanced to more lower bass improvement.  Unless, the tesla technology is that fancy.  But, if I were to say, more midrange, that's all.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #464 of 866

Quote:
I almost wish the T50p's clamped a bit harder. When I press cups harder against my ears I get a much fuller, richer bass. As soon as I let go it's lost and they sound rather hollow. No amount of fiddling with their position is helping this deeper bass stay other than just holding them more solidly to my ears. 

They really have a narrow soundstage as well. I know closed portable cans are known for that, but man, this is really like a narrow tunnel of sound. So far I'm not really enjoying them too much.

Would you say the size of the soundstage on the T50p is smaller than the HFI 780 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back