Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,851 of 7,916
I didn't spend a lot of time with the S7 Edge, but I didn't really like the sound signature compared to the Note 5. It sounded more v-shaped whereas the Note 5 to my ears was more neutral. Also as an LG V10 owner, I noticed it needed a lot more power to drive by CIEMs. I can't really comment on the other features, but the photos my work colleague showed me that were taken with the S7 Edge looked really nice and he's said the battery life is decent.

I have the Note II (International Version) which has a Wolfson DAC. I'm looking to the HTC 10 to replace it with. It should be a good upgrade as a phone also as obviously the Note II is pretty old (2012). It sucks that the Note is no longer on sale here in the UK. They stopped selling it after the Note 4, with the Edge strangely taking its place.

May 25, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #2,852 of 7,916

I'm planning to write a comparison between the HTC 10, LG V10 and Vivo XPlay 5 once I get the XPlay 5 on loan in the next week. I've already listened to the HTC 10 and LG V10 together. I preferred the V10 to the HTC 10 without a personal audio profile setup. The bass was too prominent in the HTC 10 on some of my test tracks, so that some instruments like drums sounded a little unnatural. Once I set up a personal profile it was a lot better, but I still prefer vocal presentation slightly on the V10. Separation is also a little better. I still think on the audio front the HTC 10 is better than the Samsung S7 and S7 Edge, but I wasn't overly impressed with it as a phone. It does everything well but it didn't wow me in any area. But that means it may be perfect for some people who want a jack of all trades.

Did the HTC 10 have any equalizer enabled? boomsound? eg. is that bassy sound its sound presentation.

May 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #2,853 of 7,916
  Did the HTC 10 have any equalizer enabled? boomsound? eg. is that bassy sound its sound presentation.

I tried out the HTC 10 with the boomsound disabled and no sound profile and the boomsound disabled with a sound profile. I couldn’t bear listening with the boomsound enabled for more than a few minutes. It made the sound much too warm and the mids recessed. It was like night and day once I disabled boomsound. I should add that my custom in ear monitors have slightly enhanced sub-bass and so that could be a factor. Also, if you like a fun sound signature, the extra bass may be what you are looking for. I also listen to a lot of music that is focused on vocals. There are a lot of people who are really impressed with the HTC 10. I would just be reluctant to recommend it to anyone who prefers a more neutral sound.

May 25, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,854 of 7,916

I tried out the HTC 10 with the boomsound disabled and no sound profile and the boomsound disabled with a sound profile. I couldn’t bear listening with the boomsound enabled for more than a few minutes. It made the sound much too warm and the mids recessed. It was like night and day once I disabled boomsound. I should add that my custom in ear monitors have slightly enhanced sub-bass and so that could be a factor. Also, if you like a fun sound signature, the extra bass may be what you are looking for. I also listen to a lot of music that is focused on vocals. There are a lot of people who are really impressed with the HTC 10. I would just be reluctant to recommend it to anyone who prefers a more neutral sound.

Definitely No, please neutral.  though you should post (if possible) different impressions with a more neutral cans/iem/etc

May 25, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,855 of 7,916
i really like the hardware and look of galaxy 7 edge, does it have a dac that supports high res, are there different versions of galaxy 7 edge with different processors and which to get

is the edge so bad in sound quality

May 25, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,856 of 7,916

I'm planning to write a comparison between the HTC 10, LG V10 and Vivo XPlay 5 once I get the XPlay 5 on loan in the next week. I've already listened to the HTC 10 and LG V10 together. I preferred the V10 to the HTC 10 without a personal audio profile setup. The bass was too prominent in the HTC 10 on some of my test tracks, so that some instruments like drums sounded a little unnatural. Once I set up a personal profile it was a lot better, but I still prefer vocal presentation slightly on the V10. Separation is also a little better. I still think on the audio front the HTC 10 is better than the Samsung S7 and S7 Edge, but I wasn't overly impressed with it as a phone. It does everything well but it didn't wow me in any area. But that means it may be perfect for some people who want a jack of all trades.

That would be great if you could put your review comparing HTC 10, LG V10 as all other reviews are focussing on HTC 10 vs LG G5.... Can you add Miezu pro 5 into this list if possible? It should be okay without that too.

