beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Aug 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #467 of 866
I am considering to buy a new portable headphone. First the t50p seemed to be the right choice, but looking at the comments given on the t50p I am not sure anymore.

All I want is improvement from the view of my beloved ESW9, that means I will not buy the t50p if it not increases SQ.

@ those who have both headphones: What do you suggest?

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #468 of 866

Quote:
I am considering to buy a new portable headphone. First the t50p seemed to be the right choice, but looking at the comments given on the t50p I am not sure anymore.

All I want is improvement from the view of my beloved ESW9, that means I will not buy the t50p if it not increases SQ.

@ those who have both headphones: What do you suggest?

Remember that SQ is a very personal signature.  The T50 are definitely more money to buy, ~300USD vs ~200USD.  From what I know of the ESW9, you will lose the warmth and lushness that the wood housing provides.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #469 of 866

Quote:
Remember that SQ is a very personal signature.  The T50 are definitely more money to buy, ~300USD vs ~200USD.  From what I know of the ESW9, you will lose the warmth and lushness that the wood housing provides.

Thanks for the reply. Warmth is important to me, I do not want another Pro 900 -> they are very bright, too bright for my taste. The money, well its ok. It is 250€ in my area and with shipping, etc. the esw costed me about 240€.

I am thinking of trying the ATH-ES10, but they seem to lack in the midrange. It is very dificult.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #471 of 866
This is rather difficult since I will not find a new ESW10JPN under 400€. 300€ is my limit.

What do you mean by grown up version of the ESW9? Another headphone or an improved version?

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #474 of 866
There's a review at Headfonia coming up that's going to put the ew9 and t50p in the same ring with some other closed portables. @mythless - It sounds like your t50p's have the burn-in blues. 
dt880smile.png
 The mids will balance out and stop acting so silly, but it's not a midcentric headphone IMO. 

I don't know how these compare to the er9s or 10s. Neither would really be for me due to the fit issues I had with the es7 (my ears, not my head), and the nature of the wood housing. Wood doesn't do so great if the RH in a room is too dry for too long. This winter I had the humidifier going full tilt and still only managed 20% RH. 

I can accept that a wooden instrument needs a humidifier, but I don't want to coddle my headphones that much. Of course then the es10 becomes an option, but I never could get even the es7 to stay on my ears.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #475 of 866

Quote:
There's a review at Headfonia coming up that's going to put the ew9 and t50p in the same ring with some other closed portables. @mythless - It sounds like your t50p's have the burn-in blues. 
dt880smile.png
 The mids will balance out and stop acting so silly, but it's not a midcentric headphone IMO. 

I don't know how these compare to the er9s or 10s. Neither would really be for me due to the fit issues I had with the es7 (my ears, not my head), and the nature of the wood housing. Wood doesn't do so great if the RH in a room is too dry for too long. This winter I had the humidifier going full tilt and still only managed 20% RH. 

I can accept that a wooden instrument needs a humidifier, but I don't want to coddle my headphones that much. Of course then the es10 becomes an option, but I never could get even the es7 to stay on my ears.

lol humidors ftw!!!  Just need a bigger box with a glass top, then stuff it full of humidors :p Decorative, functional, and can storage both fine cigars and headphones :D

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #476 of 866
Funny you should say that. My husband is a pipe enthusiast, and he's about to blindly embark on building his own pipe rack. He's handy, but I don't think he's really thought this through. It'll be interesting to see what he builds. :) 

Our living room came with this cabinet shelf area built into the wall. Part of that is a cabinet door in the middle that opens up to what was intended to be a liquor cabinet. It's all glass and mirrors in there and the light turns on when you open it. All 50s style goodness. I talked him into using that as his pipe stash - so yup, instant humidor! Works too, you can control the RH and temp in there.

My ukes don't fit though. They're small, but not that small. 

This is of interest to no one, other than we were just IMing about this. I can't get away from the subject of RH and humidors and building things no matter where I go!

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #477 of 866
plainsong, I find this humidor discussion to be entirely relevant - insofar as smoking an expensive Cuban as I listen to my expensive music kit is my personal favourite use of 'spare time'. (As my GF somewhat sarcastically says, I am a man of pleasure.)

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #479 of 866

Quote:
Waited for these to upgrade from my ESW9s, but it does not seem to be a good idea. I will wait for T5P and see what happens.

Weird, my reply to you was eaten when I quoted cooperpwc. 
confused_face_2.gif
 Anyways, just wait for the Headfonia comparison of the two. I've sadly not heard the ew9s, and I'd probably like them. But I have heard enough headphones to know the t50p is nothing to sneeze at. If Beyer sent unbroken in headphones to canjam, and plugged them into a very revealing setup, then I could see where one might have to do a lot of Hopeful Listening to get an idea of the sound.

Quote:
plainsong, I find this humidor discussion to be entirely relevant - insofar as smoking an expensive Cuban as I listen to my expensive music kit is my personal favourite use of 'spare time'. (As my GF somewhat sarcastically says, I am a man of pleasure.)

Oh I feel sorry for your girlfriend! She should get you a decent little Stanwell and Peterson Luxury Blend - it smells soooo much better than a cigar, from the 2nd hand smoker's point of view. 
regular_smile .gif

Considering all the woodied headphones out there, I wonder if anyone has built a headphone humidor. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #480 of 866
The headfonia review is up, and it doesn't seem like he likes em much, but if I heard what he was describing, I'd not like them either. Maybe the t50p should be billed as: Made to fit Plainsong's ears. If you have her ear size and sound preferences, you'll love these. Otherwise, get HD25-1s, or ew9s. 
wink_face.gif

Oh noes! Someone on the internet doesn't like what I like! I must sell! - oh jeez I remember the days when this mattered to me. Don't get stuck in that trap boys and girls, whether we're talking headphones or pez dispensers.

Seriously though, it's a great comparison there at Headfonia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back