beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jul 9, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #361 of 866

Quote:

I was hoping they would isolate as much as my Senn HD 25-1s and I could use them to DJ but they don't seem to isolate any more than my DT 250s. They're obviously not in the same league as the T1s but definitely have that tesla flavor (clear, nice instrument separation and dynamics).

Quote:
I have mine on order and also have the HD-25's to compare to. Glad to hear you could make some comparisons before mine come in. Those look really big though in the headband and I have a tiny head. Can you take pics of them on? Im wondering if they will be wide on me and just look funny.

It would be great to hear a comparison between these and the HD25's IMO from you both
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #362 of 866
Just a quick comment after 25 hours of burn-in.

A quick word about the physicals. I expect a lot of kvetching about this as, even though they are mostly constructed of metal, they have a bit of a fragile feel about them. In truth, they look a bit like they were constructed with parts from Pep Boys (Auto Zone?). The ear cup adjuster looks like a straightened out compression clamp, the headband is two spaced metal bands and the cups swivel on a rivit. Now, the bands may be made of a purpose-sourced Magnausium/Unobtainium alloy in order to keep the weight down, but some may just see it as cheap (like some do with the HD-800), and the skinny cord will really catch some flak. I like it's utilitarian look, myself and think they will be sturdy enough in the end. ATH 10JPN's the're not... 

I listened to the T50 and contrasted it with a few of my other phones. Unfortunately, I didn't have any phones aimed at the portable market, so some may cry foul. So take this as preliminary after limited burn in and as a comparison to more expensive products unburdened by the need to be portable.

The first thing that is obvious is that they don't have the expansive sound field that things like the Sony CD-3000 or Sennheiser HD-800 exhibit. Image width is about the same as my Beyer DT-48 or most conventional phones not optimised for sound field. The images are very precisely located, however. It's easy to follow phrases passed around the orchestra or pan potted in the case of popular music. But the images are small without the sense of height that even the DT-48 exhibits. This is probably par for the course for the form factor.

The bass is impressive for a small over-ear phone. In fact, the lower midbass seems a bit goosed. But not to an excessive level, it adds a welcome bit of warmth. The really low bass is not in evidence as it is with the HD-800 or CD-3000. This too is probably to be expected. But the warmth comes in handy as the top of the phone is a bit hot. Even more so than the HD-800. And there is a bit of an "edge" to the treble. Perhaps with time this will calm down.

There is a good sense of detail, though again not up to the level of the top phones in this parameter. Overall, they don't have the majesty, detail or treble smoothness of the HD-800 or the CD-3000 (admittedly much more expensive) nor the midrange magic of the DT-48. But overall, it is a good sounding phone. For it's purpose and price, it's at least as good as it needs to be. I think it's a solid effort for a $300 portable phone.

Kevin

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #363 of 866
Mine now have over 100 hours burn in. They're sounding very good. The treble edge has calmed down, and the mids have evened out. While I would say the mids are slightly recessed compared to other cans, and the mid-treble just a bit hot compared to other cans, the overall presentation is very good. Nice detail, solid bass, and good image precision for a closed can (though I agree the soundstage is typically somewhat restricted compared to full-sized open cans.

What the t50p are NOT is a cheaper T1. They're nowhere near that good, and they are different sounding. What they ARE is a pretty darned good portable can, and worthy of the 300 price tag for what they are. They are more comfortable than I expected, and much more comfortable than the B&W P5's were. They also sound much, much better than the P5, IMO, though they are clearly quite a bit brighter - they err slightly to the bright side, whereas the P5 err quite a bit to the dark side.

They also sound MUCH better via my RSA P51 Mustang than straight out of an iPod, although the sound out of the iPod is acceptable.

I definitely will be keeping mine. They are better sounding than the Senn PXC-350, which is what I had hoped for. The carrying case is very nice, and so these will be traveling with me a lot.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #364 of 866
Quote:
I have mine on order and also have the HD-25's to compare to. Glad to hear you could make some comparisons before mine come in. Those look really big though in the headband and I have a tiny head. Can you take pics of them on? Im wondering if they will be wide on me and just look funny.

