Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #2,836 of 7,916
  Does anyone here bought a Huawei P9 Plus?
It has better specs than the HTC 10 with Leica (apparently) camera, bigger battery (3400 mAh), better display (Super AMOLED), Dual-sim capability, IR Blaster, good/better processor (HiSilicon Kirin 955, check speed test on Youtube) and a 24-bit/192kHz audio. Might want to have a little feedback regarding the device's audio capability and if it's good, then it might be my next smartphone Thank you. :)
Edit:
Found some audio graph of Huawei P9/S7/LG V10/HTC 10
imgur(.)com/IV97szlpng
All credits goes to Pocketnow. (youtu(.)be/lHdl4Ep2Vhg?t=270)
So, what do you think?

It's an excellent phone, but no dedicated DAC chip. Huawei phones in general have good (but not amazing) audio quality.

May 24, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,837 of 7,916
  Wouldn't trust their reviews:

They used audiophile jargon so I thought it was worth a read, lol.

We need more comparisons like this though. An audiophile phone SQ shootout.

May 24, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,838 of 7,916
meizu pro 6 review:

Solid audio output

The Meizu Pro 6 delivered excellent output when used with an active external amplifier, getting top marks for clarity and garnishing them with above average volume levels.

Degradation caused by headphones is minimal too with a moderate hike in stereo crosstalk being the only notable change. Volume remained higher than the majority of competitors putting the Pro 6 in a great position here.

And now here go the results so you can do your comparison.

Though I never evar trust gsmarena reviews...

http://www.gsmarena.com/meizu_pro_6-review-1442p7.php

May 24, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2,839 of 7,916
I have a Samsung note 5 and would like to use Vmoda wireless. However Vmoda cfw does not utilize apt-x but it does use aac. So I'm thinking of switching from Spotify to tidal since tidal streams aac.

Would this be the right assumption?
Or am I missing something here that experienced users, of any of the aforementioned, can chime in on.

May 25, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #2,841 of 7,916
there is one more site show excelled audio test and best Review for phone i ever see. some time GSMarena doesnt talk about if mobile has DAC and they dont know which dac it was use if it not mention in specs. but site also give you about the DAC they used even its not specify in there specs. see Gionee S8 review they used AKM4961 DAC which also used in ZTE AXON and heavily promote as 24bit and 192khz

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/editor-review/2710a

May 25, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #2,842 of 7,916
From personal experience. I have never heard anything louder and clearer than Blackberry Passport Silver Edition. That metal body redefined sound reproduction and separation to a new league of its own. 

As of Huawei, the new Mate 8 has very good bass to it. Very crisp and clear but not louder than Passport SE. 

May 25, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2,847 of 7,916
  can anyone compare the htc 10 to others?

I'm planning to write a comparison between the HTC 10, LG V10 and Vivo XPlay 5 once I get the XPlay 5 on loan in the next week. I've already listened to the HTC 10 and LG V10 together. I preferred the V10 to the HTC 10 without a personal audio profile setup. The bass was too prominent in the HTC 10 on some of my test tracks, so that some instruments like drums sounded a little unnatural. Once I set up a personal profile it was a lot better, but I still prefer vocal presentation slightly on the V10. Separation is also a little better. I still think on the audio front the HTC 10 is better than the Samsung S7 and S7 Edge, but I wasn't overly impressed with it as a phone. It does everything well but it didn't wow me in any area. But that means it may be perfect for some people who want a jack of all trades.

May 25, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,848 of 7,916
I'm planning to write a comparison between the HTC 10, LG V10 and Vivo XPlay 5 once I get the XPlay 5 on loan in the next week. I've already listened to the HTC 10 and LG V10 together. I preferred the V10 to the HTC 10 without a personal audio profile setup. The bass was too prominent in the HTC 10 on some of my test tracks, so that some instruments like drums sounded a little unnatural. Once I set up a personal profile it was a lot better, but I still prefer vocal presentation slightly on the V10. Separation is also a little better. I still think on the audio front the HTC 10 is better than the Samsung S7 and S7 Edge, but I wasn't overly impressed with it as a phone. It does everything well but it didn't wow me in any area. But that means it may be perfect for some people who want a jack of all trades.

How does the S7 Edge sound? Is it at an acceptable level? What areas would you say it is better than the HTC 10 as a phone also?

May 25, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,849 of 7,916
How does the S7 Edge sound? Is it at an acceptable level? What areas would you say it is better than the HTC 10 as a phone also?

I didn't spend a lot of time with the S7 Edge, but I didn't really like the sound signature compared to the Note 5. It sounded more v-shaped whereas the Note 5 to my ears was more neutral. Also as an LG V10 owner, I noticed it needed a lot more power to drive by CIEMs. I can't really comment on the other features, but the photos my work colleague showed me that were taken with the S7 Edge looked really nice and he's said the battery life is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back