beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jul 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #391 of 866

Quote:
 They also sound MUCH better via my RSA P51 Mustang than straight out of an iPod, although the sound out of the iPod is acceptable.

Really?  Straight out of the Zune HD and the P51, I didn't hear any difference.  Maybe I haven't picked certain things up, but I haven't really heard any mentionable improvement between straight out the jack and amped.  I'll be sure to test it some more.  It sounds pretty good straight out of the jack as well.  I'll have to look back on it.  I do like my Mustang and would like it to see more quality use

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #392 of 866

Quote:
I don't think so. The SRH840 are made out of plastic and never sounded thin to these ears :). Also, the P5 is partially made out of metal and yet isn't a thin sounding pair of headphones.

Of course the housing must have a role to play, but I'm pretty sure manufacturers choose their housings wisely and fully know what to expect from them.

By the way I must have bought one of the latest if not the latest brand new ESW10 in Europe, maybe in the entire world :). The price was steep but I realized I'd have a hard time finding other portable headphones with a killer midrange.

Well, I thought of guitars or other wooden instruments. Imagine that they were made of metal. How would they sound? On the other hand you might be right, it would be too stupid from the manufacturers to sell headphones without testing the materials they use in the hifi branche.

Another question: What do you mean by latest ESW10? Do you mean the newest batch produced or the last pair available to buy new?

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #394 of 866
First (very positive) impressions here at Headfonia. They were used amped :

http://www.headfonia.com/?p=5412

Definitely promising, though they agreed they sound fairly better with amplification compared to a nano. maybe they'd get closer with a better player though.

I'll definitely buy one around September once production settles in, and maybe compare it to the ESW10. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #395 of 866
I've hit another snafu, t50p-wise. I'd planned to use them unamped, but higher end headphones being as they are, and being Beyers, I'm not too surprised they need amping. I do have an emergency Total Bithead, so that's no problem. This is for portable-in-an-office-setting type thing anyway. No biggie.

BUT, my aging iPod Touch's dock port has been on the fritz. It's nothing that can be seen with flashlight and magnification, and cleaning solves nothing. I think it's just plain worn out. The coating is even chipping off of it. This means no line out for a while. Apple is a bit fail where Finland is concerned, and the iPhone 4 isn't here yet, and the iPad hasn't even been announced. I don't really want to go back to using a non-PDA type DAP. And no iPod Touch has been announced. It would be dumb to buy the old one now though.

So, that means no line out for a while. Ouch. :frowning2:

Remember Pierre Bernard and his Recliner of Rage? I'm comfortable and furious. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #397 of 866

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, such honesty.

I am with you 100%; it's just more fun with an amp - but only if paired with a really sexy LOD.
bigsmile_face.gif

Absolutely!  It's worth it for all the "what is that stuff" looks I get on the airplane...

But in the case of the t50p, at least as it relates to use with an iPod, and of course, IMO, the amp helps significantly.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #398 of 866
Quote:
I've hit another snafu, t50p-wise. I'd planned to use them unamped, but higher end headphones being as they are, and being Beyers, I'm not too surprised they need amping. I do have an emergency Total Bithead, so that's no problem. This is for portable-in-an-office-setting type thing anyway. No biggie.

BUT, my aging iPod Touch's dock port has been on the fritz. It's nothing that can be seen with flashlight and magnification, and cleaning solves nothing. I think it's just plain worn out. The coating is even chipping off of it. This means no line out for a while. Apple is a bit fail where Finland is concerned, and the iPhone 4 isn't here yet, and the iPad hasn't even been announced. I don't really want to go back to using a non-PDA type DAP. And no iPod Touch has been announced. It would be dumb to buy the old one now though.

So, that means no line out for a while. Ouch. :frowning2:

Remember Pierre Bernard and his Recliner of Rage? I'm comfortable and furious. 
tongue_smile.gif

They sound pretty good unamped directly out of my Sansa Fuze. It's a stretch to say they "need" amping (of course they sound better amped but it's not like the difference between a pair of DT880-250s unamped/amped).

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #399 of 866
I'm not concerned about amping or not amping. It's the joy of head-fi after all. :) No, what I'm really really concerned with is fit. Did Beyer make these too big for anyone with a small to medium-sized head? My 990s are on the second rung, the dt250s are on the 3rd or 4th depending on if I want to squish my earlobes to get a better seal. It's not something I usually worry about.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #402 of 866
These have no problems running unamped. It may be marginally better amped, but you probably will have a much less skewed view if you don't go in assuming you have to run this thing with an amp. As far as loudness goes this thing is louder than my ksc75 at comparable levels on my iphone4, and the loss are pretty efficient phones.

Btw, 1 major bonus: the plug is thin enough to go straight into the iPhone without taking off the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back