With a little help from my friends. :)

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #365 of 866
^ thanks, that was great. Everyone could use friends like that. However, the headphones are starting to look kinda dorky to me. They just look so "beam me up'ish". Not sure if Im really going to want to rock these out in public.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #367 of 866
Well as for the looks, I have a "beam me up" type of tattoo, so it's actually a plus for me. Geek Pride. 
o2smile.gif

But as for brightness: uh-oh. 
frown.gif

I'll have to wait a while because I didn't send these to my current address. I thought there was going to be a queue, and by the time they were shipped, we'd be back in our old apartment. The building is getting new pipes and our side was just completed and we'll be back at the end of the month. Of course we have mail forwarding, but the Postal service is a bit fail about forwarding packages, and worse about forwarding package notices for those going through customs. They add an extra week to that easily. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #368 of 866
They're not brighter than a DT880, if that helps.  More bass than an 880, too.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #369 of 866

Quote:
They're not brighter than a DT880, if that helps.  More bass than an 880, too.

How would the bass compare to the Ultrasones? I think I read a review or impressions post you made about the 780s a couple years ago and am not sure if you still have them, but an approximation would be helpful. I wouldn't mind something more portable.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #370 of 866

Quote:
Mine now have over 100 hours burn in. They're sounding very good. The treble edge has calmed down, and the mids have evened out. While I would say the mids are slightly recessed compared to other cans, and the mid-treble just a bit hot compared to other cans, the overall presentation is very good. Nice detail, solid bass, and good image precision for a closed can (though I agree the soundstage is typically somewhat restricted compared to full-sized open cans.

What the t50p are NOT is a cheaper T1. They're nowhere near that good, and they are different sounding. What they ARE is a pretty darned good portable can, and worthy of the 300 price tag for what they are. They are more comfortable than I expected, and much more comfortable than the B&W P5's were. They also sound much, much better than the P5, IMO, though they are clearly quite a bit brighter - they err slightly to the bright side, whereas the P5 err quite a bit to the dark side.

They also sound MUCH better via my RSA P51 Mustang than straight out of an iPod, although the sound out of the iPod is acceptable.

I definitely will be keeping mine. They are better sounding than the Senn PXC-350, which is what I had hoped for. The carrying case is very nice, and so these will be traveling with me a lot.

Skylab, you used to own the ESW9. How do you think the T50p compare with those, especially in terms of midrange body, dynamics, bass definition, impact and tightness, and treble airiness ?

Do they roll-off in the sub-bass region ? Any mid-bass hump ?

Also, do you find them to be dynamic enough, especially in comparison to other portable cans you know ?

Finally, which one of your high end headphones would be the closest to the T50p in terms of sound signature (obviously they're technically better) ? Ed8 ? D7000 ? others ?

Thanks !

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #371 of 866

Quote:
How would the bass compare to the Ultrasones? I think I read a review or impressions post you made about the 780s a couple years ago and am not sure if you still have them, but an approximation would be helpful. I wouldn't mind something more portable.

I have not had the Ultrasone 780 in too long to make a meaningful comparison, I'm sorry.  Someone else will need to do that.

Quote:
Skylab, you used to own the ESW9. How do you think the T50p compare with those, especially in terms of midrange body, dynamics, bass definition, impact and tightness, and treble airiness ?

Do they roll-off in the sub-bass region ? Any mid-bass hump ?

Also, do you find them to be dynamic enough, especially in comparison to other portable cans you know ?

Finally, which one of your high end headphones would be the closest to the T50p in terms of sound signature (obviously they're technically better) ? Ed8 ? D7000 ? others ?

Thanks !

It's also been a while since I had the ESW9, but they for sure sound very different from the t50p - the ESW9 were lush in the mids and slightly soft in the treble, with excellent bass.  The t50p are neither soft in the treble nor lush in the midrange.

They do not sound uneven in the bass to me, at either end - they're admirably uncolored, actually, aside from the very slight reticence in the mids, and the very slight mid-treble accentuation.  But they are really pretty neutral sounding, actually, the more I listen to them.  But they do border on being a touch bright - in the mids and treble, they sound a lot like the DT880.  They don't sound like any of my high-end headphones.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #373 of 866
I don;t subscribe to the "favors this or that genre" theory of headphones (or audio).  Colorations impact music, regardless of genre, IMO.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #374 of 866
Spent some time this morning using the t50p with the iQube V2 today.  I think the t50p actually really sound very good.  After another 24 hours burn in, the treble seems pretty smooth to me now.  I still would never describe the t50p as dark - they are neutral to maybe just slightly bright, but only very slightly.  I'm increasingly impressed with their neutrality - IF they are used amped.  They sound thin connected to an iPod directly.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #375 of 866
Still I am pressed hard to recommend anything above Koss PortaPro or Sennheiser PX 100 for direct use on a portable player, in particular iPod. If T50p (or P3) require a (portable) amp to shine, then why not go for a cheaper  full size headphone (e.g. AKG 271 or 240)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back