PS: I am not an audiophile but checked HTC 10 , LG V10, S7 Edge in T Mobile store using youtube (not the best way) with my SE 535...... I felt LG V10 was slightly better compared to HTC 10..... HTC 10 was airy that didnt sounded natural (especially vocals)....except for that, I found both phones do pretty well in all aspects. Waiting for ur review 

May 25, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #2,857 of 7,916

Thanks for sharing!
Which ciem do you use? :xf_eek:

May 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,858 of 7,916
  i really like the hardware and look of galaxy 7 edge, does it have a dac that supports high res, are there different versions of galaxy 7 edge with different processors and which to get

is the edge so bad in sound quality

Tired of people thinking S7 Edge has a bad sound.

I'll just post some measurements made for the Exynos Korean S7 Edge and for comparisons sake, a V10 one done on an Audiophile site for Koreans.

S7 Edge: https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=52

V10: https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=59

I took a plunge to the S7 Edge without thinking much about sound quality but my ears tell me they are pretty amazing especially with Poweramp Alpha V3 with right settings.

May 25, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,860 of 7,916
Those graphs mean the V10 is superior...it has 120 Dynamic range Vs S7 only 112 ? And the power output ? But anyways, as long as you are happy, it is always your call

I'm not trying to say that the V10 is worse just trying to say that the S7 Edge is far from being "bad" as people many people are calling it and I really don't know how but Poweramp V3 really just about about doubles the volume you can crank out.

May 25, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #2,861 of 7,916
I'm not trying to say that the V10 is worse just trying to say that the S7 Edge is far from being "bad" as people many people are calling it and I really don't know how but Poweramp V3 really just about about doubles the volume you can crank out.

True, S7 is not as bad as other smartphones, but still doesn't make it any closer to any dedicated players. This thread is specially made toward those phones which can perform closer to the dedicated player. Therefore, S7 has not enough credit. Simply put, S7 measurements are better than iPhone 6. However, V10 measures closer to the DAP, and people can hear it, observe it. You just can not blame them for doing just that in a thread which was created for that pure purposes

May 26, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,862 of 7,916
True, S7 is not as bad as other smartphones, but still doesn't make it any closer to any dedicated players. This thread is specially made toward those phones which can perform closer to the dedicated player. Therefore, S7 has not enough credit. Simply put, S7 measurements are better than iPhone 6. However, V10 measures closer to the DAP, and people can hear it, observe it. You just can not blame them for doing just that in a thread which was created for that pure purposes

While phones nowadays have decent audio chips, it will never be able to beat a DAP. Even the V10 will not come close.

Recently LG tried to pit the G5 against a DSLR and tried to market the G5 for its wide angle lens. Unfortunately it will still lose due to the image quality.

In short, things that were made for that sole intended purpose will always perform better than an item that packages everything into 1.

May 26, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #2,863 of 7,916

Hmm I think you are getting me wrong here. I was not debating anything between V10 and S7 Edge; I just was pointing out that S7 Edge does not have a bad sound quality quoting someone who was wondering whether it does or not.

May 26, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #2,864 of 7,916
  Definitely No, please neutral.  though you should post (if possible) different impressions with a more neutral cans/iem/etc

I don’t have any neutral earphones (I assume you mean something like Etymotic). The bass on my custom in ear monitors is only slightly enhanced, as I don’t like strong bass.

That would be great if you could put your review comparing HTC 10, LG V10 as all other reviews are focussing on HTC 10 vs LG G5.... Can you add Miezu pro 5 into this list if possible? It should be okay without that too.

PS: I am not an audiophile but checked HTC 10 , LG V10, S7 Edge in T Mobile store using youtube (not the best way) with my SE 535...... I felt LG V10 was slightly better compared to HTC 10..... HTC 10 was airy that didnt sounded natural (especially vocals)....except for that, I found both phones do pretty well in all aspects. Waiting for ur review 

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the Meizu Pro 5.  The last Meizu phone I listened to was the Pro 4 and I wasn’t overly impressed with it.

You’ve described better than me how vocals sound on the HTC 10 compared to the LG V10.  The latter sounds more natural and I think it is better suited for those who are into vocal orientated music like jazz than the HTC 10.

Thanks for sharing!
Which ciem do you use?
redface.gif

I have a pair of custom in ear monitors made by Custom Art.  The closest earphones I can compare them to is the Hidition NT 6 Pro (but with better vocal presentation).

May 26, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #2,865 of 7,916
To me, the HTC 10 doesn't have that colored vocal or unnatural vocal at all, and I listen to pop music all the time as it is my main genres that I love. I agree the 10 is warmer than the V10, and at the least to me, both are fairly natural with V10 is more neutral and the 10 is more musical. Depends on your taste, but I prefer musicality and eases of use which leans me toward the HTC 10. For further info and discussion, please visit this link

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807570/review-on-htc-10-and-sound-quality/135#post_12606334

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back